Canada has "rigged, kidnapped and bought the Wjc"

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
JVM is becoming bigger in Sweden i think , but as big as Olympics or the real World Championship.

One part is that everybody can see most of the games on svt play. WC and Olympics are sometimes behind channels you need to pay extra to see. Haaate that. Way more then i care about what this thread is about.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I think 2-2-3 rhythm would be best for Canadian tournaments, where USA would get tournament in one of the years when there's three years between Canadian hosts.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
As an American, I think this is a garbage report. If it was rigged, how do other countries win the WJ's? Canada's well equipped to support hosting the WJ and have earned the right to do so. In the US, hockey is barely even given respect as a sport tbh. Not like football, basketball or even soccer.

Reactions: Voight and wetcoast

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
If you took a world poll on bad traits, Americans would top most of them, so running down Canadians is pretty sad!
done whining.

Only 14 more tournaments and the Americans have a chance of catching up!

yawns
Five of our titles have occurred since 2010. That’s the same number as Canada in the same time frame. I think we’ve caught up. Next step is to pass you.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
done whining.

Five of our titles have occurred since 2010. That’s the same number as Canada in the same time frame. I think we’ve caught up. Next step is to pass you.
Your grand total of zero wins at the mens level in that same time span since forever ago has us shivering in our boots :sarcasm:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The excuse is that more countries will pull out if they let Russia in.

The Swedes, the Finns and the Czechs at minimum.

I know they've threatened to do so, but IMO when push comes to shove they won't pull out.

They'll realize you're just hurting the kids at that point, especially when it comes to their NHL draft prospects. A lot of NHL scouts don't really spend a lot of time scouting in Europe, so WJC gives them a chance to see kids they wouldn't normally see.

I mean, TSN promoting the hell out of this tournament is the reason why it gained the following it did. The crowd in Halifax last year was nuts. If other countries obsessed over the world juniors the same way Canadians do, they’d host it more.

Read a good article a couple weeks back on the origins of the TSN-WJC mania. Basically when CBC had a stranglehold on NHL rights, TSN was looking for something hockey related they could use to gain traction. After the first couple tournaments (I don't remember if the news coverage around Piestany helped) their promotion worked. Its helped by December 26 being a stat holiday in Canada and allot of people generally having the week between Christmas and New Years off (especially kids).

Reactions: deleted user

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's probably better let Canada have WJC every year. They have the interest watching hockey.
Get rid off bronze medal game. Who wants to play hard for 3rd place anyway?

Finland has more than enough Skodas and other tournaments already.

Good luck with that in this day and age of participation medals.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Imo, Canada has saved this tournament from degradation to "some tournament was played last week".

Look no further than how many Canadians travelled across the pond this year. It's expensive as hell to travel to Europe, and these people did it for a hockey tournament.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Read a good article a couple weeks back on the origins of the TSN-WJC mania. Basically when CBC had a stranglehold on NHL rights, TSN was looking for something hockey related they could use to gain traction. After the first couple tournaments (I don't remember if the news coverage around Piestany helped) their promotion worked. Its helped by December 26 being a stat holiday in Canada and allot of people generally having the week between Christmas and New Years off (especially kids).
They gotta figure out how to get more kids into it these days though, which is an uphill battle with all the data that says kids don't care that much about sports in general. You can look to the crowds when Canada hosts, and aside from the families, all you really see are a bunch of 60+ year olds these days.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They gotta figure out how to get more kids into it these days though, which is an uphill battle with all the data that says kids don't care that much about sports in general. You can look to the crowds when Canada hosts, and aside from the families, all you really see are a bunch of 60+ year olds these days.

This is the exact problem.

Having more entertainment options than ever before is a double edged sword.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I know they've threatened to do so, but IMO when push comes to shove they won't pull out.

They'll realize you're just hurting the kids at that point, especially when it comes to their NHL draft prospects. A lot of NHL scouts don't really spend a lot of time scouting in Europe, so WJC gives them a chance to see kids they wouldn't normally see.
So what if NHL scouts wouldn't see these players? Maybe then they'll stay in Europe, at least for a year or two longer. That wouldn't harm European hockey at all, on the contrary. What would harm it a lot is sponsors pulling out because the average consumer really isn't ready to accept playing together with Russia.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

That means, Piestany started this Canadian obsession with WCH U20? How was it before that tournament?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad