Confirmed with Link: Canes get Niederreiter for Rask!?!?

JacquesCousteau

a great caniac
Jun 6, 2018
I like the trade, but it doesn't change the Ferland calculation for me. Adding $1-2 million to the payroll of a team at the bottom of the NHL shouldn't make a difference. We can, contrary to the apparent belief of the organization, have more than one big body who hits people. In fact, if they can skate and score you can't have too many guys like that.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
Clarkson was 29, Ferland is 26.

Ferland is 2 months older than Greg McKegg.

Lucic was 28 when he signed with Edmonton, and had a lot more mileage than Ferland does.

More importantly, guys like Clarkson and Lucic have fallen off the map because they can't skate and the NHL game has evolved past them. Ferland isn't the quickest player but is perfectly able to play the current NHL style of hockey.

Your point stands (and if we go 6x6 for him it will indeed be a genuine concern of mine), but he's got a few years leg up on some of the standard comparison. My bigger concern with extending Ferland is that his career high in points is 41 and I'd be afraid he "declines" because he's simply not that good and we end up with Brock McGinn's production from last year for $6m per year.

Even with all of the above I still think extending Ferland at a fair number is pretty critical, but it would have concerns.

The most is like to do is around 5x5. If he takes less years I’d go up on that but I wouldn’t go over 6 for 5+ years.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Great idea in theory, but they weren't getting rid of rask for a pick at his salary. Much better to get a decent player back even at more salary.

Even if Nino has regressed, he's regressed less than Rask has and he brings a power forward aspect the team needs, and one that Rask doesn't appear to be bringing anymore.

Resistance is futile.

If Nino bounces back and can score 20 goals, I agree with this.

We didn't sign Rask to be a sheddable contract, we signed him to be a valuable hockey player. The only good shedding his salary would do is give us more room to try to bring in valuable hockey players.

If Nino returns to form and is a valuable hockey player, it's well worth "not shedding salary."

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I like this trade, Nino is the best player now, but I don't think MN got totally fleeced. Rask looked like a 50 point center not too long ago, while Nino has regressed from what looked like a 50 point winger. Rask has been terrible (going back to last season, like Nino), but he did just come back from a bad injury, all the while missing training camp/preseason. It's hard to catch up in the NHL. Plus Rask also makes less money.

I agree, there's definitely a risk if Rask is not fully healed from the great avacadoing of 2018. But as you said, Rask had regressed before that so you are hoping for a change of scenery helping both.

Worth the risk to get someone who brings something needed to the forward set. Which is weird for me to say when the Canes are dealing away a center.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
the thing about this that is most exciting for me is that nino has never been given a real opportunity to play top six minutes with skilled players despite the depth the wild have had over the years. despite that, his advanced stats have always been super impressive. to put up 20 goals from a 3rd line/2nd unit powerplay position for 3 straight years is not something many are capable of doing.
That's not true. Nino played with Eric Staal (the good Eric Staal), Granlund (great passer), Koivu, etc.. Was also given chances on the PP, but was mediocre there, though that isn't all on him. Last year he fought through injuries, but this year has just been fighting the puck.
If nothing else, he will be a physical top 9 player who plays two ways. There is no doubt that he can be more than that. He's not old, so I find it hard to believe that his scoring touch has left him.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
If Nino bounces back and can score 20 goals, I agree with this.

We didn't sign Rask to be a sheddable contract, we signed him to be a valuable hockey player. The only good shedding his salary would do is give us more room to try to bring in valuable hockey players.

If Nino returns to form and is a valuable hockey player, it's well worth "not shedding salary."

No, but Rask wasn't returning what he was when that contract was signed. The Canes would likely have to give an additional asset or retain dead money to get rid of him without a contract coming back.

Nino will be slightly more expensive than Rask:
19-20: $1.85M salary increase
20-21: $0.25M salary increase
21-22: $1.425M salary increase

but even if he remains playing how he played the last 2 years, he will fill his role better in CAR than Rask was.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
A lot of twitter people talking Rask up. This is getting good. Did you guys know he's a better finisher than Nino? 1 goal in 26 games, and I think it was a deflection. Better finisher.

Deflected off his ass iirc

No, but Rask wasn't returning what he was when that contract was signed. The Canes would likely have to give an additional asset or retain dead money to get rid of him without a contract coming back.

It was rumored at the draft that montreal backed down at the last minute from giving up 2 2nds for rask. That's what im basing my "just dump him" speculation on.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Nino will be slightly more expensive than Rask:
19-20: $1.85M salary increase
20-21: $0.25M salary increase
21-22: $1.425M salary increase

but even if he remains playing how he played the last 2 years, he will fill his role better in CAR than Rask was.

Re-read my post, I think we are in violent agreement.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We are losing a K in rask and not getting any back.

Fire Waddell already pls
Kounterpoint: niederreiter means 'mean mounted man-at-arms'

DlyhQkHWwAAJ_np.jpg

Here to knock down your village walls and burn the mother down.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Wow. I like Nino Niederreiter and was hoping he'd fall to us in 2010. Still remember watching him score the OT game 7 winner against Colorado 5 years ago. Victor Rask as we all know wasn't playing anywhere near his contract status and the fact that most of us were not worried about him sitting out with his injury to start the season is telling.

I'd like to think we fleeced Minnesota here but I've also been a fan for too long to know that even moderate trades like this don't always pan out. There must be something going on with Nino in Minnesota because to my knowledge he was a fan favorite there, at least during the 2014 playoffs if nothing else. Perhaps something on our end too, like an offer for Ferland that's too good to pass up on.

Whatever the case may be, I'm glad to see that dead weight is beginning to get shipped off. Best of luck though to Victor in Minnesota.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Bring in a #2C (Let's say Schenn) and re-sign Ferland.

Ferland-Aho-TT
Svechnikov-Schenn-Svechnikov
Foegele-McKegg/Bishop-Williams
McGinn-Wallmark-Martinook

Going to CapFriendly to see if this can happen, pls stand by.

EDIT: not the lines, since the lines imply Jordan Staal being hit by a bus and Svechnikov cloning himself. But I'll try the moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad