GDT: Canada - Switzerland

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
I don't like when we are very good before the elimination games.

Saw the other group standings and the more likely opponent in the quarters are the czechs. That's very bad for us.
the last we win 4 in a row was in 2013, so who knows hahaha

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
There is no favorable match up in the quarters. That group is stacked.

Czech and USA are still better matchups than Finland and Sweden. Plus Switzerland can still finish third as well (that would require dropping at least a point against France though), so no point in speculating on the opponent.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Czech and USA are still better matchups than Finland and Sweden. Plus Switzerland can still finish third as well (that would require dropping at least a point against France though), so no point in speculating on the opponent.
Yeah, I agree. I would prefer to avoid Finland and Sweden out of those four teams. But USA and the Czechs are super tough too.

Reactions: torero

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The USA has 0 NHL impact forwards, their only regulation wins were against Latvia and GB. I don't think you can expect to meet weaker teams in the PO. If I were Switzerland I would be delighted to meet them in QF.

Reactions: Speyer and Nico13

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
The USA has 0 NHL impact forwards, their only regulation wins were against Latvia and GB. I don't think you can expect to meet weaker teams in the PO. If I were Switzerland I would be delighted to meet them in QF.
They're the most favourable matchup but you still have to show respect to every opponent. They didn't beat Sweden by random chance, they actually played a really good game today.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Yeah, I agree. I would prefer to avoid Finland and Sweden out of those four teams. But USA and the Czechs are super tough too.

The US is easily the weakest team in that group. I would be stoked if we could draw them in the quarters. They have some good defensemen but their forwards are mostly NCAA players with a few lower level NHL players. On top of that the NA teams usually care less about advancing than the European ones, especially the US.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A loss is for the best - every team needs a loss.

This tournament is way too long. At least now we will get to the good games.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The US is easily the weakest team in that group. I would be stoked if we could draw them in the quarters. They have some good defensemen but their forwards are mostly NCAA players with a few lower level NHL players. On top of that the NA teams usually care less about advancing than the European ones, especially the US.
One thing that the Americans always have going for them is an indomitable spirit that allows them on occasion to rise above their individual qualities. I just hope that if we meet them, they won't be able to.
I would not underestimate them.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
One thing that the Americans always have going for them is an indomitable spirit that allows them on occasion to rise above their individual qualities. I just hope that if we meet them, they won't be able to.

I mean of course you should not underestimate an opponet ever but I still think the other three potential opponetns are stronger. Its also not like the US have that much of a winner mentality in the senior WC. There is a reason why they never won this tournament, even when they had Superstars like Patrick Kane on the team. Lets face it the US are usually the team that cares about winning the WC the least.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't get this glorification take at all. Never won the tournament, played in the relegation round on a couple occasions... Indomitable spirit?? Respecting your opponents is good but this just comes off as talking scared.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
No they are not. US just beat Sweden fairly. Swedes where lucky against Finland. And Czechs just woke up.

1: Finland
2: Czechs
3: USA
4: Sweden

And yet they won over "super good" Sweden. Fairly so.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
No they are not. US just beat Sweden fairly. Swedes where lucky against Finland. And Czechs just woke up.

1: Finland
2: Czechs
3: USA
4: Sweden

And yet they won over "super good" Sweden. Fairly so.

Sweden is getting Nylander for the quarters and are even without him two points above the US in the standings, despite the close loss. Id rather take my chances against the americans. Your bias against your own national team is quite overblown anyway.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I mean of course you should not underestimate an opponet ever but I still think the other three potential opponetns are stronger. Its also not like the US have that much of a winner mentality in the senior WC. There is a reason why they never won this tournament, even when they had Superstars like Patrick Kane on the team. Lets face it the US are usually the team that cares about winning the WC the least.
Let‘s hope it stays like that if we meet them!!!

Reactions: Speyer

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I don't get this glorification take at all. Never won the tournament, played in the relegation round on a couple occasions... Indomitable spirit?? Respecting your opponents is good but this just comes off as talking scared.
Probably the greatest story in world hockey is the Miracle on Ice Team. That‘s the spirit I am talking about. Americans have a can do attitude in everything, that‘s why personally I NEVER take for granted beating them.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Well clearly Canada need some tweaks going into the QFs but won't really be getting much help in practice vs. Denmark and France. This is the caliber of opponent they should be readying for in the knockouts and it doesn't bode well at the first sign of serious opposition.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden is getting Nylander for the quarters and are even without him two points above the US in the standings, despite the close loss. Id rather take my chances against the americans. Your bias against your own national team is quite overblown anyway.
Well USA is getting boldy and hartman.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Well USA is getting boldy and hartman.

Good players no doubt. I still think Nylander is a much bigger upgrade based on what he has shown this season in the NHL and in this tournament in the years past. Its also not like he his Swedens only reinforcement either...

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Former NHL D-man Mattias Norström, LA Kings, now in Swedish TV, of his opinion of the Canadian team this game: "Canada show its boring, bad side. They allowed their attitude to spill over onto their effort on the ice. They were whiny and considered they deserved better. There were divalates, things I really dislike and have seen so many times before (in hockey) in Canada."

Ouch.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Former NHL D-man Mattias Norström, LA Kings, now in Swedish TV, of his opinion of the Canadian team this game: "Canada show its boring, bad side. They allowed their attitude to spill over onto their effort on the ice. They were whiny and considered they deserved better. There were divalates, things I really dislike and have seen so many times before (in hockey) in Canada."

Ouch.
English is not my first language, so maybe I am not getting something that is easily understandable to others, but what does „divalates“ mean?

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Good players no doubt. I still think Nylander is a much bigger upgrade based on what he has shown this season in the NHL and in this tournament in the years past. Its also not like he his Swedens only reinforcement either...
Nylander is just one player. Rest of swedish fowards is grinders. Ullmark is not better than Swayman. Marcus Pettersson is always horrible in Tre Kronor. U could clearly see in the game beetwen USA vs Sweden that USA have more speed than Sweden and more natural skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad