Canada Russia Summit Series - Junior Edition

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_story/?ID=207456&hubname=

It should be an interesting tournament and is the next best thing to having the NHL players play. Ufa and Omsk look like pretty remote cities but if they are keane on hosting the games then it should be a good fit. I'm curious though as to why they are not in Moscow or St. Petersburgh. Is it just a function of Junior Hockey not being that popular in Europe?

From a Canadian perspective I'm curious about the television and venue setup. Since this is new I think will find its way into the largest Junior Venues in the CHL. I suppose that could still keep Calgary and Vancouver in the hunt.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Man, that was my idea from 3 years ago. NHL players don't have the hate that junior players have. They play with those same russians day in and day out. Junior they want to kill.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Will Crosby and other NHLers be eligible for the tournament?

Crosby turns 20 just weeks before the tournament starts, so he would be ineligible. I highly doubt any established U20 NHLers would go, but who knows. I think the Canada team will just consist of the guys who are going to the WJC summer camp, to give them some sort of a tune up before the real tournament in December. However, with that idea, the roster would be too big. I'm not sure how Canada will select the team, because they may have to hurt feelings in the summer, and that's something they aren't really fond of.

Personally, I would love to see all the eligible U20 players play (eg: Jordan Staal, Jonathan Toews, etc...) but I'm very skeptical. We'll probably see a B or C side once the summer comes around. Of all sports, hockey seems to disappoint the most when it comes to building international teams. People opt out for any reason they can think of, and we are always left with a product that isn't truly the best that we could have hoped for. I think only the World Juniors curb that trend, although the best U20s are probably playing in the NHL, and aren't released.

Pushkin*

Well the Olympics you have it all the best are there and so far in 3 Olympics Canada has only 1 medal who would have believed that when we heard the classics" well our best players are not there well we could send 3-4 teams" AAHAHAHA 6 Losses already with "your"best finland swiss russia sweden finland czech 6 losses!!!!!!!! I must say Team Canada Moscow 2007 is better than team Canada Nagano and Turin !!!!

Macman

May 15, 2004
Will Crosby and other NHLers be eligible for the tournament?

The series ends just before NHL training camps open so it seems like Hockey Canada is hoping guys like Toews and Staal will be available. I seriously doubt, though, that any NHL team will allow players under contract to play in this thing.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
I hope one of these games comes to the Martimes!

I agree, but I don't see it happening since we already have the World Championships. I'm going to guess they'll be played in London and Calgary since they each have 2 of the most well supported Junior teams in the country and unlike Ottawa and Vancouver aren't officially hosting a World Junior tournament yet.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Call me crazy but anybody else see a prediction like 6-2 for Canada? This might be a great coming out party for Tavares.

grifftopia*

russia will get smoked, last three wjhc, canada beat russia 6-1, 5-0, and 4-2

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Personally, I would love to see all the eligible U20 players play (eg: Jordan Staal, Jonathan Toews, etc...) but I'm very skeptical. We'll probably see a B or C side once the summer comes around.

Well, if that is the case, it will be a huge waste of effort and money then. I find a B Canadian team playing in Russia as useless as most Canadians - the Russian ADT Challange teams

Macman

May 15, 2004
Well, if that is the case, it will be a huge waste of effort and money then. I find a B Canadian team playing in Russia as useless as most Canadians - the Russian ADT Challange teams

Canada will be out to win. I'm sure it'll be the calibre of our world junior teams every year -- the best we have minus three or four guys the NHL won't release.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Can they do that? If this is happening before the camps, who prevents players from going?

NHL teams can prevent them if they're under contract. I can't imagine any reason why Pittsburgh would allow Jordan Staal, for instance, to play in what for them is a meaningless junior tournament. Toews is also under contract. I suppose it's conceivable that Chicago would let him play because he has yet to play in the NHL and it would be good preparation, but I'd be surprised if they do.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
NHL teams can prevent them if they're under contract. I can't imagine any reason why Pittsburgh would allow Jordan Staal, for instance, to play in what for them is a meaningless junior tournament. Toews is also under contract. I suppose it's conceivable that Chicago would let him play because he has yet to play in the NHL and it would be good preparation, but I'd be surprised if they do.

NHL teams usually only prevent players from attending these types of tournaments when it conflicts with their own schedule, as in what happens during the U-20 tournament. I really can't see any NHL team preventing their players from attending. If they are that worried about injuries, all players would have clauses in their contracts about avoiding certain activities...like Selanne racing around in one of his 50+ cars during the summer.

WJC is my favorite hockey year in and out, even during the Olympics. Those kids always seem to play hard every shift. Russia and Canada have always been the class of that age group and every year I look forward to them meeting for the Gold medal game. Having 8 games in row with these two teams is going to be amazing. I can't wait. It would have been great if they had been able to make it at least an U-24 tournament so that AO, EM, SC and others could play, but it will still be fantastic.

I would think that Canada would be the favorite based on the 3 previous Gold medal games, but since this should be a matter of pride for both nations, I hope both teams have all the best players and that the series produces some amazing hockey.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
I'm sorry but at junior level this series makes no sense. Junior teams rely on talent much more than senior teams, which means that Canada will hammer the Russians like 7-1.

toastman344*

U guys predicting an easy Canuck victory in this 8 game Junior Summit...are living in dreamland ...imo...

Btw...I can't be accused of bias...since I'm a Canuck...I fear people have been undully influenced by the CHL's yearly trouncing of the Russian Selects in the December ADT Canada -Russia Challenge...Forgetting that The Russian Select Teams have zero/ziltch/nada U20 guys from their Russian Super League...THAT WILL NOT BE THE CASE THIS SUMMER...

Less some forget too...We were NOT the favorites in 2 out of the last 3 World Junior Finals...Despite Winning Gold...Of Course in Grand Forks in 05...When We Had Our World Jr ' Dream Team' We Were Heavy Favourites...But Dream Teams ...stocked with top draft picks...come every Blue Moon...

Tretiak is Prez of the Russian Hockey Federation...And this ( Juniors or not ) 8 game tribute / attempt to recapture some of the Glory of the Summit Series on its 35 year anniversary ...was Tretiak's idea in the First Place ! & Tretiak is anxious to turn the tables this time...

Make no mistake...WE'LL BE FACING ALL OF THE BEST U20'S RUSSIA HAS TO OFFER...& they'll be ready & loaded for Bear too...UNLESS MOST , OR ALL, OF OUR BEST ARE PRESENT ( which should be enough for a Team Canada victory )...THE MOST LIKELY SCENARIO IS THAT OUR BOYZ WILL GET BEAT !

..it seems unlikely to me ...that NHL teams will make all our best U20's available ...At a guess...I'd say Quite a number of our Best U20's...scheduled to attend NHL training camps..won't be allowed to play in this Jr Summit series...

Hopefully I'm wrong ...but I doubt it...

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
I'm sorry but at junior level this series makes no sense. Junior teams rely on talent much more than senior teams, which means that Canada will hammer the Russians like 7-1.

Why? The last WJC final gives no indication to believe so. First, I don't see a talent problem with this years Russian WJC team, which will include the U18 champs. Second, I think the WJC finals show the opposite, that it's not about talent at all.

toastman344*

Den :
I think the WJC finals show the opposite, that it's not about talent at all.

Its not about talent eh ? Why, just cuz our boyz spanked ur sorry russian crew... and u need to attribute it to dumb luck ? :) It is to laugh... Just think how much easier it woulda been for our side with all our best...since we did it this past year...without the likes of Crosby, Staal , Vlasic, Latendresse & Brule ...who were all busy in the NHL

3 GOLDS in a row for our Junior World Champs...out scoring ur lowly russian silverados to the tune of 15- 3 over those 3 final games ( 6-1, 5-0, 4-2 ) ...How do u say " TOTAL DOMINATION !! " in russian ? :)

Our kids have also gone 18 straight games without a loss @ WJHC's....a feat only matched one other time... in the history of the tourney...Yeah that's right ...both times by CANADA !!!

18w's ...That TAKES SUPREME TALENT BABY ...rather than supreme arrogance which seems more common on ur side of the pond ( see the WJC Showboating of Ovechkin in the semi finals vs. USA in Grand Forks...& the pre gold game bragging of Malkin and others in Vancouver ... )

PUT ALL OUR BEST U20'S ON THE ICE... & OUR BOYZ WILL CLOBBER YOURS...ANYWHERE , ANYTIME ...

OH CANADA !!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->