GDT: CANADIANS @ DRW

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Wouldn’t be against healthy scratching Seider and Walman for that performance.
How do he not rip Gallagher's head off when he wanted to drop the gloves??? He is too soft sometimes. Kick his f***ing ass and get a rep no one wants a piece of!!!!

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I just expected, or hoped for them to really put it to Montreal after the last showings. It's one thing to get goalied but this didn't happen. They just looked like that sloppy, half hearted team and again taking dumb penalties.

Lose to Columbus and it could get real ugly coming back from Sweden.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I just expected, or hoped for them to really put it to Montreal after the last showings. It's one thing to get goalied but this didn't happen. They just looked like that sloppy, half hearted team and again taking dumb penalties.
As I asked on the prior page, who is the player on this team who will be the heart-and-soul guy? Who's the vocal leader who gets into other players' faces when they're coming out flat?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I dunno. It just feels like this organization has Draper’s handprints all over it. Like this team is somehow built in his image. A bunch of players signed, drafted, and traded for who play “the right way” while completely ignoring the skill that allows those types of players to be successful. Up and down the lineup, on the back end, up front, in the minors - it’s all a bunch of hard hat types with questionable skill and IQ. It’s like Draper has forgotten that the only reason the “grind line” was a thing was because there were routinely 2-3 other lines of smart, skilled players who took most of the heat. We’ve amassed a bunch of players who only ever looked good because they were surrounded by other good players. Now we’re asking those players to keep their own lines afloat and surprise - they aren’t good enough to do it. Too much emphasis on “playing the right way,” not enough on skill, talent, and drive.

And acquiring Petry was so f***ing useless.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I dunno. It just feels like this organization has Draper’s handprints all over it. Like this team is somehow built in his image. A bunch of players signed, drafted, and traded for who play “the right way” while completely ignoring the skill that allows those types of players to be successful. Up and down the lineup, on the back end, up front, in the minors - it’s all a bunch of hard hat types with questionable skill and IQ. It’s like Draper has forgotten that the only reason the “grind line” was a thing was because there were routinely 2-3 other lines of smart, skilled players who took most of the heat. We’ve amassed a bunch of players who only ever looked good because they were surrounded by other good players. Now we’re asking those players to keep their own lines afloat and surprise - they aren’t good enough to do it. Too much emphasis on “playing the right way,” not enough on skill, talent, and drive.

And acquiring Petry was so f***ing useless.
You under rate the warm fuzziness of a hometown kid feel good story...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If they suck we suck, basically the same start to the season record wise

Yeah, I don't really get the Montreal sucks thing here. Montreal played a really good defensive game and gave nothing. I know everyone is blaming the Wings for just not being better, and sure there's stuff to improve absolutely, but credit where it's due. I don't think Montreal is a free win.

This was a coinflip game that went to OT and was decided due to a really weird and fluky penalty to the goalie.

I hope to see improvement but I'm not seeing this unmitigated disaster like described. But perhaps this is because I've been watching the games without the GDT up lately and finding much respite in that.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA

Lose to Columbus and it could get real ugly coming back from Sweden.
I don't fault you for that expectation at all. The way we played the first few weeks, we looked damn good. The PP was clicking, the PK was good, we were decent all around.

But now, we're not challenging with good chances on the power play, we're weak on the penalty kill, and we're still not playing well in front of our goalies. Sure, Husso and Reimer both could stop pucks better, but it ultimately boils down to team defense and team discipline. We don't have to go to the PK if we don't take stupid penalties, Reimer.

I'm not going to sit here and say we've regressed, even if that's how it appears. However, I will say we stopped playing to our full potential. and that's an issue Lalonde and team leaders really need to work out.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Am I pissed they lost? Absolutely... But anybody can beat anybody on any given night and it's game 14 jeez
Yeah but it was also just 6 games when the Wings were 5-1 and people were talking about the Wings being back and how great DeBrincat is. DeBrincat had 12 points in those 6 games. He's had 2 in the 8 games since and the Wings have gone 2-4-2. So what's the real Wings?

I figure they just started the season on a hot streak, now it's a slump, they'll have a few more of each and will finish in the middle of the pack.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
The way I see it we are likely in-between our first half of games and how we have performed lately... I think it's fair to get frustrated more this year than in the past purely because of comments from Lalonde, Yzerman and the team. No one said the word playoffs but they made every indication this was the next step, to be more competitive. It's definitely early and if a team has your game plan and you don't adapt, it's going to be difficult. Time to get back to the drawing board on some plays.. the automatic drop on the PP has been so close to being intercepted on guys without thought turning and throwing the pass regardless. Scrap that for now, or use more caution.

Petry looked bad tonight but most the D did so I will give him a mulligan for tonight.

Top line needs to play with more jam or needs to be broke up for now. Unfortunately we don't have any big guys playing well enough to slot in with some of our skill guys.

Overall still think it's an improvement over last year by a significant amount but if that translates will be TBD.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
The only defense I can give Reimer is maybe he thought he still had the puck and was actually trying to cover and get a whistle.

Not saying I believe it, but it wouldn't shock me.

Still stinks we lost this one. November was a bad month for this team last year and looks like it could be again this year.

burbankmarc

Oct 17, 2014
As I asked on the prior page, who is the player on this team who will be the heart-and-soul guy? Who's the vocal leader who gets into other players' faces when they're coming out flat?
Lol yeah, this is the only thing missing...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Overall still think it's an improvement over last year by a significant amount but if that translates will be TBD.

That's where I'm at. This team is looking better than it has in years. And I'm reminding myself, hot start or no, the expectations this year were for a competitive but incomplete product. And I'd say it's living up to that standard.

Teams that win every game they "should" win are perennial contenders. Who thought that was the 2023 Red Wings?

This team has a positive goal differential through 14 games. Has that happened the last half decade? I dunno. Someone figure that out for me.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
God this reminds me so much of 3-4 years ago when we went 4-1 to start the season and Mantha had 4 goals against Dallas and everyoneeeeee was saying the tide had turned and “we were back” and playoff bound…..just for us to lose our next 7 of 8.

Truth is, I think we’re the same team we’ve been for the last 8 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad