GDT: Canada vs USA

LBloor

Jul 21, 2021
Former amateur ref here.

The rule is pretty clear, there is literally no room in the IIHF rule book for "Hockey Plays". The IIHF has went out of there way to ensure the on ice officials call the game and have the last word.

The rule is clear, you cannot bump the goalie, period, once contact is made the ref should blow the whistle. Blake cannot enter the crease and then "establish position" like he's a center in basketball guarding the rim. He could enter, but cannot on his own make contact, nor can he camp out there and not allow the goalie the ability to move within the blue paint.

The ref didn't call it initially and Canada knowing the rule challenged. Once the ref seen contact on the video the play is over. The only continuation allowed is if there is a penalty after contact. We seen this with an offsides and Canada committing a penalty. The play was called offsides, however because Canada committed a penalty, it still goes in the book, even though the clock get's set back.

The instant the puck stopped moving forward on it's own and was covered by the goalie, play over. Again another astute call by Canada, once the puck disappears under the pad it's play over and that is what the ref seen and once he reviewed the video, he made the correct call.

It will be interesting to see how todays Gold game is officiated, my guess is that Canada will get a few early powerplays when Czechia tries to copy their style of play from the first game.

It's like this speed trap here in So Cal. A section of freeway is 65, then it transitions to another freeway that's 55, then about a mile later, it transitions back to 65. The CHP sits there and writes tickets all day.

Just because you can do something in Junior, College or the Pro's, doesn't mean you can do it in an IIHF tournament.
Exactly some people need to learn the rule book before commenting on social media.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
But the player was pushed into him
Blake's positioning within the crease impeded the goalie's movement. That alone is goaltender interference.

Blake wasn't pushed into the crease. The Canadian defenceman, Zellweger, attempted to push him out, but instead Blake hip checked the goalie in the head and that again is goalie interference.

The goal was correctly disallowed on either or both grounds: positioning within the crease that impeded the goalie's movement; and, contact with the goalie – and here it doesn't matter whether the contact was incidental or not -- within the crease.

Good call. No goal.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think the main issue is fans are viewing the two no goal calls from an "NHL" POV.

Yeah they do it at the QF for the teams that lose and both teams in the semis afterward. Tournament MVP and All Stars get announced after the Gold Medal game.

Should've saved time and announced MVP yesterday :naughty:

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
They probably should start caring then. It’s a great way to judge how your country is doing developing talent.

This year isnt a good sign for Finland, for example.
It’s not really a sign of anything lol

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
If the ENTIRE country that is the USA put EVERYTHING into Ice Hockey, as does Canada then sure we could be possibly closer or better. However, we do not. Between American Football, Baseball, and Basketball, as well as hockey, I think we do a damn good job overall at hockey considering our split interests. So you can keep all your smugness about the WJCs to yourselves. We LOST the game and thats ok, It wasn't the refs. It was us and I can live with that. The disrespect I cannot.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
If the ENTIRE country that is the USA put EVERYTHING into Ice Hockey, as does Canada then sure we could be possibly closer or better. However, we do not. Between American Football, Baseball, and Basketball, as well as hockey, I think we do a damn good job overall at hockey considering our split interests. So you can keep all your smugness about the WJCs to yourselves. We LOST the game and thats ok, It wasn't the refs. It was us and I can live with that. The disrespect I cannot.

This kind of thinking is actually smug in and of it itself though, "if we tried or cared more we'd be better." Millions of Americans love hockey, you have 10x the population as Canada, more American boys play hockey in terms of sheer numbers than Canadian boys, on that metric alone you should already be better. There is really no need for these kind of comments which only just puts off sore loser vibes and those kind of comments will only get you more disrespect around these parts.

Also its not all hockey, there is split interests in Canada too as basketball has grown exponentially and is very popular as well these days.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad