Canada wants to host WJC every 3 years. Good/bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
dawgbone said:
Lot's of people... don't be ignorant.

A heck of a lot more people in Europe care about the World championships than they do about the WJC...

I think he's being sarcastic...

As for the game times in Finland,they'd never play them at 2 pm. That's way too early, IIRC last year the game's began at 4 pm latest.

And the reason why we didn't get more of Team Finland's games was because they weren't televised (one camera for highlights doesn't count as televising an event). They (TSN) would have televised more but according to the Finnish National Broadcasting Company YLE, the asking price was ridiculously high.

Molson Canadian

Mar 12, 2004
Edmonton, AB
I think every country should get an equal chance for it. They might not sell out as many games or make as much money in other countries but it's a good way to promote hockey in other places even if it doesn't make as much.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
dawgbone said:
Lot's of people... don't be ignorant.

A heck of a lot more people in Europe care about the World championships than they do about the WJC...

I know but ... you know what I meant.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Molson Canadian said:
I think every country should get an equal chance for it. They might not sell out as many games or make as much money in other countries but it's a good way to promote hockey in other places even if it doesn't make as much.

100% agree.

The goal of a World Junior championship is not to be profitable, but to give the young players a chance to play in a big tournament of their own. It's not like the Canada/World Cup, which is 99% about the money.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
wilka91 said:
100% agree.

The goal of a World Junior championship is not to be profitable, but to give the young players a chance to play in a big tournament of their own. It's not like the Canada/World Cup, which is 99% about the money.
But how does where the tournament is make a difference with the players? It just matters to the people watching it, which isn't much outside of Canada.

People are talking about promoting hockey in other countries like it needs promoting. Junior hockey does not need promotion in Sweden, Finland, Russia, Slovakia, or the Czech Republic. Hockey's fine in those places. So how will having it once every 7 or 8 years be more beneficial than having it every 6 years?

candon

Jan 5, 2005
19bruins19 said:
Hey, hockey is hockey up here in Canada. There will be plenty of people watching it.

The 2006 Game Packages in the Interior of BC (Kelowna etc) are already 50% sold out according to WJC 2006 organizers

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
God, people, the fact that there is a higher attendance in Canada as opposed to everywhere else doesn't mean that people don't want to see it. What's an avarage stadium capacity in canada? 17000-20000 (at least for NHL teams, don't know for IIHF games)? Well in Russia its between 3000-6000. So, because we cannot afford to build grand stadiums, we shouldn't see WCJ live?

Even if we assume that not all tickets were sold out in Russia, Finland, etc, it doesn't mean that you should disadvange those who want to see it. NHL teams still play in Atlanta, right?

Someone gave an example that Canada is a big country and the championship can take place in many cities which are remote from each other. Well, Russia is even bigger, and cities are even further apart. BTW, the best stadiums in Russia are in remote cities like Omsk, Magnitagorsk, etc. Those cities have amazing supporters, and they never get to host any international events. Hence, a problem, if there was any, of attendance is solved. Just hold a WCJ in one of those cities. They'll love you for that! All welcome to Siberia!

And fine, I admit that Canadian population (35m) is bigger that Moscow's (20m). Still, you think we cannot find 5000 in Moscow who is interested in WCJ?

Anyways, currently living in New Zealand, I won't see much hockey action any time soon. :shakehead

BCCHL inactive

Vladiator said:
God, people, the fact that there is a higher attendance in Canada as opposed to everywhere else doesn't mean that people don't want to see it. What's an avarage stadium capacity in canada? 17000-20000 (at least for NHL teams, don't know for IIHF games)? Well in Russia its between 3000-6000. So, because we cannot afford to build grand stadiums, we shouldn't see WCJ live?

Even if we assume that not all tickets were sold out in Russia, Finland, etc, it doesn't mean that you should disadvange those who want to see it. NHL teams still play in Atlanta, right?

Someone gave an example that Canada is a big country and the championship can take place in many cities which are remote from each other. Well, Russia is even bigger, and cities are even further apart. BTW, the best stadiums in Russia are in remote cities like Omsk, Magnitagorsk, etc. Those cities have amazing supporters, and they never get to host any international events. Hence, a problem, if there was any, of attendance is solved. Just hold a WCJ in one of those cities. They'll love you for that! All welcome to Siberia!

And fine, I admit that Canadian population (35m) is bigger that Moscow's (20m). Still, you think we cannot find 5000 in Moscow who is interested in WCJ?

Anyways, currently living in New Zealand, I won't see much hockey action any time soon. :shakehead

Are you trying to suggest that an exhibition game between Switzerland and Finland would attract 6,000 Russian fans?

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Vladiator said:
Are we talking about exhibition games here? If you insist, Canada can host every exhibition game to be played...
What he means is if Switzerland is playing Germany in Omsk during the round robin you will be able to introduce yourself to the entire crowd between the first and second period. All games are supported well in Canada not just the home teams games.

BCCHL inactive

Vladiator said:
Are we talking about exhibition games here? If you insist, Canada can host every exhibition game to be played...

I'm talking about the U20 exhibition game played just before Christmas in Winnipeg between Switzerland and Finland, that drew 6,000 Canadian fans (from what I hear).

If that game, that is not even part of tournament, is somewhere in Russia, will it attract 6,000 fans? Something tells me that it wouldn't.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Van said:
I'm talking about the U20 exhibition game played just before Christmas in Winnipeg between Switzerland and Finland, that drew 6,000 Canadian fans (from what I hear).

If that game, that is not even part of tournament, is somewhere in Russia, will it attract 6,000 fans? Something tells me that it wouldn't.

Firstly, how can you be sure it wouldn't attract a full stadium? It's well known that no one loves hockey like Canadians do. However, you are forgeting that hockey is sport No 2 in Russia after soccer (although for many it's a favourite, and definitely No 1 in winter), and we have a great history of international victories to prove it. People love hockey.

Secondly, even if matches with Russia do attract more spectators -- what's wrong with it? Is it a reason to hold every 3rd WCJ in Canada?

Anyway, I thing this discussion is going a wrong way. Yes, playing in Canada IIHF will be able to attract more people to stadiums (partly coz of the sizes of thereof), and collect more revenue. However, I don't think that this by itself is a good justification to hold every 3rd championship in Canada. There are another 5 proven hockey nations in this world and it's not fair to distinguish Canada from them.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Van

Sorry, I didn't quite answer to your question in my previous message. I was kinda affected by what SwisshockeyAcademy said about Switzerland v Finland being a round robin game.

No, I am sure that match wouldn't attract full stadiums, as no one would care about an exhibition match between those countries.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
It was mentioned in an earlier post regarding the poor attendance at the 1996-97 WJC tournament held in Switzerland. This article helps to explain the reasons why.
It is from Canadian Press, dated January 5, 1997, titled:

Swiss tournament filled with holes

GENEVA -- The sea of empty seats at Vernets Arena for games at the World Juniors suggests immediately this isn't Winnipeg, Hamilton, Red Deer or Trois-Rivieres. And that's precisely the message tournament director Otto-Max Fischer delivered as the tournament ended, having drawn only 30,000 spectators to 31 games in Geneva and Morges, Switzerland.

Fischer said: "When the IIHF gave us the tournament, they knew a World Juniors in Switzerland is not comparable to a world juniors in Canada. The world juniors are respected in Canada like nowhere else in the world. People here in Europe read of the word junior and it makes them think of kids, small boys, which it isn't."

Fischer said the Swiss Ice Hockey Federation knew when it awarded the tournament to Geneva and Morges that crowds would be small and that local interest would be minimal. He said the tournament in Switzerland will lose between
$200,000 and $300,000 on a budget of about $1 million. Fischer said, "From a sporting standpoint, it's been excellent."

As for the meagre crowds seen by television audiences daily in Canada, he said: "We knew it would be like that before, so we're not disappointed. It was a chance to develop hockey in the region and strengthen the culture of hockey here in Switzerland."

But politics played a role in the tournament being held in Geneva. Switzerland will play host to the 1998 Senior World Championship in Zurich and Basel in the majority German-speaking part of the country, where hockey is more popular. However, to keep the peace, the federation gave the junior event to the French-speaking region known as Romandy, where hockey is less popular. The federation did this to make sure both sides got an event.

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
World Juniors in canada every 3 or 4 years sounds great to me!! We never get any World Championships so why not? Canada would draw the best attendance of all the countrys without a doubt.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
SectionX said:
just give every gold medal to canada and they will shut up.

Yeah, two sets of gold medals. One for Canada every year and the other one for the WJC tournament among the Europeans and USA.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
I haven't read through the whole thread, so someone may have mentioned this:

But I think a big reason is just the money the cities will make. Hockey Canada knows that the WJC will turn a profit no matter where it is played in Canada, and so it becomes a huge boost to Canadian host cities. They also know that the buzz about the championship will most likely sell more jerseys and get more kids to join hockey leagues. I don't think they want to give Team Canada a better chance to win, it'll bring more money in to the organization.

Personally, I think every 4 years is better then 3. Its important to have the tournament overseas, even if there's not many fans that come out. If you never go to a certain city, the fans there might simply forget about the tournament, and not care the next time it came around.

Roger's Pancreas*

That's a great idea to keep United States fans interested in hockey. It will only benefit Canada in the long run.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
7540 - attendance @ Canada - Slovakia
10739 - attendance @ Canada - Sweden
7540 - attendance @ Canada - Germany
9697 - attendance @ Canada - Finland
10266 - attendance @ Canada - Czech Semi-Final
11862 - attendance @ Canada - Russia Final

9274 - attendance @ US - Russia
8133 - attendance @ US - Switzerland
8734 - attendance @ US - Czech
8258 - attendance @ US - Sweden

*couldn't find attendance for US - Belarus game - lets assume 8200

I'm an american and disappointed that the US couldn't draw more than Team Canada all tournament and it was on US soil and was the defending champs well done Podunk North Dakota, well done :shakehead :banghead:

SChan*

Joe_Strummer said:
7540 - attendance @ Canada - Slovakia
10739 - attendance @ Canada - Sweden
7540 - attendance @ Canada - Germany
9697 - attendance @ Canada - Finland
10266 - attendance @ Canada - Czech Semi-Final
11862 - attendance @ Canada - Russia Final

9274 - attendance @ US - Russia
8133 - attendance @ US - Switzerland
8734 - attendance @ US - Czech
8258 - attendance @ US - Sweden

*couldn't find attendance for US - Belarus game - lets assume 8200

I'm an american and disappointed that the US couldn't draw more than Team Canada all tournament and it was on US soil and was the defending champs well done Podunk North Dakota, well done :shakehead :banghead:

the canadians really want to show up when they play sweden for some reason.

Reilly311

Joe_Strummer said:

None of the games are worth going to unless it's the gold medal game. I'm not shelling out $50 to watch US vs. Sweden. If it were Russia/Canada vs. US in the gold medal game, yeah, I'd probably go. Besides, I could just watch it on ESPN2 for free.

leafaholix*

Reilly311 said:
None of the games are worth going to unless it's the gold medal game. I'm not shelling out $50 to watch US vs. Sweden. If it were Russia/Canada vs. US in the gold medal game, yeah, I'd probably go. Besides, I could just watch it on ESPN2 for free.
There are 9 or 10,000 Canadians that don't think along those lines.

That's why the WJC should be in Canada every 3 years.

Reilly311

Carl O'Steen said:
There are 9 or 10,000 Canadians that don't think along those lines.

wow really? You mean the US doesn't care about hockey? This is news to me. :dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad