GDT: Canada v Germany (Gold Medal Game)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Experience? Even if people like to claim it's a no-name roster (every year), they had multiple Stanley Cup winners and also of this particular tournament and other international trophies. Plus that 6000 games of NHL experience. It's not the biggest NHL stars, but the pool of players allows for a well-constructed team year after year. Many competitors have to take their usual suspects regardless of circumstances. Though Germany curiously did well in part because from their very small pool they did some bold choices.
I think more like expectation. Every Canadian player goes into any international tournament with one goal, and anything else is coming up short.

I mean, I could see it in the German's eyes after the game that were carrying huge disappointment. But their medal will be remembered and cherished. I know a guy who won a WJC silver medal, and he's almost ashamed of it. Is that terrible? Yes, it is. But it's the result of high expectations.

This issue has been settled. CAN had 6 skaters on the ice regardless of your opinion.
Just so you know, there was a time when Germany had six skaters on the ice for about five seconds, and no one noticed it, not even the announcers. I will re-watch the game and try to take a screenshot. Stupid TSN wouldn't let me go back 30 seconds when it happened, because I wanted to see it again right away.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Canada winning is cool I guess, but honestly all 3 playoff matches were free wins for Canada, so they got pretty fortunate with the brackets.
I don’t understand what this means. You can only beat what gets put before you, and they did that. They beat the team which eliminated an impressive US team 5-2, what more do you want? Usually the team that takes the gold does so because it deserves it. No different this time.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Canada cheats their way to gold, as usual. First they cheat against Latvia in the semis (with the help of the refs). Now they score 4-2 with six men on the ice.

Tiring...
Damn you caught us. When we sneak extra players on the ice, we tell them to be far more low key. I guess we'll bring that up with the coaches during the "Put a Bunch of Random Guys on the Ice" seminar at the next Superpower of Hockey Cheating Conference that no other country attends.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don’t understand what this means. You can only beat what gets put before you, and they did that. They beat the team which eliminated an impressive US team 5-2, what more do you want? Usually the team that takes the gold does so because it deserves it. No different this time.
What more do I want? Well, I don't really want anything more, just making the observation that they had to beat Germany and Latvia in semis and finals. And Finland in quarters, who were so bad this tournament that both Germany and Latvia likely were stronger opponents.

It's cool to give them credit for a strong I guess, but the difference in material is undeniable and if a team like Sweden loses to Latvia, I can only assume it's because they weren't taking them seriously or another failure by Sweden's, rather than Latvia playing especially well(because that team's materia just does not have the capability to play especially well).

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
What more do I want? Well, I don't really want anything more, just making the observation that they had to beat Germany and Latvia in semis and finals. And Finland in quarters, who were so bad this tournament that both Germany and Latvia likely were stronger opponents.

It's cool to give them credit for a strong I guess, but the difference in material is undeniable and if a team like Sweden loses to Latvia, I can only assume it's because they weren't taking them seriously or another failure by Sweden's, rather than Latvia playing especially well(because that team's materia just does not have the capability to play especially well).
And you think that somehow this Swedish team, which has been pretty disappointing overall, would have beaten Canada? Why?

You’re dealing in hypotheticals, I am dealing with the actual reality of Canada having beaten everyone they needed to beat when it mattered.

Reactions: jj cale

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And Finland in quarters, who were so bad this tournament that both Germany and Latvia likely were stronger opponents.

Even some Finnish fans were saying they were the favourites in the match-up against this incarnation of Canada.

This revisionist history that Canada was a powerhouse is amusing.

Latvia didn't just play well against Sweden, they played Canada very closely and they won against the US.

It's always a mistake to solely judge a team's competitiveness by the names on the roster.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

If the U.S and Sweden were so good and Germany and Latvia were such easy touches why did Sweden lose to Latvia and the U.S lose to both Germany AND Latvia?

This is all sour grapes that your team was taken out By Canada and Canada went on to win the whole thing, nothing else.

And everyone here recognizes it for exactly that.

Last edited:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I'm surprised people didn't learn their lesson from the 2021 Riga team, Canada starting the tournament 0-3 with a very underwhelming roster and finishing 4th in the group, having to rely on results from other games to qualify for the playoffs, tying the group with Kazakhstan.

That team lost games to Lativa (2-0), US (5-1), Germany (3-1), Finland (3-2shootout)

Gets into the playoffs and guys like Andrew Mangiapane, Connor Brown, Adam Henrique just start lighting it up, takes out ROC(2-1), takes out the US (4-2) and Finland (3-2ot)

It's like Canada just trolled everyone that year, people should have realize at that moment that it never mattered who we sent, the talent is still always capable of winning gold.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm surprised people didn't learn their lesson from the 2021 Riga team, Canada starting the tournament 0-3 with a very underwhelming roster and finishing 4th in the group, having to rely on results from other games to qualify for the playoffs, tying the group with Kazakhstan.

That team lost games to Lativa (2-0), US (5-1), Germany (3-1), Finland (3-2shootout)

Gets into the playoffs and guys like Andrew Mangiapane, Connor Brown, Adam Henrique just start lighting it up, takes out ROC(2-1), takes out the US (4-2) and Finland (3-2ot)

It's like Canada just trolled everyone that year, people should have realize at that moment that it never mattered who we sent, the talent is still always capable of winning gold.
Speaking of which...

After we qualified for the GMG in 2021, someone wrote the GREATEST post EVER written at HF - see below...

I am so sick of the horseshoe up Canada's ass.

Always the luckiest sons of bitches out there. They had no right to even be here. They needed like 9 damn things to go right for them to even make the QF and they ALL happened. Ridiculous.

It isn't they wanted it more..the game was even and US dominated for stretches..Canada always gets the breaks, always gets the bounces and I am just so sick and tired of seeing it happen.

f*** you Canada! You do not deserve to be playing for Gold.

I wanted nothing to do with Canada in this position we should have been playing against Germany 100%.

But the hockey Gods continue to reach around for their golden boys.

Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

P.S. And that was written BEFORE the MacTavish miracle at the World Juniors.

Last edited:

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Speaking of which...

After we qualified for the GMG in 2021, someone wrote the GREATEST post EVER written at HF - see below...

Always the luckiest sons of bitches out there. They had no right to even be here. They needed like 9 damn things to go right for them to even make the QF and they ALL happened. Ridiculous.

It isn't they wanted it more..the game was even and US dominated for stretches..Canada always gets the breaks, always gets the bounces and I am just so sick and tired of seeing it happen.

I wanted nothing to do with Canada in this position we should have been playing against Germany 100%.

The post you quote should just be pasted into the dictionary where the term “sour grapes” is defined. But how come you still have a post someone produced in 2021??

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Experience? Even if people like to claim it's a no-name roster (every year), they had multiple Stanley Cup winners and also of this particular tournament and other international trophies. Plus that 6000 games of NHL experience. It's not the biggest NHL stars, but the pool of players allows for a well-constructed team year after year. Many competitors have to take their usual suspects regardless of circumstances. Though Germany curiously did well in part because from their very small pool they did some bold choices.
Canada worked harder and were overall better at the sport of hockey as a team in that game
- The German goalie was good enough to win a gold, but at most the team in front of him could win 1 period
- Good shot blocking from the Germans
- They seemed to stand around waiting for 1 spectacular play like the Tiffels OT winner vs. USA
- The D was often flat footed, looking for stretch passes with Canadian forecheck closing
- Overall legs, heart, and determination wasn't there up & down the lineup (what would be required to win that game). A good excuse could be they gave everything the day before

tsn mentioned something about 12 German players from their team who were members of the german team who had beat TC a few years back.

And yet he talks about our "experience"

The european teams here have about every advantage you could ask for going into this thing over Canada, they aren't hard done by.................I'd prefer if more of the fans from there would just say well played and move on.
Moritz Müller has > 1000 DEL games alone, but apparently having 0 NHL games mean's a young, inexperienced defenseman back there?
Yes, the core of the German National Team are VERY familiar with each other. It's a huge advantage for these short tournaments with single-game elimination playoffs.
"Team Canada" notably had 0 shared players from 2018 Olympics to this tournament.

Reactions: jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The post you quote should just be pasted into the dictionary where the term “sour grapes” is defined. But how come you still have a post someone produced in 2021??
I had to find it - it always stood out in my mind and I thought of it when I saw Peiskos' post.

At first, when I first saw the post, I was offended. Then, over time, I saw it as a compliment.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Speaking of which...

Yeah, consider the source.

Bounces happen, for sure, and they impact games. But if you're a fan of a team that has not gotten into the gold medal game since the playoff format was changed 30 years ago, then that's loser talk.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, consider the source.

Bounces happen, for sure, and they impact games. But if you're a fan of a team that has not gotten into the gold medal game since the playoff format was changed 30 years ago, then that's loser talk.
He's a good guy. :) He's just a little frustrated is all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad