WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Hockey Canada just hired brad McKesson to replace Ryan Jankowski
I never liked Ryan and wondering if this is the same crap

Please for those who know of brad

Thanks

It's Brad McEwen
I'll cut him a break for the 1st few tournaments, but I'm not expecting much of a change. His work with the Flames or in the WHL doesn't really give me much confidence that there'll be changes in the way Hockey Canada evaluates and selects U18-U20 teams.

The bigger problem has more to do with Scott Salmond, the bureaucrat who thinks he's a hockey guy and sticks his nose into player selection. As long as he continues in that role, we'll have problems. Our problems at this tournament can be traced back to when Al Murray was hired by Stevie Y to work in Tampa and Salmond was promoted into his current position at that time.

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I would be happy with McLeod playing a bottom line role in the Olympics rather than the WJC. As a returning player McLeod should be given the benefit of the doubt and be used or at least tried in bigger situations with this team. He wasn't on the PP, he wasn't on the ice late, he wasn't out there last minute to hold the lead and he wasn't used till the last shift in overtime. This is the center who single handedly carried sauga to the OHL finals. It's clear he is going to be burried in the bottom 6 when he is probably the most explosive center this team has.
Well, let's be honest McLeod is a high risk player and can make big mistakes at this level. He tries to dipsy doodle around opponents a little too much and that's probably the only negative I have with him. Steel should be higher on the depth chart than McLeod IMO. He'll be a top 6 C on this team.

Posted this in the other thread but didn't get a reply, can you give me a comparison for what type of playing Girard is? Does he compare to Ryan Ellis?
Girard isn't a sturdy, physical defenceman like Ryan Ellis. He moves around the ice a lot more than Ellis and can take it end to end. Has a lot of skill and control with the puck like a Brian Campbell type of player.

It's Brad McEwen
I'll cut him a break for the 1st few tournaments, but I'm not expecting much of a change. His work with the Flames or in the WHL doesn't really give me much confidence that there'll be changes in the way Hockey Canada evaluates and selects U18-U20 teams.

The bigger problem has more to do with Scott Salmond, the bureaucrat who thinks he's a hockey guy and sticks his nose into player selection. As long as he continues in that role, we'll have problems. Our problems at this tournament can be traced back to when Al Murray was hired by Stevie Y to work in Tampa and Salmond was promoted into his current position at that time.
I like Brad McEwen's track record with the Tigers. Drafted a lot of good players in Shinkaruk, Etem, Vey, Pitlick, Shaw, Quenneville. They aren't solid NHL players yet, but he got a couple long playoff runs with the Tigers. Even with the Broncos, a few years before the Tigers, those were good teams as well.

Can't really judge him too much with his time with the Flames, but I think the Flames are a smart organization with a good GM and if they believe McEwan is a good hire, then I think it's fair to believe them. Assuming he was scouting over the WHL, then I think he did alright, Flames drafted Dube, Phillips from there and I'd those are good picks.

I don't think he's the best hire, but he's better than Janokowski IMO and something needed to be changed. Hopefully we see some better results this year.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
So, what do we think about our team's first get together? My first impressions were we got a lot of offence on the back-end, but do we have enough defence? At least 2 of the goals against the Americans were caused my d-men getting beat 1 on 1, Mete and Stanley got danced twice. I know it's "summer hockey" but these kids are probably on the ice every other day at least.

Saw some positives though, Mahura better be on the team. He is a solid player and has been on Canada's radar despite being a 3rd rounder. Played on the Hlinka team for his age group. Stanley and Foote make it too IMO, need some big defensive guys on this team. Looks like we found our top line as well, Steel-Kyrou with either Raddysh or Dubois. It's too bad Dubois is playing like a plug again, tries to be a mean player but just takes weak penalties. Makes poor plays offensively, his play changed, I don't know what has got in his head but his game has changed since his draft year.

Here's what I'm expecting so far unless things change:

Raddysh - Steel - Kyrou
Dubois - McLeod - Ang
Dube - Howden - Thomas
Rasmussen - Pu - Vilardi
Gadjovich

Stanley - Makar
Mahura - Fabbro
Clague - Foote
Cholowski

Hart
Dipietro

That's what I'm looking at. Don't just give a spot to Bean because he's a high first rounder, he can hardly play even strength at the WHL level, he will get burned at the WJC just like last season. Makar will take his spot on the PP unit which leaves him redundant. I hope a '00 gets in this line-up like a Luka Burzan or Joe Veleno could use some more skill.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
So, what do we think about our team's first get together? My first impressions were we got a lot of offence on the back-end, but do we have enough defence? At least 2 of the goals against the Americans were caused my d-men getting beat 1 on 1, Mete and Stanley got danced twice. I know it's "summer hockey" but these kids are probably on the ice every other day at least.

Saw some positives though, Mahura better be on the team. He is a solid player and has been on Canada's radar despite being a 3rd rounder. Played on the Hlinka team for his age group. Stanley and Foote make it too IMO, need some big defensive guys on this team. Looks like we found our top line as well, Steel-Kyrou with either Raddysh or Dubois. It's too bad Dubois is playing like a plug again, tries to be a mean player but just takes weak penalties. Makes poor plays offensively, his play changed, I don't know what has got in his head but his game has changed since his draft year.

Here's what I'm expecting so far unless things change:

Raddysh - Steel - Kyrou
Dubois - McLeod - Ang
Dube - Howden - Thomas
Rasmussen - Pu - Vilardi
Gadjovich

Stanley - Makar
Mahura - Fabbro
Clague - Foote
Cholowski

Hart
Dipietro

That's what I'm looking at. Don't just give a spot to Bean because he's a high first rounder, he can hardly play even strength at the WHL level, he will get burned at the WJC just like last season. Makar will take his spot on the PP unit which leaves him redundant. I hope a '00 gets in this line-up like a Luka Burzan or Joe Veleno could use some more skill.

Yes to Bean getting cut. No to Stanley. He's a project and Canada hasn't had an effective lumbering defenceman in a nearly a decade. Too early to make proclamations of who will be on the first line or anything like that.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Yes to Bean getting cut. No to Stanley. He's a project and Canada hasn't had an effective lumbering defenceman in a nearly a decade. Too early to make proclamations of who will be on the first line or anything like that.

Didn't catch any of this summer camp, busy moving...

but I'm still 50/50 on Stanley. certainly not as a top pairing D-man. more so a 3rd. pairing D man. I'll give him 20 games into the new season and November Summit Series before final decision on him. but his roster spot is tenuous at best.

but ya to Bean being gone. that would be a wise decision. I loved his game as a 17 year old. it's been downhill ever since.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

N82fLQ.jpg

Pretty good projection

He has Girard and Bean making it over Stanley and Cholowski

Glass, Smith, Suzuki over Pu, Ang, Gadjovich

Last edited:

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I'm assuming Dubois, Patrick, Chychrun and Jost are in the NHL

Rasmussen-Steel-Raddysh
Tippett-Glass-Vilardi
Comtois-Mcleod-Kyrou
Suzuki-Howden-Thomas
Kaspick

Girard-Foote
Clague-Makar
Bean-Fabbro
Mahura

DiPietro
Hart
Skinner

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Bean pencilled in, which is no surprise as a return guy.

But the guy really was awful last year, i think one of the most prone giveaway guys I have ever seen on our team and I have been watching a long time.

They better keep a close eye on his play this season and if he hasn't shored up his defensive game they are complete dummies to take him.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
If you are out there at the end of the end trying to hold a lead or tie it up you have a leg up over other players because clearly the coach trusts you.

This is true for Gadjovich and Pu

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Pronman's projection

No idea why he has Bensen who just went through foot surgery after having sports hernia surgery in april.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Happy with how Wells and DiPietro are competing for the 2nd goalie spot on the team so far. Wells did pretty good too in these full squad games considering he came in cold each of the two games he played. I really do hope HC is keeping an open eye out for other goalies that might step up during the season to fight for a spot. I really think they should be keeping an eye on Tyler Wall who was the starter with UMass-Lowell last season. The Americans will be taking their two best goalies, so should we.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Stanley's main contribution is PK play so I wouldn't mind him as the #7D or a 3rd pairing guy. I also might be a biased Jets fan thinking this even after the horrible usa game he had. He was solid vs Swedes tho

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Personally, I like Stanley's play. I think he moves around well enough in his own zone and can take away a lot of space especially in the corners. He's so much stronger than everyone out there, he wins all the puck battles and even though he's not the best skater, he doesn't get burned 1 on 1 most of the time. We'll have to see more from him, but I think he's close to making the team.

I don't think it's too early to see who will be our top players. Steel and Kyrou were clearly the top 2 forwards of this group in this tournament and it wasn't close. Nobody showed anything close to the level of talent these 2 showed. We just need more guys like this, skill, speed, and hockey sense.

Don't know why Smith would make it over Gadjovich or Pu. We need skill and if you want grit/size, Gadjovich is the way to go, brings more to the table. I don't know how I feel about Howden, he's a good player but kind of lacks the skill to be a offensive leader on this team. Maybe stick him on a big line like they did in 2015 with Crouse/Gauthier/Ritchie.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Why wasn't Comtois at the WJSS ?

I didn't see any reason for him to be there. He's a decent to good prospect, but he's a '99 born player.

He played at the U18 tournament this past spring where he didn't particularly standout. So, if you can't be a standout in your age group, then you don't have much of a case to make the move up to u20.
If he's leading the Q in scoring by December, then he should get an invite to the December camp...failing that, look for him the following year for the Vancouver/Victoria 2019.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Pronman's projection

No idea why he has Bensen who just went through foot surgery after having sports hernia surgery in april.

That looks like a goo projection. I wouldn't be surprised if he was only off by 3 players or so.

Personally, I like Stanley's play. I think he moves around well enough in his own zone and can take away a lot of space especially in the corners. He's so much stronger than everyone out there, he wins all the puck battles and even though he's not the best skater, he doesn't get burned 1 on 1 most of the time. We'll have to see more from him, but I think he's close to making the team.

I don't think it's too early to see who will be our top players. Steel and Kyrou were clearly the top 2 forwards of this group in this tournament and it wasn't close. Nobody showed anything close to the level of talent these 2 showed. We just need more guys like this, skill, speed, and hockey sense.

I will attempt to be optimistic about Stanley, but I don't like anything I've seen from him. Big, huge defencemen have a place but it usually isn't international hockey. Stanley is an NHL project, and maybe even a good one, but Canada will need the best defencemen for interntional hockey in December 2017, not the best NHL defencemen in 2025. We will see.

As for Steel and Kyrou I like them both, and I imagine that if Steel is available he is a lock. The issue is that summer chemistry and performances rarely ever carry over to the December camp, better yet the actual tournament. Hockey Canada clearly puts more stock in regular season play, pedigree, the December camp and possibly even the super series than the summer events. No line combinations in the actual tournament are going to be decided based on the summer games, or if they are it will be for basically the first time ever.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pronman's projection

Vs Button
On D he has Mete over Mahura.

At F he has Benson and Tippett over Smith and Rasmussen.

At G he has Wells over Dipietro for #2, if that's his ranking.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Vs Button
On D he has Mete over Mahura.

At F he has Benson and Tippett over Smith and Rasmussen.

At G he has Wells over Dipietro for #2, if that's his ranking.

Steel-Kyrou- makar are outstanding
Stanley is scary
What to do about Dubois?
if he can stay out of the box- take him

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Steel-Kyrou- makar are outstanding
Stanley is scary
What to do about Dubois?
if he can stay out of the box- take him

I was high on PLD in his draft year but have not been impressed with my viewings of him since. I think he deserves to be on the team but I would not give him a center stage role.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I was high on PLD in his draft year but have not been impressed with my viewings of him since. I think he deserves to be on the team but I would not give him a center stage role.

he will be there. I would like to think he can be a winger on second line and be used on one of the PP UNITS but he reminds me of Virtanen and that scares me.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Pronman's projection

That is one hell of a small defence core. We are going to get pushed around. Whether you want to admit it or not we will be pushed around just like we did last year by the USA. They took out our best defenceman.

I remember about 6 years ago we built a team of fast big giants to take care of the USA. Well, we took care of them. But our goalie melted down against the Russians in the gold medal game. It was the goalie we lost

We need some big giants to take care of our own guys

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia

I wonder what happened to him... I saw all of PLD's game in his draft year and he was a dominating force all over the ice.

Has to be some kind of mental thing but at this point who knows?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
he will be there. I would like to think he can be a winger on second line and be used on one of the PP UNITS but he reminds me of Virtanen and that scares me.

Dubois showed a very versatile game as a 17 year old. He wasn't getting by on physical skills like Virtanen was. Don't know what went down with him this past season.

That is one hell of a small defence core. We are going to get pushed around. Whether you want to admit it or not we will be pushed around just like we did last year by the USA. They took out our best defenceman.

I remember about 6 years ago we built a team of fast big giants to take care of the USA. Well, we took care of them. But our goalie melted down against the Russians in the gold medal game. It was the goalie we lost

We need some big giants to take care of our own guys

The biggest problem with Canada's defence last year was exiting the zone simply and avoiding turnovers. They had trouble with USA's size smoewhat in the preliminary round but not in the gold medal game. The defencemen that fit the profile you are describing typically end up being Canada's worst in recent years.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
The biggest problem with Canada's defence last year was exiting the zone simply and avoiding turnovers. They had trouble with USA's size smoewhat in the preliminary round but not in the gold medal game. The defencemen that fit the profile you are describing typically end up being Canada's worst in recent years.

I'm with Jack here. We need a defense that can transition the puck up the ice with very few issues. If we're going to win games we need to get the puck up to our forwards and not allow opposing teams scoring chances to start at our own blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad