Canada wants to host WJC every 3 years. Good/bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Boucicaut said:
Ok. Lets have the WJC every three years in Canada. On a span of 20 years, that means Canada gets it seven times (years 1,4,7,10,13,16,19). Add two years for the USA, and you have pretty darn close to half the tournaments in North America. That doesn't leave too many chances for the rest of the countries now does it?

Hell, why not every two years, like Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson would like it! Lets profit some more.

This is all good and fine, as long as people don't complain about blowouts against unworthy opponents or hockey remaining a minority sport, because those things are quite possibly not going to change in this scenario, at least not for the better.

It's not like they've changed over the first 30 years of the tournament...

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
dawgbone said:
It's not like they've changed over the first 30 years of the tournament...

I think countries like Germany and Switzerland have developed, despite this year's results. Also Finland has, and substantially so.

koivu_11

Mar 17, 2004
Chilliwack, BC
Boucicaut said:
Ok. Lets have the WJC every three years in Canada. On a span of 20 years, that means Canada gets it seven times (years 1,4,7,10,13,16,19). Add two years for the USA, and you have pretty darn close to half the tournaments in North America. That doesn't leave too many chances for the rest of the countries now does it?

Hell, why not every two years, like Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson would like it! Lets profit some more.

This is all good and fine, as long as people don't complain about blowouts against unworthy opponents or hockey remaining a minority sport, because those things are quite possibly not going to change in this scenario, at least not for the better.

Having the tournament in non-canadian cities 14 out of the next 20 years is not that bad. And the 6 tournaments in Canada in the next 20 years will probably get almost as many fans and media coverage then the other 14 combined...

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
koivu_11 said:
Having the tournament in non-canadian cities 14 out of the next 20 years is not that bad. And the 6 tournaments in Canada in the next 20 years will probably get almost as many fans and media coverage then the other 14 combined...

Still isn't fair. Sure Canada will get more attendances but so what. You don't see any other major sport have its annual champsionships or whatever it is in the same place every third time. Canada is just screwing the rest of us over.

koivu_11

Mar 17, 2004
Chilliwack, BC
J17ster said:
Still isn't fair. Sure Canada will get more attendances but so what. You don't see any other major sport have its annual champsionships or whatever it is in the same place every third time. Canada is just screwing the rest of us over.

:shakehead

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Boucicaut said:
I think countries like Germany and Switzerland have developed, despite this year's results. Also Finland has, and substantially so.

Finland is a top 6 hockey country... and they have been for as long as I can remember.

Switzerland has definitely improved, but they've held the WJC once in the history of the tournament... did that one year help them improve?

The only way these countries improve is if the game at the grassroots level gets better.... in other words, more participants, better coaching, better facilites/equipment, etc... that doesn't happen because the tournament comes into your country... especially when it is generally ignored.

Which the WJC is in Europe.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
J17ster said:

Sorry... but Europe is a pretty accessible place.

The Distance between Helsinki and Stockholm is 400 km

The Distance between Moscow and Berlin is 1619 km

The Distance between Bern to Prague is 626 km

If you truely want to see games, they are just as accessible for people in Europe. If there is going to be some red tape, plan for it.

the distance between Halifax and Vancouver is 4439 KM

It's not screwing you over at all... be realistic. It's next to impossible to arrange flights, hotels and get tickets to games you want to go to if you live in Toronto and want to see a WJC game. They sellout too quickly here.

I think you are just trying to screw me from seeing a game, by not allowing me the same access to games as they get in Europe...

Now doesn't that sound stupid?

mackdogs*

jekoh said:
NHL arenas may be full but they're not exactly noisy and crazy. Silent and quiet would be a more accurate description.
And here's the part of my quote you left out 'well moreso in the playoffs when the buildings go bananas.' Please copy me in entirety if you're going to quote me, don't just pull pieces of my post that make your point. That's incredibly childish and trollish.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
dawgbone said:
Finland is a top 6 hockey country... and they have been for as long as I can remember.

Switzerland has definitely improved, but they've held the WJC once in the history of the tournament... did that one year help them improve?

The only way these countries improve is if the game at the grassroots level gets better.... in other words, more participants, better coaching, better facilites/equipment, etc... that doesn't happen because the tournament comes into your country... especially when it is generally ignored.

Which the WJC is in Europe.

Finland has been a top six/seven country for the last 20 years or so. Before that we got regularly beaten up by almost everybody. The weak period lasted for several decades. Losing to West and East Germany was not uncommon, although it was not the rule.

I do not have personal experience of what happened with the Swiss program, but I could imagine that having that one tourney certainly did not make things worse. Any Swiss fans care to comment?

I agree about the grassroot level being important. Certainly things need to happen there. However, it is a great possibility for coaches, young players and wannabe players to get the chance to see and experience the games first hand and relatively easily, without having to plan the whole family vacation around the tournament.

BTW: To say that the WJC is ignored in Europe is a bit of an overstatement, wouldn't you agree?

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
dawgbone said:
It's not screwing you over at all... be realistic. It's next to impossible to arrange flights, hotels and get tickets to games you want to go to if you live in Toronto and want to see a WJC game. They sellout too quickly here.

I think you are just trying to screw me from seeing a game, by not allowing me the same access to games as they get in Europe...

Now doesn't that sound stupid?
The idea that a country should host more often because it's large does indeed sound stupid.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
jekoh said:
The idea that a country should host more often because it's large does indeed sound stupid.

Not when they will attract sellout audiences, and be a rousing success. The idea that countries should host it because a couple of people are whining sounds equally stupid when you factor in most of their country-mates don't feel the same way.

It sucks watching some of the WJC games in Europe where Canada is playing in front of 400 people and there is no atmosphere... you won't see that in Canada... no matter which teams are playing.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Boucicaut said:
Russia is larger than Canada :)

Yeah, and if the tournament as a whole was any kind of a success there, I'd have no problem hearing the argument that Russia should be able to host the tournament more often.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Some quick questions,

Does anyone have any evidence as to how the tournament finances are held. When you see a tournament with poor attendance, who eats the losses? When it makes money, who gets it?

Also, during the last few years, how many bids are there for the tournament. I mean serious bids, where final presentations were made to the IIHF, not countries that are initially interested, but end up withdrawing before the final bids.

In years when the tournament is held in places where it doesn't draw that well, has there been concerns about the quality of player conditions? For example, has there been concerns about not getting adequate facilities for players, such as good enough hotel accomodations, too much travel time, not enough practice ice available, poor broadcast facilities, etc.?

If countries are really losing money on this tournament, why do they continue to submit bids?

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
discostu said:
Some quick questions,

Does anyone have any evidence as to how the tournament finances are held. When you see a tournament with poor attendance, who eats the losses? When it makes money, who gets it?

The IIHF has recently (not sure how long) been asking for guaranteed money... how much, I am not sure. when there were a bunch of Canadian cities going for the 06 WJC, every city was selling ticket packages and taking deposits, in order to show that they could cover it.

I do know this... the IIHF grabbed $800k from the one this year in UND, and the organziers were coming away with some money, but it wasn't in the the hundreds of thousands. Sorry, this was all on the radio, no link.

Also, during the last few years, how many bids are there for the tournament. I mean serious bids, where final presentations were made to the IIHF, not countries that are initially interested, but end up withdrawing before the final bids.

Not 100% sure... but I brought this up. It could simply be that there hasn't been a lot of interest from other countries, and Bob Nicholson sees this, and would like to bring it back to Canada as often as possible because of this. If no one else wants, Canada would be stupid not to try and take it as often as possible.

In years when the tournament is held in places where it doesn't draw that well, has there been concerns about the quality of player conditions? For example, has there been concerns about not getting adequate facilities for players, such as good enough hotel accomodations, too much travel time, not enough practice ice available, poor broadcast facilities, etc.?

I've never heard any complaints like that... not in recent years anyways, and not from a Canadian angle. But I have no idea.

If countries are really losing money on this tournament, why do they continue to submit bids?

That goes back to your 2nd question... how many countries are actually bidding? And I don't know if they are losing money... I'd assume the IIHF would be looking for a bigger cut in Canada than they would in Switzerland... that's just an assumption by me though.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Carl O'Steen said:
Why... so that 200 people come out to watch the teams not including Canada and the host country?

I doubt having the WJC in Finland, US, Slovakia, Russia, etc... has a major impact compared to having it in Canada.

altohugh it might have been the World Championships not the WJC I believe Finland and Slovakia are first and second in attendance records...

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
wilka91 said:
The World Cup ... lol ... very funny. What does the word "World" stand for?

And the Olympics? Yeah sure, you did win it ... did any other team ever get to face Belarus in a semifinal game?

You are a bitter, bitter child.

Maybe you should talk to Tommy Salo if you don't like who Canada faced in the olympics..

Oh yeh, don't think I forgot your little, "Let's talk after Canada faces a "quality" opponent post. Well, you are right.. I guess we still have to wait now don't we?

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
Does anyone here have any real links, statistics regarding attendance or profit for past tournaments? I'm sure the people in charge do. Bottom line is most media exposure and profit.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Finn said:
altohugh it might have been the World Championships not the WJC I believe Finland and Slovakia are first and second in attendance records...

It's definitely not the WJC... Halifax and Winnipeg are 1-2... by a country mile.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
em1ss said:
Does anyone here have any real links, statistics regarding attendance or profit for past tournaments? I'm sure the people in charge do. Bottom line is most media exposure and profit.

They usually flash the attendance figures from previous tournaments throughout the tournament on the telecasts... plus the iihf website keeps track of attendance during the tourney (no archives though, unfortunately).

As for profits... I doubt you'll find anything on that... never know though

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
wilka91 said:
Who cares about that World Championship anyway?

Lot's of people... don't be ignorant.

A heck of a lot more people in Europe care about the World championships than they do about the WJC...

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
*Scott* said:
The World Championships are a pretty big deal. I think they should try holding them in Canada one year. Maybe Halifax, it's not like theres NHL hockey out that way to compete with.
They will be in Halifax and Québec in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad