GDT: Canada - Switzerland

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You think we don't have to improve to win Gold this year? hey, let's not a bring a coach at all next year then, we will just let the players come over and run the show!!
I think you are up in arms every year in the group stage because you don't understand the attitude NHL players, especially Canadian ones, come to WC. You have lost to Latvia and France before in the championships you won the gold in the end.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Yes, Swiss have 5 players who aren't no-namers and Canada has 5 players who aren't actual millionaires. Crucial information here.
a pretty narrow-minded point of view concerning international hockey, but yes I get your point. Canada's track record in this tournament against the swiss over the last decade is what exactly?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
a pretty narrow-minded point of view concerning international hockey, but yes I get your point.
Point was that it's exactly the attitude held by the NHL players and most NHL fans, I don't think there is any doubt about that. If you think they care about "the previous record in the tournament" - they don't.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think you are up in arms every year in the group stage because you don't understand the attitude NHL players, especially Canadian ones, come to WC. You have lost to Latvia and France before in the championships you won the gold in the end.
I'm well aware of what we have done in the past, you're missing the point. You need to progressively get better at what you are not doing well at the start of the tournament in order to give yourself a chance to win gold at the end stages of the tournament.

I shouldn't need to explain this.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm well aware of what we have done in the past, you're missing the point. You need to progressively get better at what you are not doing well at the start of the tournament in order to give yourself a chance to win gold at the end stages of the tournament.
It's like saying teams have to play game #82 of the NHL regular season better than they play the game #42. That's simply not true. In both cases, you fight through different circumstances, adversity, fatigue, etc. Austria, for example, is looking completely dead today. That's not them getting "progressively worse", that's them fighting the circumstances they are put against the best they can. The same applies to Canada albeit they face a very different set of problems. And it's not up to the coach (mostly) to magically make those problems go away.

Anyway, this discussion is getting nowhere.

swissdude

May 18, 2019

I agree but it's also part of the truth that you guys have been extremely lucky to even get to the QF last year and if KAZ did not lose against NOR there wouldn't have been a gold medal and Hockey Canada would have probably name another coach that year...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
there are reasons why ottawa has the smartest fans :sarcasm:

A loss usually gives the coach a reason to lecture the players a bit.

It’s kind of hard when you keep winning.

I’ve watched this tournament for decades and typically Canada plays better in the medal round which is why getting worked up about a non-elimination game isn’t really worth it.

We’ve lost to France, Norway, all kinds of teams in the preliminary round.

It doesn’t matter as long as you qualify.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I agree but it's also part of the truth that you guys have been extremely lucky to even get to the QF last year and if KAZ did not lose against NOR there wouldn't have been a gold medal and Hockey Canada would have probably name another coach that year...
Who cares how we got to the QF last year? It only matters what we did with getting in, you know that.

It's like saying teams have to play game #82 of the NHL regular season better than they play the game #42. That's simply not true. In both cases, you fight through different circumstances, adversity, fatigue, etc. Austria, for example, is looking completely dead today. That's not them getting "progressively worse", that's them fighting the circumstances they are put against the best they can. The same applies to Canada albeit they face a very different set of problems. And it's not up to the coach (mostly) to magically make those problems go away.

Anyway, this discussion is getting nowhere.

That I agree with.

A loss usually gives the coach a reason to lecture the players a bit.

It’s kind of hard when you keep winning.

I’ve watched this tournament for decades and typically Canada plays better in the medal round which is why getting worked up about a non-elimination game isn’t really worth it.

We’ve lost to France, Norway, all kinds of teams in the preliminary round. It doesn’t matter as long as you qualify.
It's not about getting worked up, it's about wanting to see the team clean up weaknesses in their overall play that can/will prevent them from winning when the games count.

It's not like after all these years we haven't witnessed what on paper seem like good Canadian teams fail to do this.

Reactions: NyQuil

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
The Swiss are just suffocating Canada rn. Lowry looks amazing today however.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Hischier and Suter have been great. Meier also with his best game 5 on 5 minus the hit. Malgin seems ineffective against the big bodied canadian players though.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Canada playing sluggish / slow with no creativity. Typical Claude Julien hockey. He should never coach on international ice. His methods are designed for NHL size surfaces with 1990's hockey.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada playing sluggish / slow with no creativity. Typical Claude Julien hockey. He should never coach on international ice. His methods are designed for NHL size surfaces with 1990's hockey.
Coachings not important, these are millionaire NHL players, can't expect a coach to get guys like that going against the Swiss of all teams, Julien isn't Jesus after all.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
PLD is an overrated player. He is hurting his team more than helping it with his „physicality“.

Edit: Siegenthaler with the disrespect on Thompson.:D

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Coachings not important, these are millionaire NHL players, can't expect a coach to get guys like that going against the Swiss of all teams, Julien isn't Jesus after all.
Coaching is extremely important. Look at the Swiss who are paying a strong team game with good system play. They are a team that has bought into what the coaches are selling.

Canada looks disorganized and slow. Credit the Swiss who's roster is a far cry from the quality of Canada's, and who are serving Canada its lunch. Of course there is a lot of time to turn it around like Canada did last year. The question is whether Julien can adapt.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Coaching is extremely important. Look at the Swiss who are paying a strong team game with good system play. They are a team that has bought into what the coaches are selling.

Canada looks disorganized and slow. Credit the Swiss who's roster is a far cry from the quality of Canada's, and who are serving Canada its lunch. Of course there is a lot of time to turn it around like Canada did last year. The question is whether Julien can adapt.
My tongue was firmly in cheek when I made that post based on previous discussion in this thread, sorry if you misunderstood.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

My tongue was firmly in cheek when I made that post based on previous discussion in this thread, sorry if you misunderstood.
Put an emoji in there goofball! ;)
Yeah I really should have except since they made this recent format change here The emojis are nowhere to be found when i post, can't find them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad