GDT: Canada Vs USA pre tournament GDT 12noon ET

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
Loved this game, I thought Canada looked really good. By looking at most experts predictions, team USA is by far the favorites, by the look of this game team Canada is up there with them.

What I liked from Canada: Macklin Celebrini what a f***ing stud, he has both elite offensive tools, an elite motor and elite compete level, he's among my favorite prospects of the past 10 years. I also liked the Allard-Beck-Danielson line. Beck and Danielson are super fast and good at controlling the puck in the offensive zone. I didn't know Allard before the tournament and he's a nice complement to the line, good allong the boards and isn't scared to cut to the net. I also liked Savoie and Geekie, Savoie's offensive talent is noticeable, what a shot.

What I didn't like from Canada: The goaltending, particularly Rousseau (St-Hilaire was alright). The defensive game was tough at times also. Noah Warren is particularly bad with the puck. I didn't love Poitras, he wasn't bad, but I was expecting more since he's an NHL player. I really didn't like Yager and Rekhopff, invisible and the rare time we notice them it's not positive.

USA's defensive game was also very tough. On their side, the 4 players that stood out were Leonard, Perreault, Smith and Hutson, no surprise there. Gauthier was very noticeable, but yet again he hasn'T impressed me that much, good at shooting and a big body, but not the most creative player.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
USA is definitely prone to a heavy forecheck. They get rattled and turn over the puck. Canada is prone to massive defensive miscues. Everyone chasing the puck and leaving men wide open.

I think its easier for Canada to clean that up than the US to deal with a heavy forecheck.

That said, goaltending may be the difference. Fowler / Tre are better goaltenders than what Canada has.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Loved this game, I thought Canada looked really good. By looking at most experts predictions, team USA is by far the favorites, by the look of this game team Canada is up there with them.

What I liked from Canada: Macklin Celebrini what a f***ing stud, he has both elite offensive tools, an elite motor and elite compete level, he's among my favorite prospects of the past 10 years. I also liked the Allard-Beck-Danielson line. Beck and Danielson are super fast and good at controlling the puck in the offensive zone. I didn't know Allard before the tournament and he's a nice complement to the line, good allong the boards and isn't scared to cut to the net. I also liked Savoie and Geekie, Savoie's offensive talent is noticeable, what a shot.

What I didn't like from Canada: The goaltending, particularly Rousseau (St-Hilaire was alright). The defensive game was tough at times also. Noah Warren is particularly bad with the puck. I didn't love Poitras, he wasn't bad, but I was expecting more since he's an NHL player. I really didn't like Yager and Rekhopff, invisible and the rare time we notice them it's not positive.

USA's defensive game was also very tough. On their side, the 4 players that stood out were Leonard, Perreault, Smith and Hutson, no surprise there. Gauthier was very noticeable, but yet again he hasn'T impressed me that much, good at shooting and a big body, but not the most creative player.
I will pretty much echo this entire post!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not a big fan of USA-Canada in the exhibitions. Rivalry games when they are tune-ups for a tournament where the teams will probably meet is a damper on the game taking place and then on any game they end up meeting during the tournament.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Not a big fan of USA-Canada in the exhibitions. Rivalry games when they are tune-ups for a tournament where the teams will probably meet is a damper on the game taking place and then on any game they end up meeting during the tournament.
The more opportunities these players have to go against each other the better IMO, lots of high level execution on display for both sides in this one, you don't get that kind of pressured experience against the bottom feeders. Plus, you have to build the rivalries through play time. For how little this game mattered, you had fantastic efforts from the players involved and it looked like time very well spent to me.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
USA is definitely prone to a heavy forecheck. They get rattled and turn over the puck. Canada is prone to massive defensive miscues. Everyone chasing the puck and leaving men wide open.

I think its easier for Canada to clean that up than the US to deal with a heavy forecheck.

That said, goaltending may be the difference. Fowler / Tre are better goaltenders than what Canada has.
I would agree with this. The U.S will struggle if they get hemmed in. It's actually our national hockey identity now. Lol. Move/skate that puck or else!

Reactions: ecemleafs

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Exact opposite for me. Face the best opposition in pre-tournament to learn what needs to be corrected before playing games that count.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The more opportunities these players have to go against each other the better IMO, lots of high level execution on display for both sides in this one, you don't get that kind of pressured experience against the bottom feeders. Plus, you have to build the rivalries through play time. For how little this game mattered, you had fantastic efforts from the players involved and it looked like time very well spent to me.
I would've rather played Finland or Czechia or someone like that. Plenty competitive tune-up game.

I would've also been good with tuning up against Russia, even if they aren't going to participate in the regular tournament.

International hockey has so few good teams with how it's currently situated. It kind of takes some of the excitement out of all of it (exhibition and real games) when you are playing the most important teams in what amounts to a meaningless game.

Exact opposite for me. Face the best opposition in pre-tournament to learn what needs to be corrected before playing games that count.
I'm talking about excitement, not about what best helps a team.

But I didn't like the NHL COVID calendar either. I think playing a rivalry game too many times dampens all the games, meaningless and important.

It is what it is though.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
100% agree. This game is probably the best practice both teams could have had going into the tournament. Both teams know their weakneses and have confidence that they will be competitive. They had an opportunity to play under duress.

Both USA and Canada will be better for it.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What the hell does it matter? If Canada faces US in the tourney the game will likley be nothing like today's.
Its about understanding the key areas the teams need to work on. You won't understand those unless you play in a highly contested game like this.

If Canada was smart, they wouldn't have pressured USA on the forecheck and exposed that weakness and saved it for the tournamnent. ;)

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
100% agree. This game is probably the best practice both teams could have had going into the tournament. Both teams know their weakneses and have confidence that they will be competitive. They had an opportunity to play under duress.

Both USA and Canada will be better for it.
If nothing else, the USA players and coaches should have learned to ignore the "heavy favorite" hype. And that's a good thing.

Canada should be confident they can compete with anyone in this tourney, despite all their missing eligible players.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If nothing else, the USA players and coaches should have learned to ignore the "heavy favorite" hype. And that's a good thing.

Canada should be confident they can compete with anyone in this tourney, despite all their missing eligible players.
Canada's downfall will be goaltending. I am not convinced any of our goaltenders will step up and make the big saves when it counts.

USA is still a heavy favorite.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Only saw the highlights on the last goal.

Not the best on Beck, but not the worst. Players don't normally check a player like that with his stick completely flat.

The dman played that 2 on 1 poorly, too.

Just not a lot of good on that play for Canada

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Only saw the highlights on the last goal.

Not the best on Beck, but not the worst. Players don't normally check a player like that with his stick completely flat.

The dman played that 2 on 1 poorly, too.

Just not a lot of good on that play for Canada
I just have to tip my hat to Hutson, not only for the lovely finish into the roof, but for the defensive creativity. How many defensemen would drop their stick flat onto the ice to defend 1-on-1 at the offensive blue line in OT? He got a bit lucky to come away with the puck, but a big wow on that play for me.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I just have to tip my hat to Hutson, not only for the lovely finish into the roof, but for the defensive creativity. How many defensemen would drop their stick flat onto the ice to defend 1-on-1 at the offensive blue line in OT? He got a bit lucky to come away with the puck, but a big wow on that play for me.
As a habs fan he is a pretty exciting up and coming player to potentially add to a talent starving team like us, high hopes for him.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Canadians love to pretend they’re the underdog. That way if they lose, it was expected, but if they win, it was a gutsy performance.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
poor play by Beck on the OT goal but great play by Lane

i think the Habs finally have a prospect with elite potentiel in Hutson

this USA team looks very good on paper could win it all

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
As a habs fan he is a pretty exciting up and coming player to potentially add to a talent starving team like us, high hopes for him.
My wild guess ... he'll be Quinn Hughes light, running PP1 creatively, and on the 2nd pairing with a good skating defender to handle the 2-on-1 rushes against that his play will inevitably generate.

You guys would be more than happy with that from a late 2nd-rounder I'll wager. He'll be a huge fan favorite at Centre Bell.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Never mind dman, just any player really in that situation.

Most people would reach, get burned and go, or make the pass up.

Then you watch the Canadian dman almost completely f*** up the 2 on 1.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Canadians love to pretend they’re the underdog. That way if they lose, it was expected, but if they win, it was a gutsy performance.
I really dislike the "heavy favorite" hype the USA team is getting. Hopefully today's game dispelled any notion of that.

Canada should *always* be considered no less than co-favorite in this tournament, even when missing Bedard, Fantilli, Benson, etc. A Canadian "B team" would probably medal most years.

Reactions: deleted user

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad