GDT: Canada v Germany (Gold Medal Game)

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

All the players in this tournament made a decision to pursue hockey as a career choice, these aren't players who are going home and dong their regular day jobs, they all play in leagues one way or the other, they are pro players.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Congratulations to Canada! Your team was well-coached this time and they followed their game plan, which (together with players who have enough individual skill to actually hit the net instead of the goalies chest) resulted in well-earned victory.

Nice to see that the games were tight, though. Germany had a real shot at winning this on a good day, and that's good for the sport!

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It's possible. He got better as the tournament went along. Maybe a team that isn't Vancouver would be a better fit? I don't know.
His cap hit would definitely be a better fit for a different team 😉

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Canada's 8 year run at the WC has been VERY impressive. Always on foreign land, always a rag tag bunch of players thrown together at the last minute and we have 4 Gold, 3 Silver and one 4th(?).

^^ Correct me if I am wrong on the medal count. ^^

That is amazing.

Rag tag bunch of players? Canada always has the most NHLrs on the roster.

To be fair, this board is inundated 24/7 with talk of how Euro leagues and Euro leaguers are laughably inferior to the NHL; err, well except during the World Championships when many NHLers are magically transformed into undesirable, low level rag-tag players.;)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

To be fair, this board is inundated 24/7 with talk of how Euro leagues and Euro leaguers are laughably inferior to the NHL; err, well except during the World Championships when many NHLers are magically transformed undesirable, low level rag-tag players.;)

This is one of the weakest Canadian teams I can remember, and that's just a fact.

However, aside from Switzerland, I'd say most teams here were weaker than usual.

Reactions: 1989 and jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

To be fair, this board is inundated 24/7 with talk of how Euro leagues and Euro leaguers are laughably inferior to the NHL; err, well except during the World Championships when many NHLers are magically transformed into undesirable, low level rag-tag players.;)
Well... "rag tag" for Canada - everything is relative. ;)

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
This is one of the weakest Canadian teams I can remember, and that's just a fact.

However, aside from Switzerland, I'd say most teams here were weaker than usual.

Yea. Me thinks the tournament has yet to fully recover from the Covid stoppage. Russia not playing has also lowered the talent level as well.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That’s what is fun about this tournament.

Guys playing in roles they don’t play in the NHL and on lines with guys on rival teams.
And there is a Canadian intangible. Whether other countries like it or not, whether they want to admit it or not, Canada brings a little something extra to the table - even if we can't put our finger on exactly what it is.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Congrats Canada. Like it usually goes, if other "big" countires screw up their tournament, its Canada who takes the gold without much problems. What a machine of a team. Pure dominating.
thx..and personally I enjoy watching this tournament because Canada never sends it's best players - it's basically the F team. lol. But they come together and play cohesively. The team had a few solid players like Crouse and Weegar for instance, but most of the time Canada sends guys who want NHL contracts, journeyman and elite junior-age prospects (Fantilli). I love that though.
Even montembault from my Habs had a good tourney, but is basically an average NHL goalie.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I really didn’t think Canada put much of a team together. But the tournament fell their way. Got to face Latvia and then Germany. Missed Sweden and the US.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Guys playing in roles they don’t play in the NHL and on lines with guys on rival teams.

I love it b/c players are put in a completely different setting.
It highlights just how little can separate a run-of-the-mill NHLer from a Euro league-er, or top AHLrs. Style of game, coach preference, an open role, chemistry with a teammate, luck, can play a major factor in making the NHL more so than just innate talent.

I mean Kai Wissmann looked like a world beater against NHLrs, yet he's a guy who's struggled at times in the AHL this year.

Reactions: YippieKaey

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Seeing AHL guys roll in and have a role is always cool too - you know some of them are going to get on some team's radar and maybe help get a bit more in AHL salary or a 1-way deal, etc....

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad