Canada has "rigged, kidnapped and bought the Wjc"

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I've watched too many years where it was played in Europe, and the game has maybe 200 fans, unless it's the home team, or Canadians pack the arena. The IIHF gets a ton of money from the tournament when they're in Canada or the northern US states. And that's with rock bottom ticket pricing in Europe for many years.

I would love to see a system where Europe gets 3 tournaments in a row before coming back to Canada. But, you also need the European fans to buy in, as well. And for the most part, that hasn't been happening.

And on another note, Sweden should be the last team to complain about officiating this year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Link above. It's in Swedish (google translate) and the view of a Swedish journalist in a main media outlet. In short the article says that "Hockey Canada" has kidnapped, bought and rigged the wjc tournament. It started in the 1980's , began to have an effect in the Lindros-era in the 90s up til now. Canada the host of 11 wjc tournaments since 2003. Three in a row 2021-23 , difficult to find anything like it in any other global sport.. Hockey Canada Earns ALOT of money on domestic and foreign hockey-talents (that get nothing from participating). Lots of economic figures/numbers in the article. Fasel and Putin and Hockey-Canada in the same corruption boat. This is from the article, not necessarily my (Snauen the threadstarter) view. I think there could be an intresting discussion here about it though. / Regards
No no, Hockey Canada just buys the silence of the women their team assaults and rapes.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd like to see it held somewhere like Texas or Nebraska so it doesn't get overrun by thousands of obnoxious Canadians.

I know it won't happen, but having the UK (likely London) host it one year would be amazing. The United Kingdom definitely has the wealth and ability to boost their hockey program by several notches if they could get more grass roots interest in the sport. Feels like one of the better untapped markets out there...if the IIHF were willing to invest some effort into nurturing it.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Link above. It's in Swedish (google translate) and the view of a Swedish journalist in a main media outlet. In short the article says that "Hockey Canada" has kidnapped, bought and rigged the wjc tournament. It started in the 1980's , began to have an effect in the Lindros-era in the 90s up til now. Canada the host of 11 wjc tournaments since 2003. Three in a row 2021-23 , difficult to find anything like it in any other global sport.. Hockey Canada Earns ALOT of money on domestic and foreign hockey-talents (that get nothing from participating). Lots of economic figures/numbers in the article. Fasel and Putin and Hockey-Canada in the same corruption boat. This is from the article, not necessarily my (Snauen the threadstarter) view. I think there could be an intresting discussion here about it though. / Regards

?????????

The IIHF makes money out of it. The whole point of putting it in Canada so often is that Canada has far more hockey fans than anywhere else that will spend money to watch juniors.

It is a tiny bit like College Football is in the USA.

Putting it in Europe more often might grow the game a little faster there but it would lose the IIHF money. If anything at all were to change I'd like it to be randomly held in places outside North America and Europe every 4 or 5 years but those countries need to catch up at least a little first.

I know it won't happen, but having the UK (likely London) host it one year would be amazing. The United Kingdom definitely has the wealth and ability to boost their hockey program by several notches if they could get more grass roots interest in the sport. Feels like one of the better untapped markets out there...if the IIHF were willing to invest some effort into nurturing it.

This is the type of thing I would like every 5 years or so. Go to a London, Paris, Madrid, Rome, Milan, Vienna, Budapest, etc.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
It's probably better let Canada have WJC every year. They have the interest watching hockey.
Get rid off bronze medal game. Who wants to play hard for 3rd place anyway?

Finland has more than enough Skodas and other tournaments already.

Nov 1, 2011
Isn’t this tournament a nothing u20 tourney for hockey that got hyped up by TSN so that they would have programming through the winter break?

So the country who’s sport station popularized the tournament gets to host it more because of money…makes sense to me.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I live here and I can tell you there would be very little interest down here (London). However, when the most recent 1A world championships were held in Nottingham and GB games were very popular, so if ever in the future they host I think that would be the place

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
(Since it's one of the main discussions here)

One of the reasons for the focus on North America hosting, outside of TSN and Hockey Canada diving into a pile of gold coins, was attendance in the 00s in European nations for these events stunk, even with smaller venues.

2000 - Sweden (1,191 per game)
2001 - Russia (2,474 per game)
2002 - Czech (3,600 per game)
2007 - Sweden (2,000 per game)
2008 - Czech (3,300 per game)

1,191 and 2000 per game? Yeah, I would pass on Sweden too. Some games looked like they had 100 people for the lesser followed teams.

North American venues were bigger, but still were pulling in big numbers compared to their European competitors. As a business, of course you would want to focus on places that actually show interest.

In general it seems like the interest has grown (returned?) in European host countries, so maybe evil Canada won't get as many hosting jobs.
Host country isn’t the only factor but doesn’t seem like most read the article. Where the actual money goes is a factor too, as is the question of whether or not the IIHF should have sold out the tournament like this for the sake of money. Imagine if the New York Rangers had financial control of the Stanley Cup Playoffs because they are the biggest draw? Benefitting financially even when they are not playing/hosting? Would people still argue ”of course they control it, look at attendance when they are playing!”?

Macman

May 15, 2004
I‘m confused. We’ve been told for years, usually after a Canadian win, that nobody but Canada gives a crap about the world juniors, so now they do?

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Sounds like sour grapes from Sweden, who despite many great players over the years, almost never wins gold as they choke in the big games every year. Most countries, like Canada, Finland, and USA have won the tournament through heart and determination in years when they don't have the best team.

Note: I'm not a Sweden hater, admire the country a ton, and some of their players are my all-time favourites, in particular Alfie. Just telling it like it is.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
There is absolutely nobody on the planet as arrogant as a Canadian hockey fan. Their tears are the hockey world’s collective lube

Reactions: Bixby Snyder

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Host country isn’t the only factor but doesn’t seem like most read the article. Where the actual money goes is a factor too, as is the question of whether or not the IIHF should have sold out the tournament like this for the sake of money. Imagine if the New York Rangers had financial control of the Stanley Cup Playoffs because they are the biggest draw? Benefitting financially even when they are not playing/hosting? Would people still argue ”of course they control it, look at attendance when they are playing!”?

Right!

Time to bring the World Championships back to where hockey came from.

Just because they get a lot more money from hosting it in Europe and attendance and viewership would be much poorer is no excuse.

Your outrage on our behalf is appreciated.

Last edited:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I live here and I can tell you there would be very little interest down here (London). However, when the most recent 1A world championships were held in Nottingham and GB games were very popular, so if ever in the future they host I think that would be the place

To further address England.....Premier League Football has games almost everyday through the holidays. There is not much room for the WJCs to get a foothold there at the time of year the WJCs are played.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To further address England.....Premier League Football has games almost everyday through the holidays. There is not much room for the WJCs to get a foothold there at the time of year the WJCs are played.

I have a feeling that the majority of the fans would not be Britons.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I have a feeling that the majority of the fans would not be Britons.

Not to be ill, but what's the advantage? It can't be easier for all the European teams to get to London than to Sweden, right? How would London be a better place than somewhere else in Europe where people would actually care about the local team?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not to be ill, but what's the advantage? It can't be easier for all the European teams to get to London than to Sweden, right? How would London be a better place than somewhere else in Europe where people would actually care about the local team?

it isn’t. Not sure where I said that.

Point being that the attendance composition would likely be the same regardless of when they held the tournament in England.

Mostly non-English people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad