Seravalli: Canes asking for a 5th for DeAngelo; will retain 50%

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
-History of racism
-Strong politics, has threatened people over it
-Has attacked refs several times
-Got in a fist fight with the Rangers goalie over not making saves
-Teams have scratched him for poor work ethic and his personality

I tried not to bring that up as there are several posters that suggest none of the happened and I am tired of the argument.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A good article on this that someone on the Canes board posted.

"I signed here to be here,” DeAngelo said of the rumors. “I had other options. … The fans are great here, I love the city, the teammates are great — can’t ask for anything better than these guys. But yeah, I want to play. So if that’s gonna be here, great. If it’s gonna be somewhere else, that’s gonna be fine as well because as a competitor. I’m not going around asking for trades, it’s not really what I’m all about. … And I don’t want to sound selfish in a sense, because we’ve got a great team, we’ve got a chance to win.

“But for me, the most important thing is to be able to help the team compete, not by watching the game. So I don’t know if I would say I’m expecting it as the next couple weeks go, but I wouldn’t be surprised either.”

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
last time we had a discussion for him. There were several posters who more or less denied the stuff happened and that the media made a big deal over nothing
proof?

There's video evidence that he got in a fight with his goalie, so nobody would deny that happening.
There's video evidence of his altercation with a referee and box scores showing the penalties, so nobody would deny that.
It's clear he's been scratched by a few coaches, so nobody would deny that. Although the reason's aren't always clear. "Poor work ethic and Personality" hasn't been an issue in Carolina.
He was suspended for his comments in Junior hockey so there's a record of that.

I'm not aware of the specifics of him threatening people over politics so I won't comment on that one.

It might be fair to say some posters don't think these issues are as big of a deal as others do, but I've never seen any poster say NONE OF THIS HAPPENED, which is what you were asserting.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
You mean Tony DeAngelo, who has played 384 NHL games in the regular season and playoffs and has 220 points in the NHL is similar to Josh Ho-Sang, who (checks notes) has 53 NHL games and 24 points?
When talking about wasted potential, he's probably event worse.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
he'd be awesome on the Oilers. Kane, Perry and DeAngelo the redemption arc trio

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Tony's biggest issue is he's not very good defensively. He's good offensively, an excellent passer and can run the PP, but this year, paired with Orlov, he hurt the team more defensively than he helps offensively. That's how it can be UNLESS he has a very strong partner on defense.

In his first stint with Carolina, Slavin was his partner and while it worked well, it's hard to have him on your top pairing in the playoffs. When Chatfield got hurt recently, they didn't stick him with Orlov, they put Orlov with Pesce and put Tony with Skjei and it worked fine.

It's why Carolina only signed him (twice) at a low AAV. They didn't view him as a $5M defenseman and why they moved him to Philly. They view him as a ~$1M defenseman because of his limitations.

Personally, I'd keep him as the Canes will have injuries and will need depth in the playoffs, but I understand how it goes.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would imagine a RHD who can move the puck at such a cheap rate would be pretty interesting to most teams looking for additional depth. I didn't realize Toronto had under $150,000 in available LTIR cap since they seem like a team that could use not just a RHD but one who can move the puck.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
proof?

There's video evidence that he got in a fight with his goalie, so nobody would deny that happening.
There's video evidence of his altercation with a referee and box scores showing the penalties, so nobody would deny that.
It's clear he's been scratched by a few coaches, so nobody would deny that. Although the reason's aren't always clear. "Poor work ethic and Personality" hasn't been an issue in Carolina.

I'm not aware of the specifics of him threatening people over politics so I won't comment on that one.

It might be fair to say some posters don't think these issues are as big of a deal as others do, but I've never seen any poster say NONE OF THIS HAPPENED, which is what you were asserting.
Part of the issue is the juniors thing. It’s always been portrayed as racist when there’s been little to no confirmation of what was said. He broke a policy that covers a lot more than racism. When we signed him the first time I looked back on it all and the only things I found suggested it was anti semitic statements, not racist. Not that it should matter of course, though sadly I think it does to a lot of people. He’s always been adamant he isn’t racist. This is the only thing I can currently find that says the junior thing wasn’t racist. It’s where also Marc Staal defended him overall. This is where there started to be some rebound on the whole “bad teammate” thing where it became clear that we don’t get the full picture. He’s been popular in locker rooms, and it seemed like he was in NY. Seems he’s polarizing there too, you loved him or you hated him but there was the side that loved him. The Canes players all seem to love him.

Tony DeAngelo bares his soul in first comments since Rangers exile

As far as work ethic? That doesn’t make any sense at all with the Canes. He overworks. He’s so busy moving his feet he skates right past the play, he’s too impatient to stay in place and let the play come to him sometimes.

When he was young he was definitely a prick. He put himself in some bad spots and he definitely got punished for it. As an adult his politics made him hard to like, and for awhile he couldn’t shut up. I don’t defend him but I definitely feel there’s inaccuracies in the casual defamation of him we see so frequently. Many of us wanted to hate him as a Cane, but he never stepped out of place once. He’s never complained when he sat, and he always sat for not being a great defender and no other reason. He was borderline shockingly good two ways his first go around with the Canes. I think he took the brunt of the Orlov debacle early on, many of his mistakes were trying to fix unfixable situations that started with an Orlov moment. He’s not great at cleaning up other guys mistakes. He’s an interesting story. It’s hard for Canes fans to join the mob with their unwavering condemnation, he gave us nothing to work with there.

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I believe he’s obviously a problem fit for this team, and he doesn’t fit. It’s this or waivers.
And you are basing this off what, exactly? Canes fans have already explained that he’s well-liked on the team and has played well enough. He just finds himself the #7 and wants to play regularly, obviously. But please tell us how he’s a problem fit.

Because human nature happens in a locker room.

Sometimes as fans, we tend to see things on paper, and view players as robots almost. Especially since the salary cap era began.

Carolina only has themselves to blame on this one. They know his history. As long as things are rolling along at his pace, everything’s great. Hand him a shred of adversity, he’ll bring everything around him crashing down. He’s proven it everywhere he’s ever played. They were naive to think they were any different.

Carolina only has themselves to blame and are naive? For what?

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
proof?

you just need to look at ANY previous thread on him and people pipping in.

Reactions: MiddleEarth

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I could see Minnesota taking a chance with Spurgeon out for the year, and maybe seeing if he fits for next year because of how badly they need cheap talent.

Dallas for their bottom pairing too? I feel like they could use one more righty.

Toronto needs more defensemen too but offense isn't the type they should be looking for
ehh, no. They got rid of Addison, who had a similar game(not personality), and Bogosian has been a surprisingly good fit as RHD. Chisholm has come it as a waiver wire guy and done alright as a #2PP guy.

The reason that DeAngelo is going is because he is a terrible defender - can't speak to his personality. Spurgeon is(was) the furthest thing from that. All they have in common is that they are both diminutive and RHD.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
don't get why they wouldn't just keep him for depth, he played fine in the few games chatfield was out

seems like it’d be more beneficial to hang into him as a 7D since they have zero AHL depth other than Dylan Coghlan. Would be Cane-sy of them to make their big deadline acquisition a D instead of the forward they need,
I think they will prefer to do just that if they can't get an asset for him, but it seems like they are doing this on behalf of the player. Either that or they found a way to get Nikishin out of Russia a year early.

Reactions: Tryamw

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Still don’t understand why they signed him when they had Burns.
He was insurance because we expected to lose Skjei or Pesce and thought we were going to have to roll a TDA-Chatfield 3rd pair. When the trade market for both kind of fizzled, and he showed horrible chemistry with Orlov to start the year, he had no place on the team anymore.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad