Canada Russia Summit Series - Junior Edition

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
All Playing in the ADT Challenge...and certainly I recall Rad, Vol & Shir all being mainstays on ur Russian WJC squads ...Makarov was quite the nifty little player ( with of course a famous father ! ) , and Mayer caught my eye too ( particularly his German Sounding name ) + he also often appeared on the goal scoring sheet... so surely everyone of these guys were Russian WJC regulars as well...Varlamov was ur goalie in one of the Gold Medal Games wasn't he ?

I did glance briefly at a couple Russian ADT rosters...and man a lot of those names looked damn familiar as well ...I was too lazy to look up Russian WJC rosters to cross reference them + a lot of those names are bloody difficult for a Canuck...but I'm sure quite a number of those names I saw...who I didn't mention ...likewise played on Russian WJC teams ...perhaps not the same year they appeared in ADT...but at the very least the next year

In addition to ‘lesser’ players…..notice I said YOUNGER as well. So yes, some Russians who played in the ADT Challenge also played in the WJC. However, almost all (at the time of the ADT Challenge) were still “C” or lower players.
No different than some of this year’s Canadian WJC players being “C” or lower level last year. However, the vast majority of Russians chosen for this tourney are scrubs….there’s no denying that.

The fact that you’re impressed with guys like Mayer shows that Russia has good depth….’cause that guy blows.

BTW, Igor Makarov isn’t Sergei Makarov’s son

Btw...I also read a news interview in rushockey.com...about a year ago...where the Russian Junior Coach ( Popikan sp ? ) speaks glowingly about the ADT Canada Russia challenge...how its a great prep for the WJHC & helps expose his young guys to a completely alien/ more physical style of hockey...He also decries the fact that RSL teams refuse to release their U20 RSLers for that ADT Challenge despite him seemingly pleading for them to do so..Now maybe some of his squad did play games in RSL...But my understanding is that the U20's who stuck in RSL, rather then being sent back down to their jr team counterparts... were never released for this ADT tourney...

The guys who aren’t released make up almost all of the “A” and “B” players……but that’s not saying RSL junior players aren’t released. Of course, Popeikin wants to bring good players, however, despite what he says, what's evident is that this tourney isn’t taken seriously b/c RSL teams DO routinely release their players for other junior tournaments in Europe…..but not for the ADT Challenge.

My main bone of contention is ur claim that this was a Russian C or D team vs. Canuck A teams...that's a bit of a stretch !....U look at an average " Q " Adt Challenge game roster & u've got maybe 2 or 3 guys that end up playing for our Nats...Compared to our nats ...who also include WHL, OHL, NCAA and even the odd U20 NHLer ...Team Q ' split squad ' is certainly a C Team...

I’m not saying the Canadian teams are “A” squads…..far from it. They average out to “C” or a little below teams……just like Russia. However, the difference is that Canada has the luxury of playing 90% of its top end talent. Apart from Radulov, Voloshenko and Shirokov that one year, this is rarely if ever the case with Russia. THAT’S THE DIFFERENCE. Canada plays with many of its “A” and “B” players……Russia rarely, if ever, sends its “A” or “B” players.

Do you really want me to make a comparative list of both country’s players who played in the WJC and at the ADT Challenge in the same year? I don’t think you want to go there.

To Reiterate : only a few guys from a Q ADT game roster ( for example ) end up on our Nats...Ergo...I could easily make the argument that this was only our C or D team...Thing is ...because of our tremendous depth...we Canucks could put 6 teams together easily...that'd be capable of beating the RUS WJC Nats ' A ' Team...on a given night...

Now you’re just showing you arrogance or ignorance…….I can’t tell which.
I remember you guys saying the same thing during the Olympics. “We could send 6 teams…..blah blah blah”. Obviously you didn’t learn anything from that 7th place finish.:shakehead BTW, who were you eliminated by?:yo:

Again, Canada has better depth than Russia - no one disagrees. However, the reason the ADT Challenge is so lopsided is not because of depth……..it’s because Canada has FAR MORE of its top “A” and “B” players playing……..while Russia hardly sends any of theirs.
And until you can name be more than a handful of these "A" and "B" Russian players that played throughout the last 4 years, you're gonna have trouble refuting my points.

Last edited:

pouskin74*

@ Zine : Russian names are very difficult for most Canucks...But off the top of my head...I recall guys like Radulov, Voloshenko, Shirokov, Makarov, Varlamov , Mayer , Khodobin ( sp ? )

All Playing in the ADT Challenge...and certainly I recall Rad, Vol & Shir all being mainstays on ur Russian WJC squads ...Makarov was quite the nifty little player ( with of course a famous father ! ) , and Mayer caught my eye too ( particularly his German Sounding name ) + he also often appeared on the goal scoring sheet... so surely everyone of these guys were Russian WJC regulars as well...Varlamov was ur goalie in one of the Gold Medal Games wasn't he ?

I did glance briefly at a couple Russian ADT rosters...and man a lot of those names looked damn familiar as well ...I was too lazy to look up Russian WJC rosters to cross reference them + a lot of those names are bloody difficult for a Canuck...but I'm sure quite a number of those names I saw...who I didn't mention ...likewise played on Russian WJC teams ...perhaps not the same year they appeared in ADT...but at the very least the next year

Btw...I also read a news interview in rushockey.com...about a year ago...where the Russian Junior Coach ( Popikan sp ? ) speaks glowingly about the ADT Canada Russia challenge...how its a great prep for the WJHC & helps expose his young guys to a completely alien/ more physical style of hockey...He also decries the fact that RSL teams refuse to release their U20 RSLers for that ADT Challenge despite him seemingly pleading for them to do so..Now maybe some of his squad did play games in RSL...But my understanding is that the U20's who stuck in RSL, rather then being sent back down to their jr team counterparts... were never released for this ADT tourney...

Zine

Of course it matters wether they're split squads...since split squads ( in theory ) but for the awesome depth we have in the CHL...wouldn't be as strong...Granted a lot of our top level juniors do play in the tourney ( Not on the same team mind u ) ...but so do a lot of urs as I pointed out...

My main bone of contention is ur claim that this was a Russian C or D team vs. Canuck A teams...that's a bit of a stretch !....U look at an average " Q " Adt Challenge game roster & u've got maybe 2 or 3 guys that end up playing for our Nats...Compared to our nats ...who also include WHL, OHL, NCAA and even the odd U20 NHLer ...Team Q ' split squad ' is certainly a C Team...

Now these Q guys are playing Russian Selects who likewise have a few guys who end up playing for the Russian Nats...Yet u imply that the teams dont compare....Well If they don't...that's mainly because we Canucks have much greater depth of talented Juniors than u Russians Do ...Like I said before

Zine :

Oft times the guys that play in both games are on the bubble ...( Eg Sam Gagner ) and Hockey Canada and the WJC coaching staff etc...wanna get a better look at them

Zine: Russia NEVER sends any of their best players..…..not even close to it.

Really not even close ? What Nonsense ! Radulov, Voloshenko, Shirokov, Makarov, Varlamov , Mayer , Khodobin ....That's just the names I can remember...but remember Russian names are tough for us...Plenty o names I can kinda remember but I'd butcher them for sure....+ I'm not gonna bother to look them up...Coulda gone to iihf.com & checked past Rus U20 rosters as well...But I didn't/couldn't be bothered

ZINE :

Well again ur Jr Coach Popikhin thought ADT was important for RUS Jr Development ...There's been plenty of A and B level players in those lineups who did end up on Russian Nat teams...Despite the fact that u seemingly...only feel secure ( since they usually get clobber by CHL squads ) in calling them C or D teams

To Reiterate : only a few guys from a Q ADT game roster ( for example ) end up on our Nats...Ergo...I could easily make the argument that this was only our C or D team...Thing is ...because of our tremendous depth...we Canucks could put 6 teams together easily...that'd be capable of beating the RUS WJC Nats ' A ' Team...on a given night...

By Comparision, a true RUS C or D Jr Team...imo...would probably get beat 10-1 even by a Q split squad...

LIKE I SAID BEFORE OUR DEPTH OF JR TALENT...IS PROBABLY 5 TIMES WHAT IT IS IN RUSSIAN...DOUBT THAT'S ANY EXAGGERATION EITHER

NOSTROVIA/CHEERS !

:shakehead:help:

Poke Check

Dec 31, 2006
Team Canada's roster has been announced:

Goaltenders
Jonathan Bernier
Leland Irving
Steve Mason

Defence
Karl Alzner
Drew Doughty
Keaton Ellerby
Josh Godfrey
Thomas Hickey
Logan Pyett
Luke Schenn
Ty Wishart

Forwards
Zachary Boychuk
Cory Emmerton
Angelo Esposito
Sam Gagner
Colton Gillies
Claude Giroux
Zach Hamill
Stefan Legein
Milan Lucic
Brad Marchand
David Perron
Brandon Sutter
John Tavares
Kyle Turris
Dana Tyrell

Coaches
Brent Sutter, Head Coach
Benoit Groulx, Assistant Coach
Peter DeBoer, Assistant Coach

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Sergei Nemchinov, assisted by Vladimir Popov and another assistant who has not yet been named, will be coaching Russia.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
It looks like Hockey Canada has decided that this series will only be big in Western Canada. They announced the sites as:

September 4 Winnipeg
September 5 Saskatoon
September 7 Red Deer
September 9 Vancouver - Not sure whether its GM Place or PNE Coliseum though.

I'm glad a game will be played here in Saskatoon. I'm looking forward to seeing the best U20 Canadians against the best U20 Russians. I just hope tickets aren't too outrageously priced.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Im gonna try to get tickets for the one in Vancouver, that would be sweet. By the way, its Pacific Coliseum.

Last edited:

Macman

May 15, 2004
I thought the best u-20 players were going to be available? No NHL u-20 players?
What a disappointment. :shakehead

What did you expect? Very few U-20 NHLers are released for the world juniors let alone this tournament.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Goaltenders

*Varlamov Simeon
Sergey Bobrovsky
*Vadim Zhelobnyuk
Nikita Davidov
Alexey Zhigarev
Stanislav Galimov

Defenders

*Yuri Alexandrov
*Igor Zubov
Pavel Doronin
Valeri Zhukov
Konstantin Alekseev
Evgeni Kurbatov
*Vyacheslav Vojnov
Alexey Grishin
Maxim Chudinov
*Ivan Vishnevskiy
*Kirill Tulupov
Ivan Maksimkin
Vasili Vinogradov
Alexey Ishmametev
Anton Danilov
Marat Kalimulin

Forwards

*Alexander Vasyunov
*Artem Anisimov
Aleksandr Ryabev
*Andrei Popov
Maxim Mamin
*Anton Glovatsky
Sergei Zachupeyko
Mikhail Glukhov
Ilya Kablukov
Vyacheslav Solodukhin
*Egor Averin
*Alexei Cherepanov
Evegni Bodrov
*Sergei Korostin
*Maxim Mayorov
*Nikita Filatov
*Evgeni Dadanov
*Kiril Petrov
Vadim Golubtsov
Victor Tikhonov
*Vladimir Zharkov
Konstantin Kulikov
Pavel Fedulov
Mikhail Milekhin
Marat Fakhrutdinov
Sergei Ostapchuk
Igor Karpov
Karpjuk Daniel

* most likely to have a roster spot

Last edited:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Would have been very nice the likes of Vlasic and Crosby and Staal in this tourney, especially for any Canada fans.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I wonder what kind of rosters we're going to see out of this? just how good are the russian are at full strength? anyways?

Collectively the 1988s suck. The 1989s are alright and the 1990s are REALLY good.
They just won the U-18 where Cherepanov and a bunch of the 1990s did really well.

I'd expect a really talented but super young team.

toastman344*

Rob :
thought the best u-20 players were going to be available? No NHL u-20 players? What a disappointment.

I don't see what the Big Deal is really ? Were missing J. Staal + Toews....Nobody else...Granted after what Staal has done in the NHL, thus far...and after Toews' ( imo ) absolutely stellar performance at the senior WC ( where Jonathan far & away outshone Jordan and many others...again imo )

Those 2 young studs are most definitely our two best U20's ....In fact, I believe that Toews in particular would have absolutely owned that Jr Summit Ice..

Small matter though...it's STILL ONLY 2 Guys...

Our Boyz Are Still Gonna WIN...OH CANADA !!!

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
Rob :

I don't see what the Big Deal is really ? Were missing J. Staal + Toews....Nobody else...Granted after what Staal has done in the NHL, thus far...and after Toews' ( imo ) absolutely stellar performance at the senior WC ( where Jonathan far & away outshone Jordan and many others...again imo )

Those 2 young studs are most definitely our two best U20's ....In fact, I believe that Toews in particular would have absolutely owned that Jr Summit Ice..

Small matter though...it's STILL ONLY 2 Guys...

Our Boyz Are Still Gonna WIN...OH CANADA !!!

And I'm sure they received an invite, but likely declined based on the fact they're getting ready for training camp, and don't want to risk injury. That makes perfect sense for me.

Nucklehead007*

Angelo Esposito out of summit series with a groin injury

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=336150&page=NewsPage&service=page

TORONTO (CP) - Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Angelo Esposito has been ruled out of the eight-game Canada/Russia Super Series with a groin injury.

Esposito, taken in the first round of the June draft, was expected to be one of the offensive leaders for the Canadian team.

The 18-year-old will not be replaced for the four-game Russian leg of the series, which begins Aug. 27 in Ufa, Russia.

The Montreal native had 27 goals and 52 assists in 60 games for the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad