Pre-Game Talk: Canes @ Leafs, Thursday Oct 26th at 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
They haven't looked very dangerous so far this year. Way too inconsistent and other than Skinner, the entire team is struggling to score. They'll play great defensively one game and only score 1 goal, then score goals and play crappy defensively. Haven't really put together a complete game yet. Skinner, Slavin/Pesce, Lindholm and Fleury have been solid. Hanifin has been bi-polar, kind of like the early version of Gardiner. Other than that, struggling to get it going.
What do you mean early version?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They haven't looked very dangerous so far this year. Way too inconsistent and other than Skinner, the entire team is struggling to score. They'll play great defensively one game and only score 1 goal, then score goals and play crappy defensively. Haven't really put together a complete game yet. Skinner, Slavin/Pesce, Lindholm and Fleury have been solid. Hanifin has been bi-polar, kind of like the early version of Gardiner. Other than that, struggling to get it going.

sounds like you're mising you some rockin' ron hainsey!

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
But he is now, and that's a good thing. Could very well be on pace for a career year. Not sure why this is a bad thing, while much inferior players like Martin get the "Wow he's so needed on this team!"

Scoring goals and putting up points is part of the game.

You just don't get it, "thats ok" the game is what it is for some:laugh:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That's right you don't understand. You know who does? Brett Hull who didn't start competing until Hitchcock got his hands on him. His goals and points went down but he became a much better player to his team in the name of winning than he was as an 86 goal scorer. You know who else understands? Steve Yzerman when Scotty Bouwman got his hands on him and flat out told Yzerman how he has to change if he wants to win. The result was a player who became one of the all time great complete hockey players.

Now ask yourself this. Why can't JVR change? Why can't he compete, forcheck, win puck battles for his team mates? He's not good enough to get by with just skill while his line mates do all the work to get him goals. That's not winning hockey.

Your right goals are important but the HOW they get those goals is even more important. JVR is a dog period.

Jeez I didn't know I hit such a nerve.

I never said he wasn't bad defensively and I never alluded that it wasn't important. What I said was that goals are important and he's doing that no matter what you think of his complete game. And to say that his teammates do all the work and he scores the goals is absolutely 100% wrong and you're just making stuff up at this point.

You bring up Yzerman but I can bring up someone like Ovechkin. Plenty of players that are top end scorers, even hall of famers and cup winners, despite not being studs defensively.

JVR has been this kind of player for a long time, for better or worst. His consistency and numbers speak for themselves. All this started by ACC saying he wishes to have JVR traded despite his career year start, which is absurd. If you want to complain about players and wishing some of them traded, the list starts much after JVR.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Jeez I didn't know I hit such a nerve.

I never said he wasn't bad defensively and I never alluded that it wasn't important. What I said was that goals are important and he's doing that no matter what you think of his complete game. And to say that his teammates do all the work and he scores the goals is absolutely 100% wrong and you're just making stuff up at this point.

You bring up Yzerman but I can bring up someone like Ovechkin. Plenty of players that are top end scorers, even hall of famers and cup winners, despite not being studs defensively.

JVR has been this kind of player for a long time, for better or worst. His consistency and numbers speak for themselves. All this started by ACC saying he wishes to have JVR traded despite his career year start, which is absurd. If you want to complain about players and wishing some of them traded, the list starts much after JVR.

Agreed he has been that way for a long time and his removal has been a long time coming.
He may be further down your list but he's at the very top of many peoples.

As always, no one has an issue with his offense.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Agreed he has been that way for a long time and his removal has been a long time coming.
He may be further down your list but he's at the very top of many peoples.

As always, no one has an issue with his offense.

Should have been traded this summer for sure but now that's here and contributed this well, I don't know why'd you want him shipped out, barring some sort of great return.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Should have been traded this summer for sure but now that's here and contributed this well, I don't know why'd you want him shipped out, barring some sort of great return, barring some sort of great return.
A great return isn't expected but in the long run the team will be better off for it.
Nothing has changed in his play from the previous years to this year, why would the desire to move him change?

Anyway, enough about this plug. Big Game tonight!

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Playing in the NHL at absolute league minimum is not equal to playing in the NHL at $4.5M AAV. The 2016-17 version of Brooks Laich still isn't an NHL player.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It's a shame when people can only see one move at a time on a chess board.

Pulling off multiple dependent deals is difficult. For example, Lou wants to trade JVR for futures and then use those futures in a deal for a top 4 d-man. So, Lou trades JVR to Team A, thinking he has a deal with Team B for the d-man. But then what happens if the second deal falls through?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Pulling off multiple dependent deals is difficult. For example, Lou wants to trade JVR for futures and then use those futures in a deal for a top 4 d-man. So, Lou trades JVR to Team A, thinking he has a deal with Team B for the d-man. But then what happens if the second deal falls through?
You bank the futures and move on.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

There's always another deal coming down the pipe. The beautiful thing is that there's no rush. If we say get the guy we need next year instead of this year, that's OK too. We've got a whole decade or so to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad