Canada has "rigged, kidnapped and bought the Wjc"

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
To further address England.....Premier League Football has games almost everyday through the holidays. There is not much room for the WJCs to get a foothold there at the time of year the WJCs are played.
Has there ever been a British team in the WJC tournament?

It would seem very odd to play it without a home team. I don't know that it would be a good idea to invite GB either if they would just get romped at home.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Host country isn’t the only factor but doesn’t seem like most read the article. Where the actual money goes is a factor too, as is the question of whether or not the IIHF should have sold out the tournament like this for the sake of money. Imagine if the New York Rangers had financial control of the Stanley Cup Playoffs because they are the biggest draw? Benefitting financially even when they are not playing/hosting? Would people still argue ”of course they control it, look at attendance when they are playing!”?

Your comparison doesn't work at all. This isn't adult professionals in a 6 billion dollar industry; it's unpaid adolescents.

If this tournament didn't blow up as a holiday tradition in Canada, there wouldn't be any money to go anywhere to begin with.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
What i reading?

It's hard to discuss in this forum because politics are not allowed but please think before you write. Look at the news what russia is doing. Hockey Canada should use its influnence to keep them banned for many more years, maybe forever. They are free to have their own tournament with belarus and north korea.

Just purely from a hockey standpoint, they are missed, that much is for sure. Whatever anyone's opinion is on the non-hockey issues are another story, but even winning gold the last couple of years was nice and all but I did miss Russian/Canadian games for sure. Remember the gold medal game in 2020? Wow, what a match! Easily the best hockey game I've seen this decade at the Juniors.

Reactions: Voight and poobags

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
Now do the Olympics and how the athletes participate for free. Then the Hockey World Championship. Then look into what Word Cup of Soccer teams are paid versus how much revenue is generated. Heck, then look into how Hockey Canada takes revenue from every house league in the country while kicking nothing back. Thanks Alan Eagleson, you pirate.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Host country isn’t the only factor but doesn’t seem like most read the article. Where the actual money goes is a factor too, as is the question of whether or not the IIHF should have sold out the tournament like this for the sake of money. Imagine if the New York Rangers had financial control of the Stanley Cup Playoffs because they are the biggest draw? Benefitting financially even when they are not playing/hosting? Would people still argue ”of course they control it, look at attendance when they are playing!”?
Like I said, I was commenting on a subject a lot in here were discussing.

If Europeans didn’t want Canada and the IIHF to have a closer relationship, they shouldn’t have ignored the tournament for over a decade.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Welcome to earth.

They play predominantly in Canada because the tournament makes the most money there. They also tend to stay close to the canadian border when an American location is chosen.

It's the same reason why the concacaf gold cup is always played in United States, typically in areas with strong Mexican contingent.

I'm not a fan of going back to the same places over and over, but this is not something new, and it's certainly not unique to hockey or hockey Canada.

Reactions: Rabid Ranger

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It is what it is.

It gives the Canadian team an unfair advantage that they get to host so often, but making money is a large part of the equation. If the other countries stepped up, and mostly their fans stepping up and attending, it would be easier to not host so many tournaments in Canada. The broadcasting issue too. As a US fan, the fact that we don't have a true US broadcast (they have two guys call the tournament off a monitor in the NHL Network Studio with TSN production) needs to be corrected. Canada shows a much greater commitment to this tournament, and the others need to change that, if they don't want so many tournaments hosted in Canada.

Sweden is also one of the countries that advocates for Russia to be banned from this tournament. I don't think Canada or USA care that much. If you want a more competitive tournament where Canada doesn't have so many advantages, you shouldn't be one of the drivers of making the big 5 in international hockey the big 4.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
It is about the money honey and Canada only started caring after the brawl. People forget that prior the brawl? Canada had to BEG to get some players to play
Not quite. The previous year (1986) was the first one played entirely in Canada. A couple of games were shown in prime time on the CBC, the game against the Soviets got a huge build up (sold out Copps Coliseum, $8 tickets being scalped for $125)..

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Here is my solution...

Canada can host it every single year. Every single one.

But the profits get split 10 way evently between the 10 participating nations to help build their programs. The locals can benefit from the increased tourism, beer sales and such. Keep the 50-50 money for the local program of the hosting town.

BUT no more NHL cities... tour Canada like Jann Arden would!

And maybe that is what is happening.. but I suspect (and happy to be told to f*** off here) that the strongest hockey nation hosts this and gets richer while the rest get poorer? Am I right? Using my Czechs, do they make any money when it's in Ottawa to develop their players? Do their players get paid to play on TSN in sold out arenas in Halifax while 'heave away' (love that song) blares in the background?

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
My prediction is the WJC will lose its luster in Canada once boomers die off on a grand scale, and TSN and Hockey Canada know they have to maximize profits now in preparation for a major revenue drop. Young Canadians aren't into hockey like they used to be, and the COVID/HC scandal certainly didn't help.

This could explain why a Canadian was put in charge of the IIHF. Tardiff himself said the IIHF needs the WJC "to survive", which we all know is bullshit -- they need the WJC to make more money. They'll still turn a profit playing them anywhere else.

Newer generations of Canadians don't seem as obsessed with the WJC as boomers, and someone in their early 20's isn't faced with a Cold War that made rooting for the National Team an extension of the fight against communism, which according to western leadership was everyone's civic duty. Don Cherry became popular for a reason, and it's not because he explained a dump and chase.

Look at the crowds in Halifax last year and the 3500 who went to Sweden, and you see the vast majority are 60-70 year olds. I'm going to guess the average 30-something Canadian can't fathom spending $10K for a cross-continental trip to watch teenagers play in a tournament they can stream on their phone.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
This could explain why a Canadian was put in charge of the IIHF. Tardiff himself said the IIHF needs the WJC "to survive", which we all know is bullshit -- they need the WJC to make more money. They'll still turn a profit playing them anywhere else.
The IIHF needs to pay to the organizers of lower divisions, only the top-level organizer fee is income.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Your comparison doesn't work at all. This isn't adult professionals in a 6 billion dollar industry; it's unpaid adolescents.

If this tournament didn't blow up as a holiday tradition in Canada, there wouldn't be any money to go anywhere to begin with.
And even moreso, without big profits from the WJCs, there wouldn't be enough money to run all the other IIHF events that basically don't draw anyone but player's families (lower div WJCs and WCs, U18s, most women's championships, etc.)

The IIHF and member countries need money. Hosting the WJCs in Canada gets them money. This isn't a mystery, nor should be controversial.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Canadian fanaticism and the echo chamber that is HF has created the impression this tournament is bigger than it is. That would be even more apparent if there was a true rotation where it was held. As is, it's Canada-centric, and that's fine. It gives them an advantage, but not one that can't be overcome. The real question (as alluded to be Steve) is how long the bloom will be on the rose. Indifference and cost may cause it to lose its luster, even in Canada. Shifting demographics and downward economic conditions are already causing a shift in the relationship between Canadians and hockey. That's unlikely to change.

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Leaving Russia out of international competition is completely ridiculous given teams are still drafting Russians and using them in the NHL. I’ve never met a baby boomer in America that wasn’t a Russophobe and Americans/Canadians have plenty to account for themselves.
That's 100% up to Russia deciding whether they want to participate or not.
We can't force them to participate if they don't want to.
Yes. International hockey is so mickey mouse sport it needs everybody so I hope they choose to come back.

In 1987 Finland got its 1st ever (WJC) gold medal because both Canada and the USSR were disqualified. Nobody seems to have problems w/ that.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I read a while back that IIHF has an agreement in place.

Canada gets to host most of the WJC and Europe gets to host most of the WC. I love WJC, but the average fan cares WAY MORE for the Men's World Championship.
Not in North America, world championships isn’t that popular, as playoffs are ongoing,

Reactions: novisor

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Don Cherry became popular for a reason, and it's not because he explained a dump and chase.

Canadian fanaticism and the echo chamber that is HF has created the impression this tournament is bigger than it is

Both are great points!

Totally agree the popularity is fading even in Canada.

Just a well marketed tournament that I do love. However, it really doesn't mean anything and it's the only sport I can think of where entire countries feel the junior tournament is a sign of world dominance. Soccer also has junior tournmanets, so does tennis (eg. Czechs won the Junior Davis Cup and that is great but it doesn't mean we are back or on top of the tennis world).

Reactions: Steve Kournianos

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
As a Swede, play it always in Canada, only downside for us is the timezones, play it in ontario or quebec and we fine ;)
ya, thats a good angle, actually. East coast is the closest to the middle of all of us watching.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Yes. International hockey is so mickey mouse sport it needs everybody so I hope they choose to come back.

In 1987 Finland got its 1st ever (WJC) gold medal because both Canada and the USSR were disqualified. Nobody seems to have problems w/ that.
Even if the Russian government got overhauled tomorrow and the new system and staff was much more friendly to the West, we have to contend with a generation of older folks there who themselves swallowed nationalist propaganda and refuse to deal with outsiders, much like how we got Canadian nationalists.

And because politics inevitably leak into sports, it all becomes on giant pissing contest, with hockey being a sore spot for these two nations in particular.

So... Don't count on it.

Reactions: Voight

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
My prediction is the WJC will lose its luster in Canada once boomers die off on a grand scale, and TSN and Hockey Canada know they have to maximize profits now in preparation for a major revenue drop. Young Canadians aren't into hockey like they used to be, and the COVID/HC scandal certainly didn't help.

Newer generations of Canadians don't seem as obsessed with the WJC as boomers, and someone in their early 20's isn't faced with a Cold War that made rooting for the National Team an extension of the fight against communism, which according to western leadership was everyone's civic duty. Don Cherry became popular for a reason, and it's not because he explained a dump and chase.

Look at the crowds in Halifax last year and the 3500 who went to Sweden, and you see the vast majority are 60-70 year olds. I'm going to guess the average 30-something Canadian can't fathom spending $10K for a cross-continental trip to watch teenagers play in a tournament they can stream on their phone.

I think the cost is a big thing. Do you know 20 year olds that have the money to pay that? 30 year olds? Canada right now is in a horrific economical position. The middle class is getting dissolved. Taxes went up, inflation exploded, interest rates have made it that mortgage payments per month doubled for many, and our national debt has ballooned. At this moment Canadians were just happy to survive getting through Christmas, which was leaner for most as well. So forget about going to Sweden for all of that expense to catch a World Junior tournament. If you can afford your rent in Canada, you are in a good position in 2024. Even myself I have not been to a Junior hockey game in Canada or an NHL game this year. The WJC is a fantastic tournament, but it seemed to almost get too big for its own good. A smaller city hosting it, at least in Canada, just won't do it anymore. We are a far cry from the days when the sound system didn't work in 1982 and the Canadian team sung the national anthem themselves on the ice.

I can't speak for Finns, but I think the 1998 gold medal (a great game vs. Russia that may have had some goaltender interference on the winning goal) is thought of as their first "true" gold medal. But if you remember, at the time there was an outcry that Canada and Russia got disqualified, especially Canada since gold was still on the line for them.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Canadian fanaticism and the echo chamber that is HF has created the impression this tournament is bigger than it is.

I think one reason is because there is no more best vs best hockey. Many Canadian hockey fans have so much emotional investment in this tournament as a result.

Right or wrongly, the World Championships in May barely registers. When Canada wins gold it will be a headline on TSN but that's about it.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This is nonsense because you're comparing unrelated things. Stop trying to sound like a scolding parent. When you expel countries for reasons unrelated to their hockey performance, it becomes an invitational and not a global championship.

Reactions: Voight

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
This is nonsense because you're comparing unrelated things. Stop trying to sound like a scolding parent. When you expel countries for reasons unrelated to their hockey performance, it becomes an invitational and not a global championship.

What if we start nationwide doping program in Finland. And we get banned from all competitions. Is it our fault or should we be able compete w/ others? Like in Lahti 2001 when Finnish dopers were all mass banned from competitions for life? No, you choose to obey with the rules. Stop blaming others.

When Finland won its first ever international ice hockey gold medal in 1987. Both Canada and Russia were banned. Thanks a lot! Countries have been banned and unbanned for a long time. Business as usual. Russia will be back. Tho they can speed up the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad