GDT: Canadiens @ Devils 7pm EST MSGSN, ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
I think we need to give Daws a break on that last goal. It was literally a knuckle puck slap shot and he still managed to get a majority of it, there was barely a rebound and he was still in good position. Nemec lost his battle with Monahan and Marino lost his battle with Caufield. Armia made a nice pass off the boards but I don't think he should have been able to do that either.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
want daws to have that but the d man had all the time in the world to walk in from the blue line and slap it from between the circles. he made the first save and it’s up to the dmen to tie up players and clear the rebound at that point not quit on the play

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Truth to what you say.

But I think Ruff see's there being an underlying mindset issue with Holtz. Smith as a perfect counterexample makes a ton of gaffe's but I definitely don't question his dedication. Holtz? Too much giggling on the bench, and that spills onto the ice.

who gives a shit what they do on the bench? "too much giggling on the bench"? How do you even know that? Do you watch him on the bench every game?

Absolutely insane response.

so youre saying that its okay for Brendan Smith to f*** up a ton because he is serious on the bench? good lord dude.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
who gives a shit what they do on the bench? "too much giggling on the bench"? How do you even know that? Do you watch him on the bench every game?

Absolutely insane response.

so youre saying that its okay for Brendan Smith to f*** up a ton because he is serious on the bench? good lord dude.
"absolutely insane response"

Dude it's not that serious.

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
Truth to what you say.

But I think Ruff see's there being an underlying mindset issue with Holtz. Smith as a perfect counterexample makes a ton of gaffe's but I definitely don't question his dedication. Holtz? Too much giggling on the bench, and that spills onto the ice.
So in essence Ruff is blaming Holtz for the Devils season so far? 🤣🤣🤣

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
that’s nonsense holtz has been making surprisingly good defensive plays all season. he throws his body around more than we’ve seen and he has his head up creating in the offensive zone. he earned a chance and it’s lunacy at this point that the team has all these injuries and can’t score 5v5 and ruff is stapling him to the bench

He hasn't been a ghost. He's not good defensively and probably never will be, but he's been mostly responsible this season.

The lines were all going last night, doing what they were supposed to. I don't see a spot for Holtz, kicking out either Bratt or Mercer from the 'top 6'.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He hasn't been a ghost. He's not good defensively and probably never will be, but he's been mostly responsible this season.

The lines were all going last night, doing what they were supposed to. I don't see a spot for Holtz, kicking out either Bratt or Mercer from the 'top 6'.
But could he be on the 3rd line? 9 minutes of 5v5 ice time as compared to 5.

That said the Haula line with Bastian was good last night(but no goals).

Reactions: My3Sons

Camille the Eel

But the D-man didn't score the goal. Daws needs to handle that puck, and Marino, who was right there, needs to tie up the opposing player.
The goal is 90% on Dawes. He can’t drop a rebound on a shot to his chest there right at the feet of the opposing forward and lose the game with 5 minutes to go. I’m not usually a blame the goalie guy because goalies get beat. But that was one juicy rebound.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
God forbid someone have fun playing the game lol
I'm not looking to make this my argument, as I'd like to see Holtz play more, and I do think enjoying playing the game helps one to play well, but if you want to win, there does need to be a level of maturity and professionalism.

Someone posted Novo's tweet from a couple years ago regarding Bratt's ice time. Has Bratt developed into a top player under Ruff? Yes. So hopefully we see this stern handling of Holtz lead to the same. We certainly have seen a big step up yoy from Holtz.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The goal is 90% on Dawes. He can’t drop a rebound on a shot to his chest there right at the feet of the opposing forward and lose the game with 5 minutes to go. I’m not usually a blame the goalie guy because goalies get beat. But that was one juicy rebound.
I don't know about 90%, it was a good initial look from the point, Daws did make the initial save, and the defense did let opposing fwd's get to the rebound.

But some criticism of Daws is warranted.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, I really don't know what the right answer is. I think about VGK, BOS, COL, FLA or SEA...When I watch them, nobody ever seems to take a shift off. They are all really intense on the puck - not flawless play but players who make quick decisions, try to punish players on 50/50s and just PITA teams.

Is that players or culture? How much of either? Does that mean you cannot have 1-2 outliers?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
players who make quick decisions
I think the Devils high risk, read and react system slows all the players down.

The Devils need to see the puck, read the opponents, read his teammates, and then also confirm his teammates made the same read before the Devil knows his choice isn’t going to leave a massive opening.

Also, the Devils collapse into the slot, regardless of opponent shape, when they aren’t applying pressure. Other teams appear to know this and spread their players out wide so the Devils have to waste time and energy to even get close to a guy and hassle them. Other teams keep plays a little or a lot closer to the opponents when the puck isn’t near.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This L felt like it was mostly from poor finishing. But that last goal was quite stinky from Daws.
I’d also add in that the 3rd period was our worst. We got pinned in for more of it than not after tying the game.

It felt like most of the shifts were in our D-zone. Same shit with Florida for the last two periods, but we were up by 3 and 2 goals for all of that game and never tied.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Ruff is confused because pre-Twitter, there's no way you would get questions every day about the Devils' maybe 8th or 9th best forward when healthy.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad