WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
That is one hell of a small defence core. We are going to get pushed around. Whether you want to admit it or not we will be pushed around just like we did last year by the USA. They took out our best defenceman.

I remember about 6 years ago we built a team of fast big giants to take care of the USA. Well, we took care of them. But our goalie melted down against the Russians in the gold medal game. It was the goalie we lost

We need some big giants to take care of our own guys

If you think a small defense can not win take a look at last years USA team.

Last edited by a moderator:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm with Jack here. We need a defense that can transition the puck up the ice with very few issues. If we're going to win games we need to get the puck up to our forwards and not allow opposing teams scoring chances to start at our own blueline.

Agreed. I'm not so worried about the defenses ability to move the puck but I am concerned with the overall defensive playoff the unit and it's ability to retrieve pucks.

The Right side looks good with Makar, Foote and Can do but I'm concerned with the left sides ability to defend.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
So, what do we think about our team's first get together? My first impressions were we got a lot of offence on the back-end, but do we have enough defence? At least 2 of the goals against the Americans were caused my d-men getting beat 1 on 1, Mete and Stanley got danced twice. I know it's "summer hockey" but these kids are probably on the ice every other day at least.

Saw some positives though, Mahura better be on the team. He is a solid player and has been on Canada's radar despite being a 3rd rounder. Played on the Hlinka team for his age group. Stanley and Foote make it too IMO, need some big defensive guys on this team. Looks like we found our top line as well, Steel-Kyrou with either Raddysh or Dubois. It's too bad Dubois is playing like a plug again, tries to be a mean player but just takes weak penalties. Makes poor plays offensively, his play changed, I don't know what has got in his head but his game has changed since his draft year.

Here's what I'm expecting so far unless things change:

Raddysh - Steel - Kyrou
Dubois - McLeod - Ang
Dube - Howden - Thomas
Rasmussen - Pu - Vilardi
Gadjovich

Stanley - Makar
Mahura - Fabbro
Clague - Foote
Cholowski

Hart
Dipietro

That's what I'm looking at. Don't just give a spot to Bean because he's a high first rounder, he can hardly play even strength at the WHL level, he will get burned at the WJC just like last season. Makar will take his spot on the PP unit which leaves him redundant. I hope a '00 gets in this line-up like a Luka Burzan or Joe Veleno could use some more skill.

Just off of the top of my head I'd say you're missing Tippett and Suzuki.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Just off of the top of my head I'd say you're missing Tippett and Suzuki.
I thought about it again and we will probably need Tippett's scoring ability, but Suzuki hasn't really impressed me. I don't know if he has the skating and grit for a 4th line role and not sure if he is ready for a top 9 role on a WJC team yet.

And Glass.
Glass hasn't impressed me internationally so far, he has to look good in the SSS to get an invite to December camp IMO. Can't just give it to him because of WHL stats and draft position.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Glass hasn't impressed me internationally so far, he has to look good in the SSS to get an invite to December camp IMO. Can't just give it to him because of WHL stats and draft position.

What you say has merit, but with a really high draft position a player really needs to play his way out of an invitation.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If Tyson Jost is playing in the AHL instead of NHL (unlikely but possiblie) he would be a terrific add and likely captain.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If Tyson Jost is playing in the AHL instead of NHL (unlikely but possiblie) he would be a terrific add and likely captain.

Jost would be a very nice addition but I'm not holding out much hope. Not sure that playing on Colorado is for the best him (or any other young player right now) but hopefully it works out well for him. I am more curious to see what happens with Steel, as Canada could really use at least one high end offensive centre.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
With Travis Zajac out for 4-6 months its likely McLeod is with NJ this year so I doubt he plays for Canada.

I wouldn't say that's a given. It won't be pretty, but the Devils have other center options in house aside from McLeod. Before he got hurt, it might have been Quenneville/Blandisi/McLeod competing for one spot. Now, two might make it. Quenneville/Blandisi have some AHL seasoning, so they might have the inside track.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
What you say has merit, but with a really high draft position a player really needs to play his way out of an invitation.
I expected more out of Glass in the summer games, we'll see what goes on during the season. I'm sure he has a good season in Portland, but we already know he can play well in his respective league. I want to see if he can be an impact player at the international level, I didn't see it at the U17s, U20 summer games. He was alright in 3 games at the U18s, but he really needs to be good at the Super Series to get an invite because we aren't lacking in talent that we can just hand him a spot and hope he will just click at the WJC.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
On the small ice I expect Rasmussen and Vilardi to both be there. Big bodies that can give versatility at center or wing, a lot of smaller European teams will have trouble handling guys like them down low. I do feel like a lot of this years team is up to who has a good start to the year however

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
How many guys will Canada lose to the NHL this year? USA will lose Keller but that might be all.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
How many guys will Canada lose to the NHL this year? USA will lose Keller but that might be all.

Hard to say. Chychrun missed last year, so he can almost certainly be counted out. Patrick seems very likely to make Philadelphia. Columbus fans seem to be expecting that Dubois will make their lineup. McLeod is getting a look in New Jersey, especially with Zajac out, but he doesn't seem close to a lock. Jost seems like a tricky situation, as I think he is either in the NHL or the AHL this year. If Duchene finally gets traded that probably helps Jost stay in the NHL. Glass will apparently get a look in the NHL but most expect him to be sent back down. Tippett is still with Florida but will probably be sent down from what I have seen. I'm sure that I've missed a few players.

If I had to guess, Canada will miss out on Chychrun, Patrick, Dubois and Jost. As long as Canada can get at least one of Steel/Patrick/Jost I will be satisfied.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Hard to say. Chychrun missed last year, so he can almost certainly be counted out. Patrick seems very likely to make Philadelphia. Columbus fans seem to be expecting that Dubois will make their lineup. McLeod is getting a look in New Jersey, especially with Zajac out, but he doesn't seem close to a lock. Jost seems like a tricky situation, as I think he is either in the NHL or the AHL this year. If Duchene finally gets traded that probably helps Jost stay in the NHL. Glass will apparently get a look in the NHL but most expect him to be sent back down. Tippett is still with Florida but will probably be sent down from what I have seen. I'm sure that I've missed a few players.

If I had to guess, Canada will miss out on Chychrun, Patrick, Dubois and Jost. As long as Canada can get at least one of Steel/Patrick/Jost I will be satisfied.

Thx. Much appreciated

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I thought it was a time for a bump since NHL training camps are drawing to a close and jrs being dispatched back to clubs and getting in some games.

from my projected roster from way way back...I've got 6 guys still trying to crack NHL rosters.

but I believe we still have 13 jr. eligible players still at camp....

N PATRICK P.L. DUBOIS J CHYCHRUN T JOST M MCLEOD J KYROU G VILARDI M RASMUSSEN O TIPPETT S GIRARD J BEAN V METE T BENSON

The 4 highlighted will not be available come Christmas time, maybe Jost. maybe, but I'm not counting on it. It would be a bonus if we land Jost for the Christmas festivities. McLeod is injured as is Vilardi. Vilardi no surprise. Haven't checked in on Benson yet...but he'll be injured guaranteed. But I've never been a Benson fan ever...so...there's that.

I hope Tippett and Rasmussen will be available. and out of the 3 d-men, I like Mete or Girard at this point. I'm in the just say no to Bean camp.

oh, and I'll be boycotting the outdoor Canada-USA game. It will be the 1st Canada game at the WJHC in 30 years I will on purpose avoid watching.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I thought it was a time for a bump since NHL training camps are drawing to a close and jrs being dispatched back to clubs and getting in some games.

from my projected roster from way way back...I've got 6 guys still trying to crack NHL rosters.

but I believe we still have 13 jr. eligible players still at camp....

N PATRICK P.L. DUBOIS J CHYCHRUN T JOST M MCLEOD J KYROU G VILARDI M RASMUSSEN O TIPPETT S GIRARD J BEAN V METE T BENSON

The 4 highlighted will not be available come Christmas time, maybe Jost. maybe, but I'm not counting on it. It would be a bonus if we land Jost for the Christmas festivities. McLeod is injured as is Vilardi. Vilardi no surprise. Haven't checked in on Benson yet...but he'll be injured guaranteed. But I've never been a Benson fan ever...so...there's that.

I hope Tippett and Rasmussen will be available. and out of the 3 d-men, I like Mete or Girard at this point. I'm in the just say no to Bean camp.

oh, and I'll be boycotting the outdoor Canada-USA game. It will be the 1st Canada game at the WJHC in 30 years I will on purpose avoid watching.

Why are you boycotting the outdoor game? It's a cash grab, but that isn't new to this tournament.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Why are you boycotting the outdoor game? It's a cash grab, but that isn't new to this tournament.

outdoor games bore me to no end. A regular season NHL game on New Year's day..sure. I won't watch it, but 1 game a year on that particular day is fine. I don't think they should be held in short 7 game tournaments. and yes, it's a gimmick and money grab. And you know how I feel about gimmicky money grabs. but if all these extra money revenue streams finally start trickling down to kids and halts the soaring costs for kids playing the game...I'm onboard. but we all know how the bureaucrats will spread that cash around.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
outdoor games bore me to no end. A regular season NHL game on New Year's day..sure. I won't watch it, but 1 game a year on that particular day is fine. I don't think they should be held in short 7 game tournaments. and yes, it's a gimmick and money grab. And you know how I feel about gimmicky money grabs. but if all these extra money revenue streams finally start trickling down to kids and halts the soaring costs for kids playing the game...I'm onboard. but we all know how the bureaucrats will spread that cash around.

I'm not a fan of the outdoor games, but I'm not going to avoid watching because of it. I don't mind Hockey Canada getting the extra money either. I do find it weird though that the IIHF just changed around the groups to accommodate the $$$ that the outdoor game with bring. Makes the seeding system seem pretty irrelevant outside of the relegation teams.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Hart
Dipietro

Goal tending is fairly cut and dry, both deserve to go but I still wish they brought Wall, Wells, Skinner for some competition. I still think it all goes back 2013 when Subban was supposed to the savior of Canadian goaltending and he was at best the 3rd best goalie at camp and the goalie they mostly just brought in to fill a spot was the best in camp.

Mete Makar
Girard Fabbro
Clague Foote
Bean

I really like our defense I think we should have a good combination of speed and offence, and size and defense. Even if Mete and Girard stick in the NHL we should be able to easily replace them with Cholowski and Mahura

Raddysh Steel Kyrou
Vilardi Glass Suzuki
Howden Macleod Dube
Benson Rasmussen Lind
Tippit

I really like our offense I think the top three lines should be pretty interchangeable all have offense and energy. The fourth line should have some grit and size but still has lots of skill.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm not a fan of the outdoor games, but I'm not going to avoid watching because of it. I don't mind Hockey Canada getting the extra money either. I do find it weird though that the IIHF just changed around the groups to accommodate the $$$ that the outdoor game with bring. Makes the seeding system seem pretty irrelevant outside of the relegation teams.

Has HC announced plans for their own outdoor event in Van/Victoria 2019? I bet it's coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad