Confirmed with Link: Canes get Niederreiter for Rask!?!?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Idk, rask for nothing was the big candidate to shed salary. They turned around and reinvested that in nino. I'd be shocked if they signed ferland now.

Great idea in theory, but they weren't getting rid of rask for a pick at his salary. Much better to get a decent player back even at more salary.

Even if Nino has regressed, he's regressed less than Rask has and he brings a power forward aspect the team needs, and one that Rask doesn't appear to be bringing anymore.

Resistance is futile.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
More salary but one fewer year, so total owed is about the same. This feels like Fenton just got mad and found someone who would take Nino's contact. Change of scenery for both guys.

I hope they don't see Nino as our Ferland replacement.
I think this is part contingency and part supplementation if that makes sense. As in even if we don't trade Ferland, we still needed another top 6 but that can bang

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
What’s interesting is that Nino has to play better than he has the last 2 years to earn his $5.25 million.

He’s scoring at 20-21-41 pace over that time period where he’s underperformed.

Ferland is playing the best hockey of his life and is producing at a 24-23-47 pace over that time.

This is why it’s nuts to pay Ferland $6 mil+. He has to get better to earn that much if a guy like Nino is in the dog house for a shit contract producing at a 6 point fewer pace.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Wait, what? How the ****? Even if Nino is overpaid and paid more, Rask's usefulness per salary is in the dividing by zero category, so this is still a big improvement. Is Minny hard up against the cap or something?

I mean, holy hell, that's a good trade for us. Waddell did a good thing!

But I'll still be pissed if we don't re-sign Ferland. We can still afford him too.

Usefulness/salary being divided by zero implies that his salary is zero.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
For me it sounds less redundant and more #ChangingTheCulture to a tougher team to play against.

Have to be careful with guys like Ferland though.. Guys like Clarkson were around the same age when they cashed in. It's a hard brand of hockey to maintain into your late 20's and 30's.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
At face value it’s great.

A) we get the guy more likely to rebound.

B) Nino is much faster so we get quicker, as just subtracting Rask makes us quicker.

C) gives a little room at center now that all of Bishop, Wallmark and Mckegg have all shown themselves to be useful.

D) Rask has been struggling to find a place anywhere since last year.

Bad?

A) Ferland maybe gone. I don’t feel better because of Nino.

B) Nino makes more money so if he doesn’t turn it around that’ll hurt.

Good post.

Nino doesn't make Ferland expendable. Even if you consider them the same player, if we get rid of Ferland the net result is just getting rid of Rask, which isn't terrible but certainly not a steal.

Then consider that Ferland and Nino aren't the same player, and Ferland's game is a huge part of this roster this year...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
See the post above yours. I understand the want for Ferland but paying an excess premium to a guy that hasn’t earned it is not the way to do business.

What more could Ferland be doing right now to earn a fair extension? What bigger expectations could the Canes possibly have had for Ferland when they acquired him that he isn't meeting? Is the answer that he could never "earn" a fair contract based on his play this year because he doesn't have the history?

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I like this trade, Nino is the best player now, but I don't think MN got totally fleeced. Rask looked like a 50 point center not too long ago, while Nino has regressed from what looked like a 50 point winger. Rask has been terrible (going back to last season, like Nino), but he did just come back from a bad injury, all the while missing training camp/preseason. It's hard to catch up in the NHL. Plus Rask also makes less money.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Let's be honest Nino doesn't have to improve much to make this a major win for us. Rask was that slow, and useless. He has exactly 1 goal in his past 26 games, and wasn't the goal he scored in his first game back? It's a solution to our bottom 6 log jam at center, which hopefully can only improve as Necas eventually arrives.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
the thing about this that is most exciting for me is that nino has never been given a real opportunity to play top six minutes with skilled players despite the depth the wild have had over the years. despite that, his advanced stats have always been super impressive. to put up 20 goals from a 3rd line/2nd unit powerplay position for 3 straight years is not something many are capable of doing. an anecdotal aside, but ive had nino in a keeper league for years and just recently traded him and told the other team owner that as soon as he was traded and given a slotting more befitting his skill he would bounce back. beyond excited that he gets his first crack at significant minutes here.

the weird subtext to this might be what it means for ferland. trading for a guy who makes $5.5 or so seems like these two moves might be related somehow. by slotting and potential role as a power game presence, though nino isn't a traditional power forward as he just plays a heavy game, we may be signaling that the market for ferland just opened up in earnest.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
the thing about this that is most exciting for me is that nino has never been given a real opportunity to play top six minutes with skilled players despite the depth the wild have had over the years. despite that, his advanced stats have always been super impressive. to put up 20 goals from a 3rd line/2nd unit powerplay position for 3 straight years is not something many are capable of doing. an anecdotal aside, but ive had nino in a keeper league for years and just recently traded him and told the other team owner that as soon as he was traded and given a slotting more befitting his skill he would bounce back. beyond excited that he gets his first crack at significant minutes here.

the weird subtext to this might be what it means for ferland. trading for a guy who makes $5.5 or so seems like these two moves might be related somehow. by slotting and potential role as a power game presence, though nino isn't a traditional power forward as he just plays a heavy game, we may be signaling that the market for ferland just opened up in earnest.

There’s a guy on the main board saying Nino has played with forwards a lot better than Aho and TT so he expects him to be even worse in Carolina.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
What more could Ferland be doing right now to earn a fair extension? What bigger expectations could the Canes possibly have had for Ferland when they acquired him that he isn't meeting? Is the answer that he could never "earn" a fair contract based on his play this year because he doesn't have the history?

You don’t just say “he’s playing good, so let’s give him whatever he wants.” You look at the market and comparables. By all accounts he’s not asking for 5 million. Rumors are he’s in the 7 million range. He deserves an extension but not at an overpayment for what he’s bringing now and especially not for 7 years at his age and the type of game he plays.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Have to be careful with guys like Ferland though.. Guys like Clarkson were around the same age when they cashed in. It's a hard brand of hockey to maintain into your late 20's and 30's.

Clarkson was 29, Ferland is 26.

Ferland is 2 months older than Greg McKegg.

Lucic was 28 when he signed with Edmonton, and had a lot more mileage than Ferland does.

More importantly, guys like Clarkson and Lucic have fallen off the map because they can't skate and the NHL game has evolved past them. Ferland isn't the quickest player but is perfectly able to play the current NHL style of hockey.

Your point stands (and if we go 6x6 for him it will indeed be a genuine concern of mine), but he's got a few years leg up on some of the standard comparison. My bigger concern with extending Ferland is that his career high in points is 41 and I'd be afraid he "declines" because he's simply not that good and we end up with Brock McGinn's production from last year for $6m per year.

Even with all of the above I still think extending Ferland at a fair number is pretty critical, but it would have concerns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad