Canada Russia Summit Series - Junior Edition

toastman344*

Den:
Do you want make or point here, or just flaming?

Den :
I think the WJC finals show the opposite, that IT'S NOT ABOUT TALENT AT ALL .

Hmmm...Seems to me u started the flame war here... by insinuating that our boyz...three consecutive gold medals over ur ( oh so talented ) russian kids... wasn't a reflection of their OWN TALENT...I'd be interested in hearing u explain that snide comment...surely, something has been lost in translation...since of course ur above disrespecting our Boyz/ Hockey Canada's MAGNIFICENT ACCOMPLISHMENTS :)

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
The three last finals were lost because Russia had inferior physical play and inferior goaltending. Have no idea how to or intention to compare the talents of sorry Russians and magnificent Boyz.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Why? The last WJC final gives no indication to believe so. First, I don't see a talent problem with this years Russian WJC team, which will include the U18 champs. Second, I think the WJC finals show the opposite, that it's not about talent at all.

The U-18 is scheduled at the same time as the CHL playoffs. We send the best available, but our team is always missing a lot of our best players. Really, the USA has a tremendous advantage over every other team as they play together all year long. Congrats on beating them.

I have been hearing how much more talented European players are for years and specifically how Russian players are the most talented. It just isn't true. All of the big 7 nations produce top end talent. As well, if Canada beats Russia, it is only because we brutalized your squad, had superior goaltending or coaching. Why can't you admit that Canada produces talented players as well? Is it because role players from Russia generally don't come over to the NHL and therefore you see over half the Canadians in the NHL filling checking roles? If Russians were so superior, why has the NHL never had a Russian as the Art Ross winner? A Czech and a Swede have done it. If Russian hockey is so much more about skill, why is the RSL so low scoring?

I have tremendous respect for Russian hockey and their players. Russia vs Canada is my favorite hockey. The talent vs grit arguement is dated in the same way that Russia was once thought of as the most cohesive team.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
The three last finals were lost because Russia had inferior physical play and inferior goaltending. Have no idea how to or intention to compare the talents of sorry Russians and magnificent Boyz.

I will agree that Russia was dominated physically and that their goaltending hasn't been as strong as Canada in the last three finals. Canada definitely had a more talented team in 2005. That was one of the best squads any nation has put forth in the WJC. Few can argue that Canada has had the most talented defensemen the last 3 years. Russia had more talented forwards the past two years, but Canada had more talent up front in 2005. That being said, talent isn't just measured by individual skills or goal scoring prowess. You need to have talent from top to bottom.

toastman344*

Den:
Never said anything about who's more talented. But CLEARLY Russia didn't loose because it had LESS TALENT.

CLEARLY ??? Excuse me ???...Of course you had LESS !*&*!! TALENT ( NOT THAT U RUSSIANS WILL EVER ADMIT IT ! ) ...you were OUTSCORED TO THE TUNE OF 15-3 !...Which leaves little doubt who had the BEST Teams...Our Goaltending was Superior...Our D was FAR SUPERIOR...In 2005, THE DEPTH AND OVERAL TALENT OF OUR FORWARDS WERE CLEARLY SUPERIOR AS WELL !

Den:
The three last finals were lost because Russia had inferior physical play and inferior goaltending.

Is the point... lost on u... that goaltending and physical play also requires talent ? Apparently so.... Hockey is a PHYSICAL GAME...and so long as physicality is applied within the rules...it's a bonafide bench mark of ability...CLEARLY, u russians DONT UNDERSTAND THIS GAME CALLED HOCKEY...Nearly as well as u think u do :)

... The oft insinuated myth that Canada only triumphs over Europe/Russia because they ( nefariously ) circumvent the more refined/ sophisticated/ beautiful aspects of the sport ... brutalizing their opponents... a la the triumph of brawn over pure skill ... has been going on for years ...decades even...It's the standard/ wholly predictable ....weak kneed Euro whine/ mantra ...

...Everytime our Boyz win ( and again almost always without our best ) we hear this same song and dance from overseas....most especially from Russians...We also hear about it from ur players...Malkin smugly insisted prior to the 06 WJC final in Vancouver, that if Russia plays up to its potential ( read superior talent ) they would win " EASILY "...

Well Downie and company had an answer...course not the one Malkin was expecting...Malkin was right about one thing though...The Game was " EASY !" ....For Our Canucks !..to the Tune of 5-0 ! :)

Den :
...Have NO IDEA how to or INTENTION to compare the talents of sorry Russians and magnificent Boyz.

No INTENT EH ? ...Yeah right & I got some swamp land in Florida for sale :) ...U said the gold medal games weren't about talent at all...Ergo the winners/ Canada didn't win based on superior talent...Despite outscoring russia badly.....Just because u thought u were being clever with ur insinuations...doesn't mean most Canucks wouldn't have instantly gleaned their connotations...I CERTAINLY DID !

To Reiterate : We hear this same song and dance from Russians ....everytime u lose...and frankly we're sick of it...

Like I said...Pit ALL our Best U20's vs. Yours...and we'll demonstrate in no uncertain terms , where the superior talent lies...as our boyz did in Red Deer in 1995...and as they did even more dramatically in Grand Forks in 2005

Our Grand Forks ' DREAM TEAM' was beating all the top Euro Pretenders , every game to the tune of 6-1, 7-1, 8-1....The closest game was the semi's verse Czechs...which our boyz won 3-1...course we outshot them 47-11 !!!

Canucks would like nothing better than to pit our U20 dream team ( part III ) vs. Russia's Best in an 8 game series...Just TO EXPLODE RUSSIAN MYTHS/ so we can rub our SUPERIOR TALENT...in ur smug faces...which u so richly deserve...

Alas... we DO NOT control NHL GM's....nor does Hockey Canada...so sadly, this isn't gonna happen :( ...BUT ONE CAN DREAM :)

toastman344*

Den :
...YOU ARE FLAMING

Au contraire...more like ur unhappy/being accusatory... because I'm talking forthrightly ...Canuck Style...rather than hiding behind smug insinuations...since u claimed our 3 ( COUNT EM 1,2, 3... ) straight WJC Golds...had NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH TALENT...Translation : It was the result of the triumph of Maple Leaf Brutality/uncouth tactics ...over what was ostensibly russian skill/ artistry etc = A BOGUS MYTH ! :)

That's twice u've claimed I'm flaming btw...Translation: U dont like being ( fairly ) challenged/ held accountable... to defend ur words/ myths......

‘ CLEARLY' U can't defend ur position ....So now ur crying foul ?...Oh he's Flaming...He's Flaming...Help me , mr Moderator/ Referee :)

...I can't help but be reminded of all those Russian Juniors I've seen Diving/ Lying prostrate on the ice...as if they've been shot...But thereafter....and quite predictably ....Never Missing A Shift :).

Stand up and defend ur ‘ nothing to do with talent' hypothesis...as I have done vis a vis my own defense of Canadian Hockey...or don't defend ur phoney Myths ...strictly ur choice...

But Stop ...with the equally phoney ‘ flaming' accusations...Oh my ...mister referee... a Canuck is winning a gold game/ an argument etc... ...unfairly ...via ostensibly uncouth tactics...which smacks of YET ANOTHER PHONEY RUSSIAN EXCUSE / WhINE....:)

NA ZDRAVIE/ CHEERS :)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
To Reiterate : We hear this same song and dance from Russians ....everytime u lose...and frankly we're sick of it...

Like I said...Pit ALL our Best U20's vs. Yours...and we'll demonstrate in no uncertain terms , where the superior talent lies...as our boyz did in Red Deer in 1995...and as they did even more dramatically in Grand Forks in 2005

Our Grand Forks ' DREAM TEAM' was beating all the top Euro Pretenders , every game to the tune of 6-1, 7-1, 8-1....The closest game was the semi's verse Czechs...which our boyz won 3-1...course we outshot them 47-11 !!!

Canucks would like nothing better than to pit our U20 dream team ( part III ) vs. Russia's Best in an 8 game series...Just TO EXPLODE RUSSIAN MYTHS/ so we can rub our SUPERIOR TALENT...in ur smug faces...which u so richly deserve...

Alas... we DO NOT control NHL GM's....nor does Hockey Canada...so sadly, this isn't gonna happen :( ...BUT ONE CAN DREAM :)

On the whole, Canadian juniors are no better than the Russians......quit pretending they are.

Apart from the 1986 generation, the last few years have been sub-par for Russia depth wise. These things run in cycles as the 1990-onward generations look REALLY good. Same reason from '98 to '03 you guys were totally owned by the Russians.

And guess what was heard from you guys back then?.......that's right, the same old song and dance you accuse the Russians of doing.
Complaing about Kovalchuk's fist pump; goalies knocking nets off posts; goalies losing games for you; poor refing; accusing players of spitting on your guys; "if so and so from the NHL was allowed to play we'd win"....all the while ignoring the fact that Russians were facing the same problem; yada yada yada......

The moral of the story: Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

toastman344*

On most years, neigh almost all years... you DO have all ur best RUS U20's @ WJHC'a...We Dont Have all our Best...The Crosby' s, the Staal's ...they're not gonna play WJHC's at 18...much less at 19...

Put CAN's best U20's vs. Russia's best including our best U20 NHLers...and on most years we'll win decisively ...as we did in 1995 and 2005 ...

Minus ur best RSL U20's ....see Canada Russia ADT challenge...U get manhandled even by WHL , OHL & Q split squads...

u were missing Kovulchuk one year at WJHC...but missing ur best U20's is a rarity for u russians...its the norm for us Canucks...

IF.... by some miracle our best U20's are available this summer...including NHLers...WE'LL BEAT U DECISIVELY !!! I GUARANTEE IT !!!!

toastman344*

arrbez
BLS, why are you so angry? Play nice...

I can accept criticism so long as its constructive and fair...Angry ???....Hmmm...

Point taken...

CHEERS

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
On most years, neigh almost all years... you DO have all ur best RUS U20's @ WJHC'a...We Dont Have all our Best...The Crosby' s, the Staal's ...they're not gonna play WJHC's at 18...much less at 19...

Put CAN's best U20's vs. Russia's best including our best U20 NHLers...and on most years we'll win decisively ...as we did in 1995 and 2005 ...

Thank you for making my point for me.........nothing but excuses.

Minus ur best RSL U20's ....see Canada Russia ADT challenge...U get manhandled even by WHL , OHL & Q split squads......

What's this have to do with anything? They get manhandled 'cause Russia sends a 'C/D' squad....everybody knows this:dunno:

u were missing Kovulchuk one year at WJHC...but missing ur best U20's is a rarity for u russians...its the norm for us Canucks...

Rarity? Off the top of my head these are players who've missed a WJC: Vishnevski, Kalinin, Zyuzin, Rybin, Buturlin, Safronov, Semenov, Saprykin, Knyazev, Vorobiev, Kovalchuk, Chistov, Semin, Zherdev, Mirnov, Koltsov, Babchuk, etc. There are probably a lot more that I'm missing.
Regardless of how good they ended up being, these guys were elite players for their age group at the time.

Obviously you dislike Russians because of their 'excuses'........yet no response from you when I give examples of Canadians doing the same?:help:

toastman344*

Zine :
Obviously you dislike Russians because of their 'excuses'........yet no response from you when I give examples of Canadians doing the same?

We dont need excuses...When ALL our Best U20's were avail ...ie our ' Dream Teams' ...in 1995 and 2005...WE WON...going unbeaten & untied...and outscoring the opposition by a huge margin...

Conversely...When u had all ur best assembled in 05, 06, 07...replete with the Ovie's , Malkin's , Radulov's etc...u lost by a wide margin...

Dont tell me if u Russians had been missing the likes of Ovie or Malkin...a la Crosby & Staal for us this year...U wouldn't have even mentioned it...u would have & rightly so...so don't be hypocritical here...

If u beat ALL our best this summer...we will have no excuses...but we wont lose in a best on best U20 tourney...we'll win...imo

I'm sure Canucks want a true best on best U20 summit series...even more than Russians do...

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Zine :

We dont need excuses...When ALL our Best U20's were avail ...ie our ' Dream Teams' ...in 1995 and 2005...WE WON...going unbeaten & untied...and outscoring the opposition by a huge margin...

Conversely...When u had all ur best assembled in 05, 06, 07...replete with the Ovie's , Malkin's , Radulov's etc...u lost by a wide margin...

Dont tell me if u Russians had been missing the likes of Ovie or Malkin...a la Crosby & Staal for us this year...U wouldn't have even mentioned it...u would have & rightly so...so don't be hypocritical here...

If u beat ALL our best this summer...we will have no excuses...but we wont lose in a best on best U20 tourney...we'll win...imo

I'm sure Canucks want a true best on best U20 summit series...even more than Russians do...

Are you going to respond to any of my statements/questions or just flame away? No response to the many Canadian excuses I posted other than "we don't need excuses"?

I agree Canada's been better lately, that's not in question......but these things run in cycles. Again, no response as to why Canada couldn't buy a victory against Russia from '98-'03? I also gave numerous key Russian players that didn't play in those WJCs.

And the 'dream teams' were only 2 WJC.......not big enough sample to back up your assertion that if Canada had NHLers they'd always win.
Considering the '05 team was most likely the best Canadian team ever - they would have been better than any past Canadian team with NHLers included.

toastman344*

Alright ZIne if it makes u feel better ...I will conceded that these things are indeed cyclical...I remember prior to 2005 our Jr's went 7 straight years without gold...There were quite a number of silvers...incl a couple of very close games...One when in fact the Russian goalie ( that fat guy ? ) did purposely knock the net off its moorings in the last 2 minutes , when our guys were buzzing the net...by IIHF rules that shoulda been penalty shot...we ended up losing 5-4 to Rus in gold game that year...a close game we might easily have won... likewise the 2004 silver / loss to USA was probably a game we shoulda have won...Fleury had a 3rd period meltdown ...anyway another close game to be sure...It seems fair to suggest that having all our best those years most likely would have been enough to tip the scales in our favour...Just as it is fair to say that most years we are missing more of our very best talent that are u...

BUT there were other years...even when the score was close...such as Winnepeg in 1999...when the run of play wasn't...That year & a couple of other times...even ALL our Best may very well...NOT have been good enough...

Having said that...I'm convinced that our Jr Talent has been quite high for some time now...So I'm fully convinced in a Best on Best U20 vs. Rus now...WE WOULD WIN...

HOPEFULLY IT WILL COME TO PASS...

CHEERS

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
we ended up losing 5-4 to Rus in gold game that year...a close game we might easily have won... likewise the 2004 silver / loss to USA was probably a game we shoulda have won...Fleury had a 3rd period meltdown ...anyway another close game to be sure...It seems fair to suggest that having all our best those years most likely would have been enough to tip the scales in our favour...Just as it is fair to say that most years we are missing more of our very best talent that are u...

BUT there were other years...even when the score was close...such as Winnepeg in 1999...when the run of play wasn't...That year & a couple of other times...even ALL our Best may very well...NOT have been good enough...

Having said that...I'm convinced that our Jr Talent has been quite high for some time now...So I'm fully convinced in a Best on Best U20 vs. Rus now...WE WOULD WIN...

HOPEFULLY IT WILL COME TO PASS...

CHEERS

I wouldn't say easily. That was a very good Russian team. Talent is cyclical and Canada is peaking right now. We had a bad spot between 98-03 where our depth wasn't good enough to overcome missing NHL players. We still managed to medal most of those years, just like the Russians always seem to do as well. It doesn't appear like the well of talent is going to hit a downturn anytime soon as players like Stamkos, Tavares and others seem to keep appearing for us.

What's this have to do with anything? They get manhandled 'cause Russia sends a 'C/D' squad....everybody knows this

Each squad Canada plays with in that tournament draws from only a quarter of the available talent in the country as they only draw from each of the 3 Major Junior leagues, excluding Junior A, College and AHL/NHL players. Wouldn't that make each team somewhat of a D squad. You are calling out BLS for making excuses, but you are doing the same thing.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Each squad Canada plays with in that tournament draws from only a quarter of the available talent in the country as they only draw from each of the 3 Major Junior leagues, excluding Junior A, College and AHL/NHL players. Wouldn't that make each team somewhat of a D squad. You are calling out BLS for making excuses, but you are doing the same thing.

Not really. Although they may average out to "C" teams, those WHL, OHL and Q squads still had several "A" and high "B" players on each team.....they were playing with high end talent while the Russians, for the most part, sent pure "C/D" squads.

A true CHL "D" squad would be a team made up of the absolute worst talent chosen to participate in the tourney......an "A" team would be the best and so forth.

Last edited:

pouskin74*

Zine :

you look silly -if if if:shakehead who will win we see sooner or later:D august-september.

toastman344*

Even in the ADT challenge ...the WHL , OHL & Q play 2 games each ...and in each game they play ...it isn't the same team each time ....so the OHL is split into 2 different teams...ditto WHL ...ditto Q...

What we all want is another dream team to face the Russian Juniors this summer...what r the chances of seeing that ? ...Man I dunno...But it sure would be nice...

I would have to say in all honesty that a Canadian U20 Best of ...Or " Dream Team"...would be heavy favourites vs. Russians..

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I agree, but I don't see it happening since we already have the World Championships. I'm going to guess they'll be played in London and Calgary since they each have 2 of the most well supported Junior teams in the country and unlike Ottawa and Vancouver aren't officially hosting a World Junior tournament yet.

I'm guessing you'll see a game in Saskatoon as well. We have one of the largest arenas in the CHL (aside from Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton) and no IIHF sanctioned tournaments on the horizon. I would hope they would spread this tournament out across the regions, one in the Maritimes, one in the QMJHL, one in the OHL and one in the WHL.

toastman344*

Zine
Not really. Although they may average out to "C" teams, those WHL, OHL and Q squads still had several "A" and high "B" players on each team.....they were playing with high end talent while the Russians, for the most part, sent pure "C/D" squads.

That's total crap...u sent the best U20 guys u had that weren't in the Russian Super League...and even took one or two Russians from the CHL...vs. OHL, WHL & Q split squads...that's right split squads...It was Russian B team...vs Canuck C & D teams...Is it our fault that our Jr Depth is easily 5 times deeper than yours ?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Zine

That's total crap...u sent the best U20 guys u had that weren't in the Russian Super League...and even took one or two Russians from the CHL...vs. OHL, WHL & Q split squads...that's right split squads...It was Russian B team...vs Canuck C & D teams...Is it our fault that our Jr Depth is easily 5 times deeper than yours ?

Before you call something crap, why don’t you first educate yourself about what you’re talking about.:shakehead

Look at this year……the only “A†and “B†level players Russia sent were Zubarev and Kiryukhin……and possibly Milovzorov --- and those guys are on the lower end of that scale. Everyone else was at a “C†or “D†level.
And who Russia sends has little to do with whether they’re in the RSL or not……this tourney’s used as an opportunity to view “lesser†or younger players to see if anybody has fallen through the cracks. From this year’s roster Milovzorov, Kazionov, Zyuzin, Kiryukhin, Shvalev, Lange, Zubarev, Osipov, Shibaev have all spend time in the RSL.

Plus, it doesn’t matter if Canada plays with split squads. 90-95% of Canada’s best juniors (“A†and high “B†level players) play in the tourney at one point or another -- meaning on any given night you have a handful of your very best players….especially considering (if you look at the stats) many of your elite players play in both games. Russia NEVER sends any of their best players..…..not even close to it.

I’m not saying Russia has more depth than Canada, but understand the tourney for what it is.

But if you're so insecure of Canada not dominating hockey that it makes you believe that Russia sends "B" teams.....by all means go ahead and keep thinking it.:help:

toastman344*

@ Zine : Russian names are very difficult for most Canucks...But off the top of my head...I recall guys like Radulov, Voloshenko, Shirokov, Makarov, Varlamov , Mayer , Khodobin ( sp ? )

All Playing in the ADT Challenge...and certainly I recall Rad, Vol & Shir all being mainstays on ur Russian WJC squads ...Makarov was quite the nifty little player ( with of course a famous father ! ) , and Mayer caught my eye too ( particularly his German Sounding name ) + he also often appeared on the goal scoring sheet... so surely everyone of these guys were Russian WJC regulars as well...Varlamov was ur goalie in one of the Gold Medal Games wasn't he ?

I did glance briefly at a couple Russian ADT rosters...and man a lot of those names looked damn familiar as well ...I was too lazy to look up Russian WJC rosters to cross reference them + a lot of those names are bloody difficult for a Canuck...but I'm sure quite a number of those names I saw...who I didn't mention ...likewise played on Russian WJC teams ...perhaps not the same year they appeared in ADT...but at the very least the next year

Btw...I also read a news interview in rushockey.com...about a year ago...where the Russian Junior Coach ( Popikan sp ? ) speaks glowingly about the ADT Canada Russia challenge...how its a great prep for the WJHC & helps expose his young guys to a completely alien/ more physical style of hockey...He also decries the fact that RSL teams refuse to release their U20 RSLers for that ADT Challenge despite him seemingly pleading for them to do so..Now maybe some of his squad did play games in RSL...But my understanding is that the U20's who stuck in RSL, rather then being sent back down to their jr team counterparts... were never released for this ADT tourney...

Zine
it doesn’t matter if Canada plays with split squads. 90-95% of Canada’s best juniors (“A” and high “B” level players) play in the tourney at one point or another -- meaning on any given night you have a handful of your very best players….

Of course it matters wether they're split squads...since split squads ( in theory ) but for the awesome depth we have in the CHL...wouldn't be as strong...Granted a lot of our top level juniors do play in the tourney ( Not on the same team mind u ) ...but so do a lot of urs as I pointed out...

My main bone of contention is ur claim that this was a Russian C or D team vs. Canuck A teams...that's a bit of a stretch !....U look at an average " Q " Adt Challenge game roster & u've got maybe 2 or 3 guys that end up playing for our Nats...Compared to our nats ...who also include WHL, OHL, NCAA and even the odd U20 NHLer ...Team Q ' split squad ' is certainly a C Team...

Now these Q guys are playing Russian Selects who likewise have a few guys who end up playing for the Russian Nats...Yet u imply that the teams dont compare....Well If they don't...that's mainly because we Canucks have much greater depth of talented Juniors than u Russians Do ...Like I said before

Zine :
many of your elite players play in both ( ADT ) games.

Oft times the guys that play in both games are on the bubble ...( Eg Sam Gagner ) and Hockey Canada and the WJC coaching staff etc...wanna get a better look at them

Zine: Russia NEVER sends any of their best players..…..not even close to it.

Really not even close ? What Nonsense ! Radulov, Voloshenko, Shirokov, Makarov, Varlamov , Mayer , Khodobin ....That's just the names I can remember...but remember Russian names are tough for us...Plenty o names I can kinda remember but I'd butcher them for sure....+ I'm not gonna bother to look them up...Coulda gone to iihf.com & checked past Rus U20 rosters as well...But I didn't/couldn't be bothered

ZINE :
But if you're so insecure of Canada not dominating hockey that it makes you believe that Russia sends "B" teams.....by all means go ahead and keep thinking it.

Well again ur Jr Coach Popikhin thought ADT was important for RUS Jr Development ...There's been plenty of A and B level players in those lineups who did end up on Russian Nat teams...Despite the fact that u seemingly...only feel secure ( since they usually get clobber by CHL squads ) in calling them C or D teams

To Reiterate : only a few guys from a Q ADT game roster ( for example ) end up on our Nats...Ergo...I could easily make the argument that this was only our C or D team...Thing is ...because of our tremendous depth...we Canucks could put 6 teams together easily...that'd be capable of beating the RUS WJC Nats ' A ' Team...on a given night...

By Comparision, a true RUS C or D Jr Team...imo...would probably get beat 10-1 even by a Q split squad...

LIKE I SAID BEFORE OUR DEPTH OF JR TALENT...IS PROBABLY 5 TIMES WHAT IT IS IN RUSSIAN...DOUBT THAT'S ANY EXAGGERATION EITHER

NOSTROVIA/CHEERS !

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad