Prospect Info: Canadiens 2015 Rookie Tournament Thread (Sept 11th to 13th) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
My takes:

Thrower was a nice surprise, I had kind of written him off in my head but I like that Bergevin said that this should be considered his rookie year. There's work to do but he had a good showing.

Lernout was also a nice surprise as well. Don't know what his upside is but he has a lot of likeable tools.

McCarron had some ups and downs, I would have liked to have seen him be an even more dominating presence offensively but I don't see why he won't at least be a valuable bottom six NHLer. A 6'6" guy who can play in front of the net on the PP, play on the PK, take defensive draws, and throw down when he has to....30 teams in the league would have room for a guy like that, no question.

Bozon I seem to like more than some here. He's not a guy who will drive the play by any means but I think he could be a good finisher down the line. He has good instincts around the net. Needs to get stronger though.

McNiven was impressive, earned a longer look. Micelli as well, two bright spots from the invite list. I agree with montreal, invites to AHL camp are in order at the very least. Watson looked pretty good on the PK but I'm not sure there's anything there that you can't find elsewhere with more experience.

Johnston was very impressive as well, probably the surprise of the tourney for me. Looking forward to seeing what he can do on a regular basis.

I think it's fair to have expected more from Scherbak, even though he put up some points. Needs to add a lot of strength and work on his balance. He lost way too many board battles for my liking. He's definitely got work to put in.

Same for Bennett as far as expecting more. He wasn't terribly noticeable.

Hudon was his usual hardworking, crafty self. Nothing not to like.

pc_md summed up my thoughts on Gregoire, what you see is what you get.

Fucale I could take or leave. There's just something about him that consistently fails to inspire confidence. The fundamentals are there and I hope he can put it together.

Carr was a little bit of a disappointment but showed some flashes that there could be an NHLer in there, or at least a good AHLer. He's definitely a guy who comes alive when the puck is on his stick but is hard to find otherwise.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
From what I've seen and read, the performance in the 3 (or 2) games:
Johnston >= Hudon >> Miceli >> McCarron > Sherbak > Bozon

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
From what I've seen and read, the performance in the 3 (or 2) games:
Johnston >= Hudon >> Miceli >> McCarron > Sherbak > Bozon

I would say Hudon was the best player for the Habs in the tourney, Johnston was likely the biggest surprise. Miceli wasn't the best invite imo, McNiven was although it was only 1 game, he had a good showing in that game and is several years younger.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's really bad news for Audette.. it's your second year post draft and you didn't impress enough to come around for one pre-season game?

Bourque and Addison make sense, they're not going to make the team, they're late rounders from this past draft.

Looks like there will be no representatives other than Juulsen from the 2015 draft at this years pre-season.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
That's really bad news for Audette.. it's your second year post draft and you didn't impress enough to come around for one pre-season game?

Bourque and Addison make sense, they're not going to make the team, they're late rounders from this past draft.

Looks like there will be no representatives other than Juulsen from the 2015 draft at this years pre-season.

Must be a big deception for Audette. Any news of McNiven ?

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Not an Audette fan at all, wish him the best but Im glad the organization isnt playing favorites because of his dad, he's a perfect fit for the Euro leagues.

Looks like they dont want too many bodies at camp because Addison had a decent weekend.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Not surprised with Audette and Bourque going back already, neither were very impressive.

Don't agree with Addision. At all.

It does seem odd since the OHL season doesn't start till the 24th, figured they would at least let him train with the Habs until then vs playing pre-season games in the OHL.

Matt Bradley is still there?

haven't heard what's up with Bradley, he appeared in a pre-season game on the 5th but hasn't played since then.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
haven't heard what's up with Bradley, he appeared in a pre-season game on the 5th but hasn't played since then.

It sounds an awful lot like Brady Vail's first year with Montreal after they drafted him.

Went to development camp... Habs brass wasn't impressed, he was the only draft pick not invited to rookie camp that year....

They gave him other chances, but the team never seemed impressed with him. Hopefully Bradley works out differently (if he's getting the same punishment),.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
It sounds an awful lot like Brady Vail's first year with Montreal after they drafted him.

Went to development camp... Habs brass wasn't impressed, he was the only draft pick not invited to rookie camp that year....

They gave him other chances, but the team never seemed impressed with him. Hopefully Bradley works out differently (if he's getting the same punishment),.

I remember hearing from multiple people that Vail had a really ****** attitude, and that he wasn't exactly thrilled to be drafted by the Habs.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
My impressions from sitting in the stands for 2 of the 3 games this weekend.

Thrower: Still a longshot to ever wear a habs uniform in an actual NHL game. Might be ok as an AHL Dman. Don't get me wrong - I like the kid, but it's hard to see him being top-7 on an actual NHL roster.

Lernout: Tinordi-lite. People hyping Lernout and trying to compare him favorably to Tinordi right now need to remember that Tinordi would have looked great at Lernout's age in a tourney like this (could Lernout be as effective in the U20 WJC? - I think not). Where Tinordi struggles is in his decision-making at the NHL level, and Lernout hasn't been tested there at all yet. Reserve judgement until he's forced to make the kind of quick decisions that are required in the big leagues. Great shot, though. Nice mean streak. Great hitter. Can actually fight - unlike Tinner. Loveable....but not likely an NHLer.

McCarron: He is a mortal lock to get 10+ games with the big club this season, IMO. The most NHL-ready of the prospects. Limited offensive upside. Bottom 6 player. But.... he's an NHL-worthy player. Much like JDLR, only not as good defensively. Would look great on the 4th line cycling and controlling the puck deep in the offensive zone. Nice skating for a kid his size, above average defensive instincts even if not JDLR-level. MT will like him. Also, he still gets gassed easily and is always the first player on his line to go to the bench for a line change (to his credit, though, he works HARD on his shifts). Of course, we have a zillion 4th liners under contract already...but McCarron will get 10 or more games - BOOK IT.

Bozon: Louis Leblanc v2.1. Won't last in Montreal, if he ever gets there.

McNiven: Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Micelli: had a couple of great games and deserves a long look at camp.

Scherbak: looked disinterested and like a prototypical enigmatic Russian. Hopefully he's just a little dinged up or something. Where is that verve and energy he shows in his interviews? Good vision and obvious skills, though.

Bennett: might get a game or two with the big club over the course of his career. Does not have any attributes that make him top-10 on our D depth chart.

Hudon: Meh. Jan Bulis part 2.

Gregoire: what you see is indeed what you get....and Gallagher does it better already.

Fucale: long term project at best. His positioning and reflexes are okay, but he's prone to braincramps. Might be better than Tokarski one day.

Carr: Not an NHLer. Will be a distant memory on these boards a year from now.

Audette: DD-lite. Looks and plays just like his dad, without as much offensive production. Extreme long-shot to be an NHL regular.

Addison: Maybe...just maybe...he might turn into a Max Lapierre-type NHLer...which isn't really that bad.

Didier: Reminded me a bit of Donald Dufresne. If Sylvain Lefebvre sees the same thing...that might keep Didier around for awhile.

All in all, a good bunch of kids, but no one to drool over.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
My impressions from sitting in the stands for 2 of the 3 games this weekend.

Thrower: Still a longshot to ever wear a habs uniform in an actual NHL game. Might be ok as an AHL Dman. Don't get me wrong - I like the kid, but it's hard to see him being top-7 on an actual NHL roster.

Lernout: Tinordi-lite. People hyping Lernout and trying to compare him favorably to Tinordi right now need to remember that Tinordi would have looked great at Lernout's age in a tourney like this (could Lernout be as effective in the U20 WJC? - I think not). Where Tinordi struggles is in his decision-making at the NHL level, and Lernout hasn't been tested there at all yet. Reserve judgement until he's forced to make the kind of quick decisions that are required in the big leagues. Great shot, though. Nice mean streak. Great hitter. Can actually fight - unlike Tinner. Loveable....but not likely an NHLer.

McCarron: He is a mortal lock to get 10+ games with the big club this season, IMO. The most NHL-ready of the prospects. Limited offensive upside. Bottom 6 player. But.... he's an NHL-worthy player. Much like JDLR, only not as good defensively. Would look great on the 4th line cycling and controlling the puck deep in the offensive zone. Nice skating for a kid his size, above average defensive instincts even if not JDLR-level. MT will like him. Also, he still gets gassed easily and is always the first player on his line to go to the bench for a line change (to his credit, though, he works HARD on his shifts). Of course, we have a zillion 4th liners under contract already...but McCarron will get 10 or more games - BOOK IT.

Bozon: Louis Leblanc v2.1. Won't last in Montreal, if he ever gets there.

McNiven: Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Micelli: had a couple of great games and deserves a long look at camp.

Scherbak: looked disinterested and like a prototypical enigmatic Russian. Hopefully he's just a little dinged up or something. Where is that verve and energy he shows in his interviews? Good vision and obvious skills, though.

Bennett: might get a game or two with the big club over the course of his career. Does not have any attributes that make him top-10 on our D depth chart.

Hudon: Meh. Jan Bulis part 2.

Gregoire: what you see is indeed what you get....and Gallagher does it better already.

Fucale: long term project at best. His positioning and reflexes are okay, but he's prone to braincramps. Might be better than Tokarski one day.

Carr: Not an NHLer. Will be a distant memory on these boards a year from now.

Audette: DD-lite. Looks and plays just like his dad, without as much offensive production. Extreme long-shot to be an NHL regular.

Addison: Maybe...just maybe...he might turn into a Max Lapierre-type NHLer...which isn't really that bad.

Didier: Reminded me a bit of Donald Dufresne. If Sylvain Lefebvre sees the same thing...that might keep Didier around for awhile.

All in all, a good bunch of kids, but no one to drool over.

lol. its funny you mentioned about 15 names and you liked maybe 2 of them and you still think its a good bunch of kids. hahahha.

I disagree with you about Lernout, I'd be surprised if he didn't make the big club at some point. At least he'd be a great bottom pairing guy.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
lol. its funny you mentioned about 15 names and you liked maybe 2 of them and you still think its a good bunch of kids. hahahha.

I disagree with you about Lernout, I'd be surprised if he didn't make the big club at some point. At least he'd be a great bottom pairing guy.

Actually, it wasn't an impressive bunch. Not becuase of what they might show in the future....but for what they showed in this tournament. Not exactly detrimental to him...but when Ryan Johnston is your most impressive prospect....you then know they weren't as a bunch that impressive. But there are still quite a few hopefuls for the future for sure...nobody is or should write anybody off based on this tournament.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Gainesvillain you must be a Maple Leaf fans.

:help:

Hudon = Jan Bulis 2.0
McCarron= 4th line center
Scherbak= an enigmatic Russian

Don't quit your day jobs.......And get back to the Leafs board for everyone sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad