GDT: Canada v Germany (Gold Medal Game)

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
This is good for hockey as more & more countries are churning out good players

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
2024 PRAGUE

The Mecca of World Championship Hockey.

Each time the tournament is there Canada has Olympic level players.

Can't wait until next year, really hoping for unreal roster to continue Canadian dominance.
If you mean the 2018 or 22 olympic level players it’s not very impressive.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
And there is a Canadian intangible. Whether other countries like it or not, whether they want to admit it or not, Canada brings a little something extra to the table - even if we can't put our finger on exactly what it is.
Experience? Even if people like to claim it's a no-name roster (every year), they had multiple Stanley Cup winners and also of this particular tournament and other international trophies. Plus that 6000 games of NHL experience. It's not the biggest NHL stars, but the pool of players allows for a well-constructed team year after year. Many competitors have to take their usual suspects regardless of circumstances. Though Germany curiously did well in part because from their very small pool they did some bold choices.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Experience? Even if people like to claim it's a no-name roster (every year), they had multiple Stanley Cup winners and also of this particular tournament and other international trophies. Plus that 6000 games of NHL experience. It's not the biggest NHL stars, but the pool of players allows for a well-constructed team year after year. Many competitors have to take their usual suspects regardless of circumstances. Though Germany curiously did well in part because from their very small pool they did some bold choices.

That’s why it’s great to be Canadian.

We still manage to attract enough guys to play in this European tournament and be competitive enough to win hardware.

Of course, Lucic alone accounts for 1,172 games of that experience.

Multiple guys with experience at this tournament?

Sure, two.

Multiple guys winning the tournament?

No, just one.

Toffolli won gold in 2015 and Myers was there twice, losing in the quarterfinals both times. Compared with most teams, that’s actually very low.

However, to say that Canadians call it a no-name roster every year is a falsehood.

There are years of higher and lower expectations just like with everyone else.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Is it so hard to give Canada credit where is due?

Reactions: jj cale and NyQuil

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Just finished the game now on the PVR.

Solid victory for Canada, strong defensive game.

Came back from a one goal deficit twice to win it. Awesome to see, another gold added to trophy case for Canada.

Congrats to Germany and a big congrats to Latvia, this is Latvia’s day but nice to see Canada do what they were expected to do.

Gold Canada Gold!!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
That’s why it’s great to be Canadian.

We still manage to attract enough guys to play in this European tournament and be competitive enough to win hardware.

Of course, Lucic alone accounts for 1,172 games of that experience.

Multiple guys with experience at this tournament?

Sure, two.

Multiple guys winning the tournament?

No, just one.

Toffolli won gold in 2015 and Myers was there twice, losing in the quarterfinals both times. Compared with most teams, that’s actually very low.

However, to say that Canadians call it a no-name roster every year is a falsehood.

There are years of higher and lower expectations just like with everyone else.
tsn mentioned something about 12 German players from their team who were members of the german team who had beat TC a few years back.

And yet he talks about our "experience"

The european teams here have about every advantage you could ask for going into this thing over Canada, they aren't hard done by.................I'd prefer if more of the fans from there would just say well played and move on.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
There are toxic people from both sides. There are fans that oppose Canada and will try try anything to diminish their success. At the same time, there are Canadian fans that don't get tired shitting on EU tems, the tournement itself or boast how it is their D to Z team (yes, it isn't ther first choice by far).

Personally I find both of these really tiresome.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
true, but the Canadian roster had only one guy who scored more than 20 goals in the NHL this year - Toffoli. I agree with you though, Canada's pool is so deep, Canadians take for granted that even the fringe players can be productive internationally.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Remarkable win for Canada... there was so much handwringing by many Canadian supporters and they find a way.

When you watched the team in the round robin, we looked light on faceoff acumen, penalty killers and scoring. Losing Veleno didn't make it better. Solid goaltending, excellent d and some timely goals... Tip of the cap.

Reactions: NyQuil and jj cale

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Is it so hard to give Canada credit where is due?
Which is? They always have a solid team and it's always their own fans that pretend otherwise because Canadian hockey is supposedly achieving something greater someplace else which it is not. Again the team won because they were the best team in the tournament fair and square, winning games when it counted and I think everyone can easily respect that. Latvia and Germany both showed a lot of heart which the Finnish hosts didn't, but ultimately they didn't come close to matching the quality.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
They always have a solid team and it's always their own fans that pretend otherwise because Canadian hockey is supposedly achieving something greater someplace else
I agree with that. Canadians always dump on their teams and I don't know why. Maybe it is :

1) A "reverse jinz";
2) Canadians lowering expectations;
3) Canadians being modest;
4) Canadians being insecure - even about the thing we are best at.

Americans are the opposite.

Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Why again don't they hold this tourney in September where the best in the world could go head-to-head?

My Best-Carey

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
Could become a wjc sophmore tournament for Canada going forward (minus the superstars). I.e., Laf and Perfetti would be welcome...Bedard not likely.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Why again don't they hold this tourney in September where the best in the world could go head-to-head?

My Best-Carey

Wouldn't make much a difference. Teams wouldn't want players to risk injury before the season.

Maybe in late June/early July but even then players would likely prefer taking off the entire off season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Canada winning is cool I guess, but honestly all 3 playoff matches were free wins for Canada, so they got pretty fortunate with the brackets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad