Olympics: Canada's lineup in 2018

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Scheifele was surprisingly dominant in a defensive role on the big ice at the World Championship this year. I am guessing that he is in contention for a spot as RW on the defensive line.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Brad Marchand - Sidney Crosby - Patrice Bergeron
Taylor Hall - Connor McDavid - Steven Stamkos
Jamie Benn - John Tavares - Tyler Seguin
Logan Couture - Jonathan Toews - Mark Stone
Nathan MacKinnon

Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty
Marc-Edouard Vlasic - PK Subban
TJ Brodie - Shea Weber
Morgan Rielly

Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Martin Jones

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Brad Marchand - Sidney Crosby - Patrice Bergeron
Taylor Hall - Connor McDavid - Steven Stamkos
Jamie Benn - John Tavares - Tyler Seguin
Logan Couture - Jonathan Toews - Mark Stone
Nathan MacKinnon

Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty
Marc-Edouard Vlasic - PK Subban
TJ Brodie - Shea Weber
Morgan Rielly

Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Martin Jones

Getzlaf has had a better tourney than Stamkos...that's for sure...Bring him back and move Tavares to wing...

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Getzlaf has had a better tourney than Stamkos...that's for sure...Bring him back and move Tavares to wing...

I'm not basing the team just on this tournament. I feel like Getzlaf will start declining and Stamkos will be rejuvenated with Drouin.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Seguin-McDavid-Benn
Hall-RNH-Stone
Mackinnon-Scheifele-Drouin
Gallagher-Monahan-Domi

Brodie-Barrie
Rielly-Parayko
Murray-Ekblad

Price
Holtby

Young mode, we all saw how good U23 was. I think without any doubt this team could win gold. And keep in mind that they will be really hungry, speedy and gritty which will be perfect in big rinks and they will be 2 years older from now.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
My vote goes to McLellan and a 2015 Prague like approach than the 2014 Babcock Sochi approach.

Can't really comment on what's currently going on as I haven't watched any of it, but I am aware of who's playing well and who isn't. Can't escape it, unless I go off grid somewhere in the wilds of Alaska.

I agree, McLellan would certainly be my first choice for head coach should Babcock resign as head coach of Team Canada (which I believe he'll do, win or lose this week). The style of play employed in Prague by McLellan and his staff was hugely effective, not to mention entertaining. I'm hoping that him being tabbed as head coach of the NA U24 team at this WCOH is indicative of Hockey Canada's view of McLellan as Babcock's successor.

In terms of this WCOH, I was in South America last week so the only action I've been able to catch were some bits and pieces of last night's game. The NA U24 and Canadian games have been PVRd, I'll get to them at some point.

McLellan should definitely be involved. Not sure he can be made head coach at this point, but his system worked incredibly well on the large ice. I'm going to abstain from making a roster until I get sufficient reviews of the players in the current unpleasantness, but for the large ice surface Canada should trade a bit of speed for size. At the moment I can envision two pretty distinct ways that the team can be built. One model for speed, one for two way ability.

The biggest issue with Babcock returning is that he stays loyal to some familiar players even when their play is sliding. Babcock is a great coach, but if he returns then Canada is going to need a strong GM.

I agree with all of this. Obviously the first step in determining a management team and coaching staff for South Korea is concluding on NHL participation. In terms of Babcock, yes, he does demonstrate loyalty to and trust in those who have performed well for him in the past, but leaving Corey Perry off the original roster suggested to me that he's willing to turn the page on a declining player if and when necessary (assuming he had influence over those final few roster decisions, which I believe I read that he did). Some tough decisions will need to be made in 2018 on the "Class of 2005" - guys like Getzlaf, Perry, Carter, Weber, and Bergeron and as you say experience, trust and two-way play will certainly need to be balanced-off against speed and skill on the larger ice surface.

Again, it all comes down to the composition of the management team and coaching staff.

Scheifele was surprisingly dominant in a defensive role on the big ice at the World Championship this year. I am guessing that he is in contention for a spot as RW on the defensive line.

Indeed he was, and reviews of his performance at the WCOH (under McLellan, notably) were very positive. Under a scenario where Babcock doesn't return as head coach, I could certainly see McDavid (obvious), Schiefele, MacKinnon, Rielly, and Ekblad promoted to the Big Boy team, with Stone and Hall potentially finding roster spots as well depending on how the brain trust feel about guys like Couture or O'Reilly. If roster sizes are the same in South Korea as they were in Sochi, we can bring 14 forwards and 8 defencemen so there are a few additional spots for these younger guys plus the natural turnover.

Like you I'll need to go back and watch the games to get a sense as to how everyone performed.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Seguin-McDavid-Benn
Hall-RNH-Stone
Mackinnon-Scheifele-Drouin
Gallagher-Monahan-Domi

Brodie-Barrie
Rielly-Parayko
Murray-Ekblad

Price
Holtby

Young mode, we all saw how good U23 was. I think without any doubt this team could win gold. And keep in mind that they will be really hungry, speedy and gritty which will be perfect in big rinks and they will be 2 years older from now.

You mean the U23 that never even made it past round robin? They were exciting, but they can't even hold Canada's jock strap.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Benn-McDavid-Seguin
Hall-Tavares-MacKinnon
Oreilly-toews-stamkos
Dechene

Keith
Weber
Doughty
Pietro
Ekblad
Vlasic
Subban

Price
holtby

Took a shot at some line combinations for forwards. Not sure about defence pairs. These are the players I can see making it. Would be an amazing team

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I agree, McLellan would certainly be my first choice for head coach should Babcock resign as head coach of Team Canada (which I believe he'll do, win or lose this week). The style of play employed in Prague by McLellan and his staff was hugely effective, not to mention entertaining. I'm hoping that him being tabbed as head coach of the NA U24 team at this WCOH is indicative of Hockey Canada's view of McLellan as Babcock's successor.

In terms of this WCOH, I was in South America last week so the only action I've been able to catch were some bits and pieces of last night's game. The NA U24 and Canadian games have been PVRd, I'll get to them at some point.

I agree with all of this. Obviously the first step in determining a management team and coaching staff for South Korea is concluding on NHL participation. In terms of Babcock, yes, he does demonstrate loyalty to and trust in those who have performed well for him in the past, but leaving Corey Perry off the original roster suggested to me that he's willing to turn the page on a declining player if and when necessary (assuming he had influence over those final few roster decisions, which I believe I read that he did). Some tough decisions will need to be made in 2018 on the "Class of 2005" - guys like Getzlaf, Perry, Carter, Weber, and Bergeron and as you say experience, trust and two-way play will certainly need to be balanced-off against speed and skill on the larger ice surface.

Again, it all comes down to the composition of the management team and coaching staff.

Indeed he was, and reviews of his performance at the WCOH (under McLellan, notably) were very positive. Under a scenario where Babcock doesn't return as head coach, I could certainly see McDavid (obvious), Schiefele, MacKinnon, Rielly, and Ekblad promoted to the Big Boy team, with Stone and Hall potentially finding roster spots as well depending on how the brain trust feel about guys like Couture or O'Reilly. If roster sizes are the same in South Korea as they were in Sochi, we can bring 14 forwards and 8 defencemen so there are a few additional spots for these younger guys plus the natural turnover.

Like you I'll need to go back and watch the games to get a sense as to how everyone performed.

Other than the players named to this team (originals plus replacements) there are still plenty out there with a chance, depending no what the team wants. I agree with the names you threw out. Hall, Stone, McDavid, MacKinnon, Scheifele, Rielly, Ekblad. Right now I would guess that McDavid and MacKinnon are very good shots to make it, and I'm high on Stone too. I also think Ryan Murray, Subban, Letang have opportunities on defence, and Brodie seems like the best Keith replacement available.

I doubt that I will end up watching any of the games from the current tournament even when it's over, but the good thing is that almost all of the contenders are known quantities internationally. Basically only Brodie and Letang are question marks internationally. In any event, even if the NHL is going, it will be difficult to make guesses until the coaching staff is announced.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Benn - McDavid - Seguin
Duchene - Tavares - Getzlaf
Couture - Toews - O'Reilly
MacKinnon

Keith - Doughty
Vlasic - Weber
Pietrangelo - Subban
Ekblad

Price
Holtby

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Other than the players named to this team (originals plus replacements) there are still plenty out there with a chance, depending no what the team wants. I agree with the names you threw out. Hall, Stone, McDavid, MacKinnon, Scheifele, Rielly, Ekblad. Right now I would guess that McDavid and MacKinnon are very good shots to make it, and I'm high on Stone too. I also think Ryan Murray, Subban, Letang have opportunities on defence, and Brodie seems like the best Keith replacement available.

I doubt that I will end up watching any of the games from the current tournament even when it's over, but the good thing is that almost all of the contenders are known quantities internationally. Basically only Brodie and Letang are question marks internationally. In any event, even if the NHL is going, it will be difficult to make guesses until the coaching staff is announced.

I'm a supporter of Murray, Brodie and Letang as well. Whoever the head coach is, I fully expect them to name at least 3 LHSs of the 8 defencemen, given Pietrangelo's demonstrated ability to play on his off side. From the current team, we have Keith (injured), Vlasic, Bouwmeester, and Muzzin. I've gotta think that Vlasic is a lock. Keith turns 35 in July 2018, so he's getting up there, but is still operating at an elite level and his skating and puck-moving ability will be much-needed on the international ice surface. Bouwmeester should be thanked for his exemplary service to his country and put out to pasture after the WCOH. Babcock is unwilling to utilize Muzzin, and instead prefers Pietrangelo on his wrong-side. Maybe a little bit of buyer's remorse on Muzzin, which tends to happen when you overthink things and overlook superior players.

So assuming Keith and Vlasic are locks, there's 1, probably 2 LHS spots open for 2018, with the following players in contention - in my perceived order: 1) Brodie; 2) Rielly; 3) Murray. Brodie can strengthen his position, IMO, by getting his a** over to Europe this spring should Calgary miss the playoffs. It's also possible that Rielly surpasses him in on-ice performance over the course of the next season. Murray doesn't have the same offensive upside as Rielly, but is a steady presence and would be more of a substitute for Vlasic or Pietrangelo than, say, Keith.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm a supporter of Murray, Brodie and Letang as well. Whoever the head coach is, I fully expect them to name at least 3 LHSs of the 8 defencemen, given Pietrangelo's demonstrated ability to play on his off side. From the current team, we have Keith (injured), Vlasic, Bouwmeester, and Muzzin. I've gotta think that Vlasic is a lock. Keith turns 35 in July 2018, so he's getting up there, but is still operating at an elite level and his skating and puck-moving ability will be much-needed on the international ice surface. Bouwmeester should be thanked for his exemplary service to his country and put out to pasture after the WCOH. Babcock is unwilling to utilize Muzzin, and instead prefers Pietrangelo on his wrong-side. Maybe a little bit of buyer's remorse on Muzzin, which tends to happen when you overthink things and overlook superior players.

So assuming Keith and Vlasic are locks, there's 1, probably 2 LHS spots open for 2018, with the following players in contention - in my perceived order: 1) Brodie; 2) Rielly; 3) Murray. Brodie can strengthen his position, IMO, by getting his a** over to Europe this spring should Calgary miss the playoffs. It's also possible that Rielly surpasses him in on-ice performance over the course of the next season. Murray doesn't have the same offensive upside as Rielly, but is a steady presence and would be more of a substitute for Vlasic or Pietrangelo than, say, Keith.

I agree that there will be at least 3 LHD in 2018 (NHL participation assumed). Vlasic is a lock. Keith is probably close to a lock as well. I actually didn't like his play that much in 2014, but no doubt the Canadian staff will take him. I agree that Bouwmeester will be gone. Muzzin seems like a Babcock style pick, and if he isn't even playing in this tournament on NHL ice then that doesn't bode well. He was good at the 2015 WC, but he was the third/fourth defenceman on that team with Burns and Hamhuis playing by far the biggest roles.

I agree with your ranking of the candidates. I really do think that Brodie would have been selected for this team if he had gone over to the WC this year, at the very least in place of Bouwmeester. He would have been the uncontested #1 defenceman on the team with a group of very dependable forwards in front of him. Unfortunately his only international experience was third pairing duty at the 2013 WC. If the desire is dependable puck movement from the back end, ie a Keith type, he is the pick. Rielly and Murray are a wash for me, but the prospect of Babcock returning favours Rielly I would imagine. Rielly is the more dynamic player, but Murray is more dependable. I could see Murray having a Bouwmeester-esque run with Canada for years.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Joey Juneau, Pat Falloon and Hnat Domenichelli will be leading the forward line with Manny Legace in goal. Pretty much the Spengler Cup team with a few CIS/NCAA players sprinkled in.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Joey Juneau, Pat Falloon and Hnat Domenichelli will be leading the forward line with Manny Legace in goal. Pretty much the Spengler Cup team with a few CIS/NCAA players sprinkled in.

Well that's good, because I think I still have all of their hockey cards.

I'm 37 years old.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we follow his arc I'm not even sure Stamkos has a role on Team Canada for 2018.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I think it's safe to say that Hall will never play for team canada. Lol

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I think it's safe to say that Hall will never play for team canada. Lol

Yeah, if he couldnt make it in 2014, its hard to see it ever happening.

That being said, a head coach change could make a difference.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Agreed. Scheifele, McDavid, and MacKinnon should be locks for 2018 I think.

On D, Ekblad for sure. Parayko and Rielly could be fighting for spots.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Curious about Bergeron. No question he is a good player and a great fit with Crosby, but I just have a feeling he may not be on the next team. I feel the same way about Perry and even Getzlaf. There may be younger players who do what they do only better by 2018.

They're possibilities to drop out, for sure. I think Bergeron will age really well, though. Getzlaf, Perry, and Weber, on the other hand, may be "obsolete" in two years.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
If we follow his arc I'm not even sure Stamkos has a role on Team Canada for 2018.

If it were up to me I wouldn't have even named him to the initial World Cup team. He would have probably made his way onto my roster as an injury replacement for Seguin.

Yeah, if he couldnt make it in 2014, its hard to see it ever happening.

That being said, a head coach change could make a difference.

Hall had a better opportunity this year, as three forwards went down to injury. That's 16 total forward roster openings. You're correct, he'll likely need a coaching change to get consideration for the 2018 team.

Agreed. Scheifele, McDavid, and MacKinnon should be locks for 2018 I think.

On D, Ekblad for sure. Parayko and Rielly could be fighting for spots.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Schiefele or MacKinnon locks. McDavid yes, obviously, but if Babcock returns as head coach there's only one year and three months for those guys to surpass Bergeron, Stamkos, Perry, Carter, Duchene, and Giroux at RW. Not to mention Stone. They (MacKinnon, Schiefele) each have a better shot - maybe a really good shot - at making the 2018 team under a different management/coaching regime.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Tavares - McDavid - MacKinnon
Benn - Toews - Seguin
Couture - ROR - Giroux
Duchene

Vlasic - Doughty
Keith - Subban
Brodie - Ekblad
Letang

Price
Holtby
Crawford

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I wouldn't go so far as to call Schiefele or MacKinnon locks. McDavid yes, obviously, but if Babcock returns as head coach there's only one year and three months for those guys to surpass Bergeron, Stamkos, Perry, Carter, Duchene, and Giroux at RW. Not to mention Stone. They each have a better shot - maybe a really good shot - at making the 2018 team under a different management/coaching regime.

Good point with Stone too. I think MacKinnon definitely will be in with McDavid, I'd love to see Scheifele there too, but as you said maybe Hockey Canada wants to stick with the vets.

One things for sure, we've got a powerhouse team for many, many years to come.

High five Tom

Nov 11, 2012
The 2018 team will look almost identical to what it is at the WC. id say 80% the same. You can probably add McDavid for Thornton. Mckinnon might have a shot. But not sure who you would remove.

I say the 2022 team or the next WC team will look drastically different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad