Canada has "rigged, kidnapped and bought the Wjc"

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
It's still a mystery what people are even upset about. Canada is the biggest hockey country, so of course we host the most tournaments. Most international soccer events occur in Europe, because soccer is a bigger draw there. It's not a conspiracy, it's common sense. Tournaments are very expensive to host, so they host them in locations that are feasible. It's simply a fact that Hockey Canada contributes more to hockey than any other hockey federation. World Juniors has been, and continues to be, a great tournament, and all participating nations are to thank for that.

Obviously, Russia will not be allowed to participate until most of the other participating European nations agree to allow them, this is out of the hands of Canada, and the US. It's pretty common to sanction/ban athletes from countries that are at war with countries that make up the majority of the international sporting community. The IOC, FIFA, and IIHF have done it numerous times in the past. If Russia cared about their athletes participating in international sporting events, they wouldn't invade countries that are part of those international sporting events.

Reactions: Voight

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Skinnermoney.gif

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
Good thing we let other teams win from time to time to keep up appearances.

You’re welcome.
While they’ll always be near the top, Canadas stranglehold on this tournament is clearly over. Other countries are catching up.

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Finland flag also have blue cross on white background. We are just humble followers of Jesus Christ.

RichT M

Jan 2, 2024
I can't speak for the European countries, but Canada is passionate about this tournament. I had a business trip to Toronto a couple weeks ago (I'm from the U.S.) and was amazed at the press and talk this event was getting. 99% of people in the U.S. have never heard of World Juniors.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Where’s my eyeroll emoji?

Canada hosts it regularly because of money, yeah. We have more cities where more people shell out more coin to see more games. At the 2019 tournament, all the non-Canada games in Victoria were packed (just a 7,000 seat rink, but still). The tournament is popular here, to the point that TSN is essentially the host broadcaster everywhere. If more countries in Europe showed more of an interest it would be over there more often. I may not be a fan of global capitalism but that’s the world we live in.
And just to add on to my otherwise excellent post, I'll just go ahead and point you to the livestreams of most of the tournaments the IIHF hosts. See the empty seats? With the exception of the senior men's and women's world championships and the men's U20 tournament in the top division, just about every IIHF tournament plays to mostly empty arenas. That means the other 31 tournaments (including the men's U18) are at best treading water, and realistically losing buckets of money.

So the successful, profitable tournaments - with the IIHF collecting a share of the profit - have to subsidize all the rest of the IIHF's operations. Obviously the biggest revenue generator among the tournaments will be the senior men's tournament - 16 teams and 942 games or whatever length it ends up being will bring in the coin - but the additional money brought in from a very profitable U20 tournament makes it easier for the IIHF to: A) run the remainder of the tournaments and B) expand their development programs to less prominent hockey countries. Want to argue that the IIHF is badly run/corrupt or whatever, or even not doing that development well enough/fast enough? Bring receipts and I'll be happy to listen, but given that non-traditional hockey countries are starting to arrive in the world championship pantheon (Arab states and some of the wealthier Asian countries, for example), I'd give them a little bit of credit.

So again, if European countries want to host the tournament, they better get ready to support the thing, especially when their team is sitting out.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Kind of sounds like how USA has "rigged, kidnapped, and bought" the CONCACAF Gold Cup in soccer when reality is everyone wants it here because it makes more money.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I don't understand why this tournament isn't more popular. Typically, it's high scoring and a little more intense [definitely feel it missing with the Russians not there however].

As a Canadian, could I suggest that is a view for which I feel considerable empathy but which is probably unique to Canada?

To the 99.5% of the world's population in which "sport" is not spelled h-o-c-k-e-y, hockey is just another sport, one played almost exclusively in places with cold climates. Do we Canadians care about world junior baseball championships, world junior football (not soccer) championships or world junior basketball championships, or do we even know if such championships exist?

Only in Canada could someone name a book about hockey "The Game" and have most of the country understand perfectly and think it makes complete sense. Hockey is far more important to Canadians than it or probably any other sport is to the people of any other country.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
As a Canadian, could I suggest that is a view for which I feel considerable empathy but which is probably unique to Canada.

To the 99.5% of the world's population in which "sport" is not spelled h-o-c-k-e-y, hockey is just another sport, one played almost exclusively in places with cold climates. Do we Canadians care about world junior baseball championships, world junior football (not soccer) championships or world junior basketball championships, or do we even know if such championships exist?

Only in Canada could someone name a book about hockey "The Game" and have most of the country understand perfectly and think it makes complete sense. Hockey is far more important to Canadians than it or probably any other sport is to the people of any other country.
Sad but true. Though I will say that I absolutely did know about the Basketball equivalent of World Juniors which is the U19 tournament that Canada actually won just a few years ago, beating the vaunted US. Number one! Number one! :laugh:

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
It is huge in Canada to the point where it is a tradition that once the Christmas Turkey dinner wears off the next day you know you are watching the first game of the tournament. I honestly can't picture watching the tournament (at least at the beginning) without my Christmas tree being up in my living room and wrapping paper still on the floor. The only time I eat Ferrero Rocher chocolate is around Christmas time and believe it or not I associate that with this tournament. Honestly, it is built into the minds of fans that much here. While I know many would disagree with me here, I was all for the Russians hosting it last year. I really have missed them playing in this tournament. But in a scramble Canada took the tournament instead.

I actually think Sweden did a good job hosting it this year, and I am totally fine with more of them being in Europe in countries that watch it. We didn't win this year with a ton of NHL talent not eing available to us and some over fancy playing (seriously guys, shoot the darn puck when you are in a good position to!) but as much as I love seeing us win in Canada I actually like it more when we beat a host country on their own home ice. So yeah, I am all for Finland, Czechia, etc. getting it more.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Canada hosts it so much cause they bring the most money and viewers by a landslide, not some "rigging" nonsense! Thread and story is garbage.

Reactions: Voight and NyQuil

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
What I don't like that Finland and Sweden are both constantly blamed for cok-blocking Canada and Russia having fun.

While Finland and Sweden are both very small countries that have absolutely nothing to do w/ the whole situation. We are not some global superpowers that can chance any situation just like that. We just show up in ice hockey tournaments, do our very best and that's about it.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Well said. Russia needs to be back in, there's no excuse at this point. Banning them for 2022 & 2023 tournaments - fine. But it's 2024 now, that war isn't ending anytime soon and last time I checked, we competed against the USSR when they were our (the West's) sworn enemy. If you want show superiority, beat them in competition/sport. The players have nothing to do with it. The tournament's integrity suffers because of it.
Is Russia out solely because of the Ukrainian War, or is it partly also the state sponsored doping that has them officially out of the Olympics?

I'm against politics in sport, but am in favour of bans based on state sponsored doping.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Where’s my eyeroll emoji?

Canada hosts it regularly because of money, yeah. We have more cities where more people shell out more coin to see more games. At the 2019 tournament, all the non-Canada games in Victoria were packed (just a 7,000 seat rink, but still). The tournament is popular here, to the point that TSN is essentially the host broadcaster everywhere. If more countries in Europe showed more of an interest it would be over there more often. I may not be a fan of global capitalism but that’s the world we live in.
Seriously. The entire reason it's played in Canada so often is because of attendance. Canada draws much, much better than other countries.

Strangle

May 4, 2009

Link above. It's in Swedish (google translate) and the view of a Swedish journalist in a main media outlet. In short the article says that "Hockey Canada" has kidnapped, bought and rigged the wjc tournament. It started in the 1980's , began to have an effect in the Lindros-era in the 90s up til now. Canada the host of 11 wjc tournaments since 2003. Three in a row 2021-23 , difficult to find anything like it in any other global sport.. Hockey Canada Earns ALOT of money on domestic and foreign hockey-talents (that get nothing from participating). Lots of economic figures/numbers in the article. Fasel and Putin and Hockey-Canada in the same corruption boat. This is from the article, not necessarily my (Snauen the threadstarter) view. I think there could be an intresting discussion here about it though. / Regards

They could have played in Russia this year, like they were supposed to.

Reactions: Voight and NyQuil

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Idk why but Swedes, on average, look to have the most hostile and angry fans and media towards Canada. Even moreso than the US. The Finns seem chill with us, same with the Czechs and even the Russians for the most part.

The Swedes just have this bizarre bitterness towards us.
You guys have a history of cheap shots against team Sweden

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Sad but true. Though I will say that I absolutely did know about the Basketball equivalent of World Juniors which is the U19 tournament that Canada actually won just a few years ago, beating the vaunted US. Number one! Number one! :laugh:
FIBA U19 World Cup loses too much talent to the NBA Draft. Not in the way that Canada loses players to the NHL, but as in like any player that goes into the Draft after their freshman year isn't there. I also wouldn't necessarily say it's a "best available" among those left necessarily but hard to know everything that goes on behind the scenes until a camp roster is announced. USA still wins it most of the time of course as one would expect. Canada did win it the year with RJ Barrett, and France beat USA in the semis and then Spain won the final over France this past year.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
FIBA U19 World Cup loses too much talent to the NBA Draft. Not in the way that Canada loses players to the NHL, but as in like any player that goes into the Draft after their freshman year isn't there. I also wouldn't necessarily say it's a "best available" among those left necessarily but hard to know everything that goes on behind the scenes until a camp roster is announced. USA still wins it most of the time of course as one would expect. Canada did win it the year with RJ Barrett, and France beat USA in the semis and then Spain won the final over France this past year.
Sure, but if Canada loses this much to the NHL and we're not supposed to care about it, then the same goes for the USA in basketball. :thumbu:

I do wish Canada did more coverage of that tournament though.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Sure, but if Canada loses this much to the NHL and we're not supposed to care about it, then the same goes for the USA in basketball. :thumbu:

I do wish Canada did more coverage of that tournament though.
It’s not really the same. (Almost) every future nhl star plays in the world juniors at some point. That isn’t close to the case for fiba u19.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad