Prospect Info: Canadiens 2016 Rookie Tournament Thread (Sept 16th to 18th)

Jul 6, 2016
McCool have been cut as well.

Do they really need other players for the AHL team? they look pretty complete no?

Samuelsson-Johnston
Henley-Lernout
Parisi-Didier

Thrower

They might also send a guy like Redmond who would be on the first pairing and probably be the best defenceman.

what about Simon Bourque ?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The Houle days showed what a huge mistake it was not to give our prospects NHL ice time to see what they can do.

People have concerns about Hudon, fine. But for me the question is has he done enough in the NHL to warrant some real NHL ice time ? Am I concerned he is such a liability he will cost us almost every game he plays in ? My answers are yes and no. You play him 7-8 games in a row and give him 10 minutes a game, what is the worst that will happen ?

Only X number of guys make it to the NHL, Hudon looks good enough at least that you don't risk that he may be one of those Xs without giving him a good look.

Last year and this year are really important in seeing what our pool of offensive forward prospects can do in the NHL. Need to play them.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Being patient with prospects is definitely a good thing. It is never a good idea to hand any player the keys to the house. They will need to deserve it.

Believe me, I'm a huge fan of Hudon. I am totally rooting for this guy, he's a winner and he's the kind of player that you just hate to have on the other team. But all this talk of mismanagement and unfair treatment is a joke. The kid still has stuff to improve.

The last thing you want is to have these guys get to the NHL and have to water down their game. I have seen it happen too many times, a kid gets to the bigs and stops trying new stuff... Hudon is a really really creative player, I am fine with him trying out a bunch of stuff down in the AHL...just as long as when he comes up he can work some magic.

It's hard as fans, but patience is so key and I am really happy the organization is taking their time with the young guys and making them earn their spots. We will be a better team for it.

Looking forward to seeing Brett Lernout's development this year....

Yeah me too. He was looking so good before the injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
In regards to Fucale...yes it's disappointing that he hasn't developed better..and there's a decent chance that he doesn't become an NHL regular...that's why NHL teams don't draft goalies in the first round any more....there are two NHL positions for goalies..lots of them don't make it.

Pan the pick if you like, but the fact remains that the Habs needed a young goalie in the system at the time, and the consensus was that he was the best goalie in his draft year...he was a proven winner, and thought by some to be a first-round pick.

The Habs had three picks in the second round of that draft...approximately 33 percent of 2nd round picks become regulars. it was a good time to use a second on a goalie..and it looks like at least two of those three picks will be regular NHLers in DLR and Lehkonen. That's a pretty good average. If all three make it..it's damn good..and against the odds.

Since he was drafted Condon has surprised, and the signing of Lindgren and Montoya bolstered the depth...if Fucale doesn't make it with the Habs it won't be because he blew a clear opportunity..being one of the two best players at a specific position at the NHL level is no small feat...yes..even for second-round picks. Price's injury redulted in need to acquire depth in case it happens again...that's not Fucale's fault...that's the way things sometimes go.

He's young..there's still lot of time..maybe he makes it down the road with another team..who knows...I do know that it wasn't a stupid pick at the time despite cries to the contrary.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
In regards to Fucale...yes it's disappointing that he hasn't developed better..and there's a decent chance that he doesn't become an NHL regular...that's why NHL teams don't draft goalies in the first round any more....there are two NHL positions for goalies..lots of them don't make it.

Pan the pick if you like, but the fact remains that the Habs needed a young goalie in the system at the time, and the consensus was that he was the best goalie in his draft year...he was a proven winner, and thought by some to be a first-round pick.

The Habs had three picks in the second round of that draft...approximately 33 percent of 2nd round picks become regulars. it was a good time to use a second on a goalie..and it looks like at least two of those three picks will be regular NHLers in DLR and Lehkonen. That's a pretty good average. If all three make it..it's damn good..and against the odds.

Since he was drafted Condon has surprised, and the signing of Lindgren and Montoya bolstered the depth...if Fucale doesn't make it with the Habs it won't be because he blew a clear opportunity..being one of the two best players at a specific position at the NHL level is no small feat...yes..even for second-round picks. Price's injury redulted in need to acquire depth in case it happens again...that's not Fucale's fault...that's the way things sometimes go.

He's young..there's still lot of time..maybe he makes it down the road with another team..who knows...I do know that it wasn't a stupid pick at the time despite cries to the contrary.

good post. Never really thrilled with the pick but at the time most we're fine with it for our 3rd pick of the draft.

There was a pretty vocal (and fairly sizeable) group that didn't like the pick and so far they're right imo.

Hardly a bad pick at the time and still might work. Crisp on the other hand (though I liked him more than most and has been really hampered by injuries) over Bjorkstrand was just bad judgement.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
good post. Never really thrilled with the pick but at the time most we're fine with it for our 3rd pick of the draft.

There was a pretty vocal (and fairly sizeable) group that didn't like the pick and so far they're right imo.

Hardly a bad pick at the time and still might work. Crisp on the other hand (though I liked him more than most and has been really hampered by injuries) over Bjorkstrand was just bad judgement.

There really wasn't much else there in that round and the team had 3 picks so why not roll the dice. If we had only one 2nd and wasted on Fucale I could understand the outrage but we had 3 shots take the guy who is highly rated. And Fucale's career isn't over. OMG he let in a weak goal in his first game in a few months at a rookie tournament he might as well quit now. ;) How about we let him play another season or two in the AHL before we call him done. I don't think he will ever play full time for the habs but he can build up his value. Martin Jones got a 1st rounder so you never know what a goalie can return for you (and yes I know today Fucale isn't a martin jones). Agree with what you wrote.

Agree with your take on Crisp, and don't forget Duclair wasn't far off either. Both of those would have been better options.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
How is he doing so far? Only saw a few highlights where he completed beautiful plays by (I think) Sergachev? How is his development?

Just because I answered the trivia question doesn't mean I know **** about said player..........lmfao

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site

Well said. He is still young...but it's not looking great for him. I don't regret the pick in fact I think it was the right place to pick him. It's very tempting for us to go back and pretend like we knew more than we did....but we never remember all the busts we would have taken, just the winners!

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't mind that much the Fucale pick but I would have liked us to select Santini instead who is exactly the type of defenseman that we need.

As for the big miss in 2013 it was selecting Connor Freaking Crisp over Anthony Duclair.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I don't mind that much the Fucale pick but I would have liked us to select Santini instead who is exactly the type of defenseman that we need.

As for the big miss in 2013 it was selecting Connor Freaking Crisp over Anthony Duclair.

Seems like a Burke type pick, which to me has BargainBin's grubby mits all over it. But I guess without proof I'll have to blame Timmins. I can't believe they passed up on a Quebecois that freaking good for Connor Crisp one of the biggest long shot prospects.

Of course hindsight and all, but it seemed like a long shot pick even at the time. Was Duclair really that underrated his draft year? Were Crisp and Andrighetto so sought after that we couldn't have taken Duclair first and still gotten Crisp or Ghetto with our 2nd pick of that round? Again I understand it's hindsight and have no problems with Ghetto, he was picked after Duclair anyways, but I don't recall Crisp being on peoples radars much at the time and figure we could've gotten him later and still had Duclair and Ghetto.

I guess the habs brass thought very highly of Crisp or basically felt Duclair was an even bigger long shot.

EDIT: Mock drafts:

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2013/ (No Crisp in any round)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Seems like a Burke type pick, which to me has BargainBin's grubby mits all over it. But I guess without proof I'll have to blame Timmins. I can't believe they passed up on a Quebecois that freaking good for Connor Crisp one of the biggest long shot prospects.

Of course hindsight and all, but it seemed like a long shot pick even at the time. Was Duclair really that underrated his draft year? Were Crisp and Andrighetto so sought after that we couldn't have taken Duclair first and still gotten Crisp or Ghetto with our 2nd pick of that round? Again I understand it's hindsight and have no problems with Ghetto, he was picked after Duclair anyways, but I don't recall Crisp being on peoples radars much at the time and figure we could've gotten him later and still had Duclair and Ghetto.

I guess the habs brass thought very highly of Crisp or basically felt Duclair was an even bigger long shot.

I don't know how much scouting MB does at the junior level but when I heard about the Crisp pick I thought of Shane Churla, who clearly has some clout since management created a new position for him when they brought him over. But it's too bad that he's been injured the whole time so that we could at least see what he can do.

I also don't mind the Fucale pick, we badly need to vastly improve our goalie prospect depth and have done so and then some. I still don't know what to even make of Fucale who imo was better then his numbers show last year and that defense in front of him was very young/inexperienced once they lost Barberio aside from the short time Bartley was there. I know people knock management for getting Bartley, but since Tinordi likely wouldn't have cleared waivers or so I would assume, it goes to show that you some times need to make trades that mainly just benefit your AHL club. that defense badly needed a vet, since it was made up of all 1st/2nd year pros in Didier, Johnston, Lernout, Hanley, Bennett with the vets being Ellis and Dietz who was a 3rd year pro that missed half a season.

Bartley made a noticeable difference and it meant that Dietz could go from being exposed on the top pairing to being back on the 3rd pairing where it was much better for him and the team. Granted they didn't keep him but I'm sure Fucale was glad to have the help.

Now the question is what do we see this year, since assuming Condon clears waivers, likely means Fucale goes to the ECHL or they go with 3 goalies which sounds terrible since the IceCaps didn't have many 3 in 3 days and you want both Lindgren and Fucale to get games in. So if he's in the ECHL, perhaps it will give him more time to fix the rebound issues he has.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

EDIT: Mock drafts:

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2013/ (No Crisp in any round)

Patrick Roy coached him then signed to coach with the Avs that year, I remember he was very critical on him saying he was selfish, didn't pay the price against better teams and scored a lot of his points against weaker competition.

The Avs had a chance to grab Duclair in the second and third rounds and clearly Roy did nothing to influence management to take a shot on him.

The Rangers had three third round picks that year and didn't take him until their third pick, considering 29 other teams passed on him and it took the Rangers until their third pick in the third round to select him it showed he just wasn't highly sought after.

Kudos to Duclair, he had talent all along, but he matured a lot and worked hard to get where he is. A ton of talented junior players lack the drive and that's why they fall, but the odd ones like Duclair manage to turn things around and end up being successful.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Patrick Roy coached him then signed to coach with the Avs that year, I remember he was very critical on him saying he was selfish, didn't pay the price against better teams and scored a lot of his points against weaker competition.

The Avs had a chance to grab Duclair in the second and third rounds and clearly Roy did nothing to influence management to take a shot on him.

The Rangers had three third round picks that year and didn't take him until their third pick, considering 29 other teams passed on him and it took the Rangers until their third pick in the third round to select him it showed he just wasn't highly sought after.

Kudos to Duclair, he had talent all along, but he matured a lot and worked hard to get where he is. A ton of talented junior players lack the drive and that's why they fall, but the odd ones like Duclair manage to turn things around and end up being successful.

Fair enough, to be honest I'm more surprised about the Crisp pick than I am about us not choosing Duclair anyways. After the 2nd round it becomes more of a crap shoot, if any of those guys were sure fire things they'd probably have been scooped up by latest the late 2nd. But looking over that mock draft and not seeing Crisp makes me wonder if it's an oversight by the mock people or if he was really see as a guy who would go undrafted, tough on google to find mock ups of all 7 rounds.

If Crisp was indeed pegged to go undrafted or 7th rd etc, I find it puzzling we would use a 3rd rounder on him, but I guess since teams draft lists can be so vastly different it is understandable. Maybe 2-3 teams saw him as a 3rd/4th rounder and 27-28 teams didn't see him on their radar at all. I guess you don't take a risk and you just take whoever is next on your list no matter how unlikely it is they get taken or not.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Being patient with prospects is definitely a good thing. It is never a good idea to hand any player the keys to the house. They will need to deserve it.

Believe me, I'm a huge fan of Hudon. I am totally rooting for this guy, he's a winner and he's the kind of player that you just hate to have on the other team. But all this talk of mismanagement and unfair treatment is a joke. The kid still has stuff to improve.

The last thing you want is to have these guys get to the NHL and have to water down their game. I have seen it happen too many times, a kid gets to the bigs and stops trying new stuff... Hudon is a really really creative player, I am fine with him trying out a bunch of stuff down in the AHL...just as long as when he comes up he can work some magic.

It's hard as fans, but patience is so key and I am really happy the organization is taking their time with the young guys and making them earn their spots. We will be a better team for it.

Yeah me too. He was looking so good before the injury.

Patience is key, and Hudon admitted in an interview that the big 'hit' that the Habs brass have on his game is that he tends to cheat a little bit to get more points, so he had to break that habit. To me he's on the way to be a good Plekanec replacement, they will bring him up when he's ready, as a 2-way player, who plays center and can do it all (he has the IQ to do it). If they bring him up now I fear they will play him on the wing and then he becomes unidimensional, while at center he's really good he hustles a lot and has very good playkaking skills and creativity, and can finish as well. I think they want him to refine his defense and when DD's gone we're going to see Hudon as our third line center (much like how they brought up Plek).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Since when are Lehkonen and DLR "on track" to make the NHL? What track is this?

Lekhonen was the best player in the SHL last year... We know you like to hate on things for the sake of hating, but Lekhonen might just be our best prospect.

DLR has already made the NHL as a bottom line player, no matter how inept offensively.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

With Habs loading up in goalies, bad knees and his contract up in '18...makes a fellow think they are planning a post-Price era.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: