Olympics: Canada's lineup in 2018

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
this is a joke about bergeron , right? the team in question is 2 years away not like he will be a shadow of himself

2 years? If the NHL is going to S. Korea, the roster announcement is about 1 year and 3 months away, early to mid-December 2017.

We can already pencil in a number 1 line of Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Curious about Bergeron. No question he is a good player and a great fit with Crosby, but I just have a feeling he may not be on the next team. I feel the same way about Perry and even Getzlaf. There may be younger players who do what they do only better by 2018.
Agree, all 3 of those guys are not on the 2018 team.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
The larger question is who's going to be on the coaching staff - whether Babcock returns, or turns the keys over to, say, McLellan. If it's Babcock, I could see largely the same team return from this World Cup with the exception of a few aging or unutilized guys (Perry, Bouwmeester, Giroux, Muzzin, probably Carter and perhaps Stamkos). Under McLellan we could very well see significant changes (the guys above, plus Getzlaf, Couture, perhaps O'Reilly....and less emphasis on the RHS/LHS balance on defence.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The larger question is who's going to be on the coaching staff - whether Babcock returns, or turns the keys over to, say, McLellan. If it's Babcock, I could see largely the same team return from this World Cup with the exception of a few aging or unutilized guys (Perry, Bouwmeester, Giroux, Muzzin, probably Carter and perhaps Stamkos). Under McLellan we could very well see significant changes (the guys above, plus Getzlaf, Couture, perhaps O'Reilly....and less emphasis on the RHS/LHS balance on defence.

My vote goes to McLellan and a 2015 Prague like approach than the 2014 Babcock Sochi approach.

Can't really comment on what's currently going on as I haven't watched any of it, but I am aware of who's playing well and who isn't. Can't escape it, unless I go off grid somewhere in the wilds of Alaska.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I don't think it's that bold to mention Rielly as a possibility. I wouldn't consider him a lock, but if I can see him included if he plays well enough. Another thing is how Team Canada assembles their d-corps. He would be a fit.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
If Bergeron doesn't get selected next tourny, then Toews/Getzlaf 100% won't be chosen for some mysterious reason either.

( Barring injury ) Bergeron is too versatile and too highly thought of not to make it. He can slot in anywhere , lines 1-4 , is a good faceoff guy, is equally comfortable playing center or wing...yadda, yadda

Be nice if they gave Hall his shot to play on Crosby's left side...Marchand can move down the lineup , no worries

As for Getzlaf? He's showing, yet again, he belongs...Perry won't be back ( barring another rash of injuries )

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

McLellan should definitely be involved. Not sure he can be made head coach at this point, but his system worked incredibly well on the large ice. I'm going to abstain from making a roster until I get sufficient reviews of the players in the current unpleasantness, but for the large ice surface Canada should trade a bit of speed for size. At the moment I can envision two pretty distinct ways that the team can be built. One model for speed, one for two way ability.

The biggest issue with Babcock returning is that he stays loyal to some familiar players even when their play is sliding. Babcock is a great coach, but if he returns then Canada is going to need a strong GM.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Guys not nearly enough Josh Ho-Sang in this thread. Do you want TC to be boring or do you want it to be ELECTRIC. Get McDavid out of there. Boring. Sad.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'd not mind seeing what a Benn-Crosby-Seguin line could do, but the Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron line is pretty sick itself.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Benn - Crosby - Seguin
Tavares - McDavid - Stamkos
Duchene - Toews - Bergeron
Hall - Monahan - MacKinnon

Muzzin - Doughty
Vlasic - Ekblad
Brodie - Subban

Price
Jones
Holtby

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Not a chance. Who's spot does he take?

Possibly Couturier. If Scheifele continues to develop along his current projections, he will shape up into an excellent two way player, with a great shot.

Was one of the best defensive players for NA, and he has a higher offensive upside than Couturier.

High five Tom

Nov 11, 2012
Possibly Couturier. If Scheifele continues to develop along his current projections, he will shape up into an excellent two way player, with a great shot.

Was one of the best defensive players for NA, and he has a higher offensive upside than Couturier.

Neither will make Canada 2018. Only Mcdavid out of the kids will make the team. This team will be announced a little over a year from now. Not much will change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad