Beauchemin - Barker
McCabe - Staal
Regehr - Burns
Del Zotto - Robidas

Roloson
C. Mason
Harding

In the running:
Brewer, reinprecht, Stillman, Lucic, Daley, Mike Smith, M-A Bergeron, Gorges, Girardi, Prust, Kane, Little, Peverly, McDonald, Horcoff, Commodore, Glencross, Cleary, B.Stuart, Schenn

Missing: Horton, Phaneuf,Lecavalier, Savard, Niedermayer, Ribeiro, Turco, Kariya, Bouwmeester, Iginla, Nash. Getzlaf, Perry, E. Staal, Morrow, Bergeron (I left out Olympic players since I would assume they are ready for a rest)

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I expect the 2010 World Championship Team Canada roster to be similar to 2002 in regards to the caliber of players that go to Europe compared with the ones eligible. There is a significant difference between these two rosters:

2002 Winter Olympics
  • Ed Belfour – Dallas Stars
  • Rob Blake – Colorado Avalanche
  • Eric Brewer – Edmonton Oilers
  • Martin Brodeur – New Jersey Devils
  • Theoren Fleury – New York Rangers
  • Adam Foote – Colorado Avalanche
  • Simon Gagné – Philadelphia Flyers
  • Jarome Iginla – Calgary Flames
  • Curtis Joseph – Toronto Maple Leafs
  • Ed Jovanovski – Vancouver Canucks
  • Paul Kariya – Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
  • Mario Lemieux (C) – Pittsburgh Penguins
  • Eric Lindros – New York Rangers
  • Al MacInnis – St. Louis Blues
  • Scott Niedermayer – New Jersey Devils
  • Joe Nieuwendyk – Dallas Stars
  • Owen Nolan – San Jose Sharks
  • Michael Peca (A) – New York Islanders
  • Chris Pronger – (A) St. Louis Blues
  • Joe Sakic – (A) Colorado Avalanche
  • Brendan Shanahan – Detroit Red Wings
  • Ryan Smyth – Edmonton Oilers
  • Steve Yzerman (A) – Detroit Red Wings

2002 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships
  • Eric Brewer
  • Kyle Calder
  • Dan Cleary
  • Mike Comrie
  • Brad Ference
  • Jean-Sébastien Giguère
  • Dany Heatley
  • Manny Malhotra
  • Richard Matvichuk
  • Andy McDonald
  • Dan McGillis
  • Brenden Morrow
  • James Patrick
  • Jamie Ram
  • Peter Schaefer
  • Brad Schlegel
  • Ryan Smyth (C)
  • Steve Staios
  • Jamie Storr
  • Darryl Sydor
  • Marty Turco
  • Ray Whitney
  • Justin Williams
  • Jamie Wright
  • Tyler Wright

Only 2 Olympic gold medalists went to Sweden that year.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
As usual in an Olympic year, I will expect to see a mix of young guys (Stamkos, Neal, Del Zotto), a few regulars (Robidas, St. Louis), and players who normally would not be asked so they jump at the opportunity to wear a Team Canada jersey (Armstrong, Staois).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
A few things I think will happen...

1) Not many Olympians will go to this. Not because they don't care, but because it has been a very long year for them with the grind of the NHL season, orientation camps, the Olympic tournament itself, and maybe even an early playoff exit for some. I expect a couple to show, however--Bergeron could be one, Rick Nash is a guy who if he doesn't make the playoffs I can see going, and so on.

2) I think Canada will continue to roll with youth. It really worked well last year then they took Stamkos to the WHC, and Doughty turned out beautifully at the Olympics. So I think guys like Neal and Benn in Dallas, perhaps Tavares in NYI, Del Zotto and Staal in New York, etc...could get looks.

3) I think if he's healthy, Cam Ward is the starting goaltender for this team.

4) I think a few of the "Olympic snubs" will want to get back on the radar by going here. Bouwmeester, Regehr, Phaneuf being three noteables, but also the Lightning trio of Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavalier.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Id like to say Luke Schenn, but I dont know if hes earned it.

Id say Tavares is there. I would have my money on Neal, Gagner, and maybe Sutter even being there.

Of Olympians, id say Nash, Staal, Getz and Perry play.

All 4 Tampa guys could be there

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I also wouldn't be surprised at all if SJ got eliminated first round and Heater went to Germany to join the team.

That would be the funniest thing ever. Is that even possible (ie is he even eligible to do that)? From memory he seems to have played at the World Champions pretty often... I don't recall the Sens being out of the playoffs that often. Maybe in the one year they went 4 and out...

Anyone have an idea what the Playoffs schedule is like this year relative to the World Championships? ie will people make it in time even if their team loses in the first round in 7 games, or will it take a sweep or 5-1 to make it to the competition? It would be better if they held the WC strictly after the first round of the playoffs, clearing up 8 teams' worth of potential players.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Being a Leafs fan and with the playoffs a distant dream, I only really have the World Championships to look forward too during playoff time. I don't usually take the Worlds too seriously due to Canada's B-teams usually representing the country because of the NHL playoffs but I do hope for gold this year, to continue the momentum of the olympic win.

Pretending that the season ended today with the teams in their current positions, I've been speculating what players might be available for the 2010 roster in Germany. I've listed possibilities for the teams currently not in the playoffs aswell as the 8th place team in each conference, as I'm sure the teams will be regularly changing positions as the playoff race winds down. Here are some possibilities:

Forwards:

Jamie Benn
Patrice Bergeron
Dan Cleary
Jordan Eberle AKA Mr. Clutch (Rumors)
Ryan Getzlaf
Darren Helm
Jarome Iginla
Evander Kane
Vinny Lecavalier
Millan Lucic
Brenden Morrow
Rick Nash
James Neil
Dustin Penner
Corey Perry
Marc Savard
Eric Staal
Steven Stamkos
Marty St. Louis

Defense:

Jay Bouwmeister
Brent Burns
Scott Neidermayer
Dion Phaneuf
Robyn Regher
Marc Staal
Luke Schenn
Ian White

Goalies:

Chris Mason
Steve Mason
Dwayne Rolosson
Cam Ward

Based on the available players it looks like Canada could have a very strong WC team this year. Who would you guys like to see make the team?

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I would doubt that anyone who played in the Olympics this year will play in the World Championships. We didn't have any Olympians in 2006, and we had very few in 2002. So you can probably scratch Iginla, Bergeron, Nash, Perry, Getzlaf, Morrow and Staal from the list of forwards, and Niedermayer from the defencemen list. You can also probably forget about guys who have struggled with injury, like Savard, Burns and Ward.

Worth noting is that Canada has been in the gold medal game in six of the last eight World Championships. The exceptions: 2002 and 2006, which were Olympic years.

I think you'll see a young team with a lot of guys looking to prove themselves for future tournaments. Guys like Benn, Lucic (despite the injuries), Kane, Stamkos and Schenn. It'll be a good team, but it's going to be very tough for Canada to medal withh a young team and players who will be playing in the World Championships for the first time.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Make a Team Canada

Here is my attempt with players from the teams that are currently out of the playoffs:

Nash-Stamkos-St.Louis
B.Richards-Lecavalier-Iginla
Morrow-Getzlaf-Perry
Neal-E.Staal-Penner
Vermette

Bouwmeester-Robidas
M. Staal-Phaneuf
Regehr-McCabe
Burns

Ward
C. Mason
Turco

HM:
Niedermayer (doubt he would play)
S. Mason
Roloson
Horcoff
R. Bourque
Ribeiro
Weiss
Horton
McDonald
Kariya
Perron
Tavares
Peverley
Stajan
Barker
Jackman
Schenn

Some of them would decline an invite of course, but that's a crazy team! Plus there could be others who are eliminated early in the playoffs.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I highly doubt you'll see Nash or Iginla.

Getzlaf and Perry might go just to try and win the triple crown or whatever the hell you call it, but its a long season and especially Getzlaf might take it off after having a long summer last year with rehab and all.

Lecavalier probably won't go, traditionally he doesn't. But it would be a great way for him to get back on the Team Canada radar, because he has fallen off, but I don't see him going.

For defense I don't see Regehr going, and I hope McCabe doesn't go. The rest should go, and I can't see why they wouldn't, they're all pretty good supporters of Team Canada come April/May.

I'd love to see Peverly and Horton go, though Horton has been blacklisted, I think if he offers to go they'll take him with open arms and erase their past history. Bourque I'd also like to see him there.

Your roster is good, but I'd prefer not to see Turco there, he's just fallen off so hard.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
2002 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships
  • Eric Brewer
  • Kyle Calder
  • Dan Cleary
  • Mike Comrie
  • Brad Ference
  • Jean-Sébastien Giguère
  • Dany Heatley
  • Manny Malhotra
  • Richard Matvichuk
  • Andy McDonald
  • Dan McGillis
  • Brenden Morrow
  • James Patrick
  • Jamie Ram
  • Peter Schaefer
  • Brad Schlegel
  • Ryan Smyth (C)
  • Steve Staios
  • Jamie Storr
  • Darryl Sydor
  • Marty Turco
  • Ray Whitney
  • Justin Williams
  • Jamie Wright
  • Tyler Wright

Only 2 Olympic gold medalists went to Sweden that year.

I see 4 Olympic gold medalists there... :sarcasm:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
It's not that we don't care. For a lot of guys - good hockey players - it might be their only chance to play for their country on the international stage beyond the junior level. There is that thrill of playing for your country.

It's just that, deep down, they don't want to be at the Worlds. They want to be in the Stanley Cup playoffs. If you're playing in the Worlds, it means you either missed the playoffs, or you lost in the first round of the playoffs.

We might get a couple of Olympians to play in the Worlds. It would be different if the Olympics were held overseas this year. Guys just aren't keen on a second (or a third) overseas trip in a year. But because the Olympics were held in Vancouver, we might get a couple Olympians. Ryan Smyth and Eric Brewer played for Canada at the 02 Worlds after winning gold in Salt Lake. Nobody from the Turin disaster played in the 06 Worlds. I'm not banking on getting Morrow, Getzlaf, Perry or Niedermayer. And I'm not banking on getting Souray or Burns - guys who have battled injuries all year.

It's going to be a young team. I think you'll see a lot of first-time guys, maybe even a couple junior-eligible guys, and maybe some guys who make their living overseas.

I don't have high hopes. I think it's worth noting that Canada has been to six of the last eight World Championship finals - a pretty impressive feat considering the priority of our guys. The two exceptions: 2002 and 2006. Olympic years.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Stamkos-Lecavalier-St.Louis
Nash-Getzlaf-Iginla
Morrow-E.Staal-Tavares
Bourque-B.Richards-Eberle

Niedermayer-M.Staal
Robidas-Bouwmeester
Phaneuf-Schenn

Ward
S.Mason

GRIZZ

Aug 24, 2007
Leduc, AB
Your MacTeam Canada!

So with it being announced Craig MacTavish will be the coach for Team Canada at the World Championships its time to start predicting the team!

Nash - Stamkos - Latendresse
Penner - Bozak - Boyes
Sutter - Ott - Downie
Brule - Tavares - Gagner
x Eberle/Hall

Phanuef - Schenn
McCabe - Del Zotto
Staal - Burns
x Russel/Pietranglo

S Mason
C Mason/Giguere
Roloson

Professor Dangles

Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Canada
So with it being announced Craig MacTavish will be the coach for Team Canada at the World Championships its time to start predicting the team!

Nash - Stamkos - Latendresse
Penner - Bozak - Boyes
Sutter - Ott - Downie
Brule - Tavares - Gagner
x Eberle/Hall

Phanuef - Schenn
McCabe - Del Zotto
Staal - Burns
x Russel/Pietranglo

S Mason
C Mason/Giguere
Roloson

I agree with this except Schenn should not be on the first pairing IMO and what about Lecavalier, St. Louis, Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan

... Heatley :sarcasm:

Hermit Wizard Eater

Nov 29, 2009
St Louis - Stamkos - Downie
Nash - Eric Staal - Horton
Rene Bourque - Richards - Iginla
Brunette - Lecavalier - Latendresse
Latendresse - Getzlaf - Perry

Neal could be swapped with a few guys, Vermette could be swapped as a good 3rd or 4th liner, and Weiss might find a spot.

Niedermayer - Colaicovo
Bouwmeester - Regehr
Schenn - Robidas

(Giordano if Niedermayer doesn't go, or can be swapped with another. Foster could also go as a PP guy)

Roloson
Chris Mason

Roloson
Chris Mason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad