Seravalli: Canes asking for a 5th for DeAngelo; will retain 50%

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
DeAngelo probably ends up in Europe next year, right? I'm a bit surprised how rapidly he fell off, he was good for the Hurricanes in 21-22 (to the point where Fletcher traded a ton for him) but got worse with the Flyers and has just bottomed out this year.

He's not exactly young but it's a pretty sharp decline for his age I think.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Well.... scumbag that might fill a need and cost nothing. And perhaps a scumbag that isn't so scummy? (I really don't know all of what he has done)

-History of racism
-Strong politics, has threatened people over it
-Has attacked refs several times
-Got in a fist fight with the Rangers goalie over not making saves
-Teams have scratched him for poor work ethic and his personality

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
How good is he? Not top 4D anymore?
Who gives away a top 4 RD for a 5th at 50% retention? The Canes are essentially doing him a solid.

He did play top 4 when Slavin was his partner 2 seasons ago. He had a sensational regular season and really bad series against the Rangers. Had a horrible season in Philly because they didn’t have a Slavin to insulate him. He’s been bad this year, cause again, no Slavin and he had zero chemistry with Orlov.

He’s actually played quite well the past few games he’s been in when Chatfield has been out. He fits in well paired with Skjei. Most Canes’ fans would probably rather hold onto him as the 7D than trade him for a 5th, but again, looks like the Canes are trying to do right by him.

Anything more than sheltered minutes and PP time for him is asking for trouble unless a team can play him with an elite defensively minded partner.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I could see Minnesota taking a chance with Spurgeon out for the year, and maybe seeing if he fits for next year because of how badly they need cheap talent.

Dallas for their bottom pairing too? I feel like they could use one more righty.

Toronto needs more defensemen too but offense isn't the type they should be looking for

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
DeAngelo probably ends up in Europe next year, right? I'm a bit surprised how rapidly he fell off, he was good for the Hurricanes in 21-22 (to the point where Fletcher traded a ton for him) but got worse with the Flyers and has just bottomed out this year.

He's not exactly young but it's a pretty sharp decline for his age I think.

That was Slavin’s Picasso. If there was any doubt about how good he is/was (who carried who debates with Hamilton), that definitively answered it.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
How would any of us know what the team thinks of him?
Well known to be an extremely popular guy in every locker room hes been in. Fyi, rangers players hated georgiev. Look no further then when georgiev played at msg his first game back as an av and basically flipped the rangers bench off after the game.

Reality of the situation was rangers used it as an out as they couldnt have the right side of their D making $23mm between him, trouba and fox.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder will Treliving do it?

If it was Dubas NO SHOT

But it's not Dubas anymore now it's Treliving and TDA has talent That's never been a question, he's a 4 time 30+ point D man, 3 times he's hit 40+ points and 2 times 50+ points.

Is there enough talent there for Treliving to look passed the fact thar TDA IS a piece of shit, and he's a piece of shit, when your goalie punches you in the face you are a piece of shit.

But as I said the talent can't be question and a 5th is cheap enough that I wonder if Treliving looks past TDA being a piece of shit and takes a chance

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

If it was Dubas NO SHOT

But it's not Dubas anymore now it's Treliving and TDA has talent That's never been a question, he's a 4 time 30+ point D man, 3 times he's hit 40+ points and 2 times 50+ points.

Is there enough talent there for Treliving to look passed the fact thar TDA IS a piece of shit, and he's a piece of shit, when your goalie punches you in the face you are a piece of shit.

But as I said the talent can't be question and a 5th is cheap enough that I wonder if Treliving looks past TDA being a piece of shit and takes a chance
Hes not a piece of shit but you are of course entitled to your opinion.

Anyway, Keith loves him (his jr coach) and he will be a Leaf. Was supposed to happen a couple months back

Reactions: JunkyardKangaroo

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He can’t really be on the team long enough for his toxicity to infect the team, but who knows

850k AAV right shot, and nobody is biting.

I’d put money on future considerations being the cost for the acquiring team

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hes not a piece of shit but you are of course entitled to your opinion.

Anyway, Keith loves him (his jr coach) and he will be a Leaf. Was supposed to happen a couple months back

I think if your goalie punches you in the face that says A LOT about you as a person, that doesn't just happen.

But you don't have to be a good person to be good at your job, Antonio Brown, Jon Jones are 2 examples of that.

There is enough talent there that somebody will look past his crap, and there is a need in Toronto

Reactions: MD93 and dukeofjive

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020

If it was Dubas NO SHOT

Waffle waffle

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm curious as to what Carolina's problem was with him?

Early in the season, he and Orlov were the bottom pairing. It was a disaster from the get-go. Part of that was because Orlov was still adjusting to Carolina’s system, but neither were playing with any kind of competency.

So after switching D pairs around, playing shuffleboard with the surplus defensemen we had, it became clear that Chatfield and Orlov should be our bottom pair, leaving TonyD in the press box for most of the season.

Now, we’ve had injuries to our defense throughout the year, and each time, DeAngelo has stepped into the lineup and looked fine. He’s not complained about sitting, he’s not starting fights, whathaveyou. He’s simply practicing and waiting for his chance to play again. We certainly wouldn’t mind keeping him to step in when injuries inevitably arise in the playoffs.

So I imagine that this trade request must come from Tony’s camp in an attempt to give him more ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad