WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I cant recall anything from your posts that tipped me off about what your fave team is, at least i cannot recall any.

The Nordiques?.................ugh.

I want them back in the league again just so I can hate them like I used to.

I was a rebellious teenager + it maintained the rivalry I had with my circle of friends, quite a few were Habs fans. and I proudly wore the fleur de lis to our street hockey games and broke more than a few ankles with some Dale Hunter antics.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I was a rebellious teenager + it maintained the rivalry I had with my circle of friends, quite a few were Habs fans. and I proudly wore the fleur de lis to our street hockey games and broke more than a few ankles with some Dale Hunter antics.

LOL.

We would have locked horns badly.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
2. Corey Hirsch tweeted last week that Sean Burke will soon be announced as GM of Team Canada’s men’s hockey entry for the 2018 Winter Olympics. One of the top contenders for the coaching job  if not the number one choice  is Willie Desjardins.
wut.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
That's the realization I came to a while ago. No one looks particularly strong, and at least Canada will have solid depth and most likely a legitimate goaltender.

Last year I thought the team was pretty bad on paper, but they really meshed and had a well executed game.

Coaching is by far the most factor in this tournament, IMO

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Last year I thought the team was pretty bad on paper, but they really meshed and had a well executed game.

Coaching is by far the most factor in this tournament, IMO

I generally agree, though I thought that the complaints about talent were overstated last year. Ducharme did well last year (whoever coached the zone clearances for the defence should never return though) and I expect that he will do well this year. This team should have solid coaching, goaltending and is playing on North American ice. I am optimistic for now. Biggest thing is to see what players are available. The availability of Steel for instance is huge.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dubois-Jost-Raddysh
Vilardi-Patrick-Steel
Dube-Glass-Tippett
Thomas-McLeod-Pu
Suzuki

Clague-Fabbro
Bean-Foote
Stanley-Makar
Girard

Hart
DiPietro
Wells

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
That very well may be true, but he'd be better served playing another year in junior.

I don't think so... he has nothing to prove there. He's NHL ready player with great size and talented, skilled enough to play 'big' minutes and be significant contributor to the team. He will be also 19 in September.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I don't think so... he has nothing to prove there. He's NHL ready player with great size and talented, skilled enough to play 'big' minutes and be significant contributor to the team. He will be also 19 in September.

so all 19 year olds get a free pass to the pros? when did that happen?

I'll be glad to be wrong if he is indeed ready for prime NHL minutes in September/October, but I don't think he is...

we'll revisit this 15-20 games into the new season. I won't forget.

BTW. this whole 'he has nothing to prove there' is such a lame argument. 19 year old Draisaitl had nothing left to prove in junior after his 105 pt. season as an 18 year old. How did he do as a 19 year in the pros? right...they had to send him back after 37 games. Patrick and Draisaitl are probably decent comparables.

I hope it all works out for Patrick and he's a ROY candidate and then heads off to Denmark for the WHC in May.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I see a lot of Foote predictions. Is he pretty much a given at this point?

I don't think that he is a lock, but he is a good bet. Seems like a good defenceman, good size (which is not a strength for Canada's group of defencemen) and he's American, so they probably want to lock him up for Canada going forward.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think that he is a lock, but he is a good bet. Seems like a good defenceman, good size (which is not a strength for Canada's group of defencemen) and he's American, so they probably want to lock him up for Canada going forward.

I do not think Foote being American, is anything to do with it. Two years ago- Sean Day and Logan Brown wanted to play for Canada, but Hockey Canada did not care that they were dual citizens, and let them both go for the Ivan Hlinka team.

They are both now with USA Hockey. Hockey Canada also cut Chychrun for the WJC. I do not think Hockey Canada cares about locking guys up. I think USA Hockey does care about that little more. That is why they heavily targeted Logan Brown after Canada cut him, and now he is locked with USA.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Dubois-Jost-Raddysh
Vilardi-Patrick-Steel
Dube-Glass-Tippett
Thomas-McLeod-Pu
Suzuki

Clague-Fabbro
Bean-Foote
Stanley-Makar
Girard

Hart
DiPietro
Wells[/QUOTE]

I see Dubois, Jost and Patrick in the NHL. I don't see Pu quite at that level.

I don't think Stanley is there yet just based on his physical development.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I do not think Foote being American, is anything to do with it. Two years ago- Sean Day and Logan Brown wanted to play for Canada, but Hockey Canada did not care that they were dual citizens, and let them both go for the Ivan Hlinka team.

They are both now with USA Hockey. Hockey Canada also cut Chychrun for the WJC. I do not think Hockey Canada cares about locking guys up. I think USA Hockey does care about that little more. That is why they heavily targeted Logan Brown after Canada cut him, and now he is locked with USA.

All fair points. I would have been more interested to see if Hockey Canada would have cut either of them from the U18 tournament, which actually locks players in. I do remember thinking that Oleksiak making the WJC team was influenced by his dual nationality. Hockey Canada does stick to its guns with duals many times though, which is good. I am certainly glad that Day and Brown went with USA. It should happen more often in similar cases.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

As Jack pointed out, dual citizenship and getting cut from the Hlinka tournament doesn't even enter into the equation when it comes to the roster and 'locking players in' as it is not an IIHF tournament. It does expose the players and tells us a lot about their motivation and commitment levels. Never really anticipated Day or Brown becoming NT players anyway. So, no loss. wish the players well though.

For every other iihf tournament dual citizenship is a factor that Hockey Canada people mull over when it comes to making roster decisions, although currently it is not the factor it once was under the previous HC POE management group... 2013 and the former chief POE scout who was fired in 2013 for a string of junior failures. So glad I can barely even remember his name now, Kevin something or other...went on to pursue his NHL pro scouting career in Buffalo. I wonder if he is still there or have they clued in to his level of incompetence yet?

Anyway, the point is, dual citizenship is talked about, but on the list of Hockey Canada priorities and roster selection, it's not all that important these days. The problem for us since Kevin something or other got fired... Jankowski is not proving himself to be any better than Kevin. Jankowski's incompetence in roster selection is being aided by Salmond and his unique brand of incompetence.

Last edited:

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
2018 Canada WJC Roster

Goalies- Carter Hart, Michael DiPierto

Defense- Jake Bean, Kale Clague, Dante Fabbro, Samuel Girard, Cale Makar, Victor Mete, Cal Foote

Forwards- Dillon Dube, Cody Glass, Brett Howden, Tyson Jost, Jordan Kyrou, Adam Mascherin, Michael McLeod, Taylor Raddysh, Sam Steel, Nick Suzuki, Owen Tippett, Gabe Vilardi, Michael Rasmussen

My stab at the final roster, I won't pretend to be smart enough to guess the line combinations. I'd be very surprised if Dubois and Patrick aren't in the NHL. Do people think there's a chance Cody Glass may stick with Vegas?

Edit- I do think Rasmussen will force his way on. So just for this that pushed Tyler Benson off

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

He had a shorter season due to injuries and just underwent groin surgery. No lock for the NHL.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
As Jack pointed out, dual citizenship and getting cut from the Hlinka tournament doesn't even enter into the equation when it comes to the roster and 'locking players in' as it is not an IIHF tournament. It does expose the players and tells us a lot about their motivation and commitment levels. Never really anticipated Day or Brown becoming NT players anyway. So, no loss. wish the players well though.

For every other iihf tournament dual citizenship is a factor that Hockey Canada people mull over when it comes to making roster decisions, although currently it is not the factor it once was under the previous HC POE management group... 2013 and the former chief POE scout who was fired in 2013 for a string of junior failures. So glad I can barely even remember his name now, Kevin something or other...went on to pursue his NHL pro scouting career in Buffalo. I wonder if he is still there or have they clued in to his level of incompetence yet?

Anyway, the point is, dual citizenship is talked about, but on the list of Hockey Canada priorities and roster selection, it's not all that important these days. The problem for us since Kevin something or other got fired... Jankowski is not proving himself to be any better than Kevin. Jankowski's incompetence in roster selection is being aided by Salmond and his unique brand of incompetence.
Sabres let Prendergast go after the 2017 Draft, but then went to that HC POE well again and announced a Jankowski hire today, so congrats, you're rid of him too.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Just checked the schedule for the 2018 tournament because I remembered the Canada/USA Dec 29th outdoors game caused them to switch up the pools from the normal way they do them and was curious which switch was made(they flipped 2nd Canada with 4th Sweden in making the pools to force CAN/USA into the same pool diverting from the usual 1/4/5/8/9 and 2/3/6/7/promoted groups).

Anyway I noticed that they don't have Canada scheduled for a New Years Eve game. Found that very odd. USA organizers so they make the schedule and obviously they wanted the outdoor game on the 29th but figured they'd still go USA/FIN and CAN/SVK on the 31st as the expected 1-4 usually play on that day and give the team that's expected to finish 5th in the pool the 4 games in 5 days from the 26th to the 30th schedule. Can't remember the last time Canada had New Years Eve off, finishing their round robin on the 30th against Denmark. It's gonna feel a tad weird. Canada could in theory have first placed locked up after the 29th outdoor game against the USA if they're 3-0 and Denmark haven't got 2 wins.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Sabres let Prendergast go after the 2017 Draft, but then went to that HC POE well again and announced a Jankowski hire today, so congrats, you're rid of him too.

well, that's good news for HC POE. now if we can only ditch Salmond all would be rosy.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Odds on Bowers making it in a bottom-six role?

Pretty low. Very few guys have gone from the USHL to playing for Canada in less than a year. The only one I can think of is Schwartz, and he was a higher draft pick who had stronger numbers in that league and who started his NCAA career off very strong. Since Bowers wasn't invited to the summer camp he's going to need to have a very strong start to his NCAA season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00