WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Has he ever been on Hockey Canada's radar? I don't think he's ever participated in U17 or U18. He wasn't even on the summer camp roster for the Hlinka tournament. the one where they bring in practically everybody.

I don't know the player. I've never once seen him play, so who knows. I certainly would like if Hockey Canada cast a wide net and scoop up some NCAA talent. We sure could have used Parayko in Ufa, Russia in 2013. Hockey Canada has ignored a lot of players that opted NCAA over CHL to its own detriment on more than one occasion.

I'm not holding my breath for the bureaucrats at Hockey Canada to change their tactics anytime soon.
You're right. He played at the Junior A tournament last year with Fabbro and Jost though. Only time he played for Canada I believe.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
You're right. He played at the Junior A tournament last year with Fabbro and Jost though. Only time he played for Canada I believe.

I didn't notice in his stat sheet that he did that...but that's good. He's not a complete unknown to the Hockey Canada peeps. Perhaps HC will dispatch a few people to see him play in the fall... but maybe his WJAC experience and draft pedigree is enough to get him an invite to the August camp. It certainly wouldn't hurt to turn over every rock.

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
This is the next tournament coming up other than the Hlinka. What are we looking at next year? It's obviously weaker than previous years, but that is basically the same thing for every other country, so it kind of cancels out. Steel and McLeod really stepped up big this year for their CHL teams. Howden had a good year. Jost and Dubois are probably in the NHL. I'll spit out a rough potential roster for next year.

Mascherin - Steel - Raddysh
Howden - McLeod - Lind
Dube - Glass - Kyrou
Benson - Suzuki - Vilardi
Rasmussen

Bean - Fabbro
Girard - Foote
Hague - Clague
Makar

Hart
Dipietro
Outhouse

I'm pretty sure Mete will make the team and be a key player on D

SportsFan94

Jan 11, 2017
Cambridge, Ontario.
My Predictions judging by players i know

Dubois-Steel-Raddysh
Mascherin-McLeod-Tippett
Howden-Suzuki-Vilardi
Lind-Dube-Pu
Glass, Benson

(Jost, Patrick make NHL. Dubois also possible, and a chance Steel could make the ducks next year he absolutely tore up the WHL this year from what i saw)

Mete-Fabbro
Stanley-Bean
Clague-Foote
Girard

Hart
DiPietro

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Dubois-Steel-Raddysh
Mascherin-McLeod-Tippett
Howden-Suzuki-Vilardi
Lind-Dube-Pu
Glass, Benson

(Jost, Patrick make NHL. Dubois also possible, and a chance Steel could make the ducks next year he absolutely tore up the WHL this year from what i saw)

Mete-Fabbro
Stanley-Bean
Clague-Foote
Girard

Hart
DiPietro

That's pretty close to where I'd like to see things come together, although with a few exceptions.

Assuming the 4 names we anticipate being in the NHL stay in the NHL here's what I have.

A MASCHERIN S STEEL T RADDYSH
M RASMUSSEN M MCLEOD O TIPPETT
B HOWDEN N SUZUKI G VILARDI
D DUBE C GLASS K LIND

J KYROU

K CLAGUE D FABBRO
N HAGUE C MAKAR
V METE C FOOTE
J BEAN

C HART
M DIPIETRO

I have questions about Howden and Dube, but Howden had a good U18 tournament, so he gets the benefit of the doubt from me for now. Dube? Not really sold on him, but he's a returnee, but I'm hoping somebody like Comtois steals his spot. Don't really like Benson, never have. Pu has a shot.

And I have questions about J. Bean. but again, as a returnee his spot is all but guaranteed. I hope somebody emerges to steal his spot. just don't know who that guy will be.

Just like JackSlater, I'm a bit more optimistic on the 98s now then I was this time last year. The Buffalo tournament may not be a disaster after all. Should play in the 1/2 final at least and play for medal. single game, could go either way. I can live with that.

As always, I'm looking for a dream match up final, Canada v USA. fingers crossed.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
That's pretty close to where I'd like to see things come together, although with a few exceptions.

Assuming the 4 names we anticipate being in the NHL stay in the NHL here's what I have.

D DUBE C GLASS K LIND

J KYROU

K CLAGUE D FABBRO
N HAGUE C MAKAR
V METE C FOOTE
J BEAN

C HART
M DIPIETRO

I have questions about Howden and Dube, but Howden had a good U18 tournament, so he gets the benefit of the doubt from me for now. Dube? Not really sold on him, but he's a returnee, but I'm hoping somebody like Comtois steals his spot. Don't really like Benson, never have. Pu has a shot.

And I have questions about J. Bean. but again, as a returnee his spot is all but guaranteed. I hope somebody emerges to steal his spot. just don't know who that guy will be.

Just like JackSlater, I'm a bit more optimistic on the 98s now then I was this time last year. The Buffalo tournament may not be a disaster after all. Should play in the 1/2 final at least and play for medal. single game, could go either way. I can live with that.

As always, I'm looking for a dream match up final, Canada v USA. fingers crossed.
Suprised you went with rasmussen. What do you like about him?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

D DUBE C GLASS K LIND

J KYROU

K CLAGUE D FABBRO
N HAGUE C MAKAR
V METE C FOOTE
J BEAN

C HART
M DIPIETRO

Why not Vilardi? As for Dube, he did well last year given his role. I have no problem at all with having him as a third/fourth liner again. He was unlucky not to have picked up some points this past tournament.

While I am more optimistic about this tournament than I was, I'm not willing to put my money where my mouth is. I attended the tournament last time it was in Buffalo and enjoyed myself, but I'm not going this time. If the team looked like a great bet to make the finals I probably would attend. This is bad news for Russia I suppose, as both tournaments I attended ended with Russia beating Canada in the gold medal game.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
What do you guys think are the locks on the team so far? Steel, Raddysh, McLeod, Fabbro, Clague, Bean, Hart? Howden is probably going to make the team, Tampa Bay prospect with good character and he really improved his game this year. Fabbro and Clague will probably lead this team defensively, but I like all the defencemen, we got good depth this year on the back-end. I was impressed by Stanley in the Memorial Cup, Sam Girard can probably get a spot on the team but he needs to improve his shot to be a PPQB on this team. I'm interested in Jordan Sambrook as well, big, solid defenceman from Erie.

Dube was good last year, he's a solid energy player on this team. I don't know if I would have Tippett on the team yet, he's too turnover prone for me. I rather stick it out with someone like Comtois or even Caamano. Caamano looked good in the OHL, athletic winger with speed, he's physical and likes to attack the net.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Why not Vilardi? As for Dube, he did well last year given his role. I have no problem at all with having him as a third/fourth liner again. He was unlucky not to have picked up some points this past tournament.

While I am more optimistic about this tournament than I was, I'm not willing to put my money where my mouth is. I attended the tournament last time it was in Buffalo and enjoyed myself, but I'm not going this time. If the team looked like a great bet to make the finals I probably would attend. This is bad news for Russia I suppose, as both tournaments I attended ended with Russia beating Canada in the gold medal game.

I have Vilardi on 3rd. line on the right side. As for the team's prospects, hard to gauge really until we get a clearer picture of the other main contenders, the U.S., and the Swedes. but a 1/2 final appearance should be the absolute minimum we should expect...after that it's 50/50 crapshoot.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Suprised you went with rasmussen. What do you like about him?

big body with skill, can score, make plays, competes on the boards. I think he could mesh well with McLeod. Whether or not Tippett makes it, I don't know...some like him, some don't. I like him. + he and Tippett could be the 2 go to guys for Vancouver/Victoria 2019.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I have Vilardi on 3rd. line on the right side. As for the team's prospects, hard to gauge really until we get a clearer picture of the other main contenders, the U.S., and the Swedes. but a 1/2 final appearance should be the absolute minimum we should expect...after that it's 50/50 crapshoot.

Big miss by me. I certainly expect a semi final appearance regardless of what the group looks like. This upcoming year no team looks especially strong.

What do you guys think are the locks on the team so far? Steel, Raddysh, McLeod, Fabbro, Clague, Bean, Hart? Howden is probably going to make the team, Tampa Bay prospect with good character and he really improved his game this year. Fabbro and Clague will probably lead this team defensively, but I like all the defencemen, we got good depth this year on the back-end. I was impressed by Stanley in the Memorial Cup, Sam Girard can probably get a spot on the team but he needs to improve his shot to be a PPQB on this team. I'm interested in Jordan Sambrook as well, big, solid defenceman from Erie.

Dube was good last year, he's a solid energy player on this team. I don't know if I would have Tippett on the team yet, he's too turnover prone for me. I rather stick it out with someone like Comtois or even Caamano. Caamano looked good in the OHL, athletic winger with speed, he's physical and likes to attack the net.

I think that you named the players that are close to locks. Chyrchrun and Patrick would be locks, but they won't be available presumably. Quite possibly the same thing for Dubois. The returnees are all probably locks, though I hope they take a serious look at Bean this year and remember how atrocious he was in 2017. If Steel is still in junior he would be a guarantee. I think that Girard is a very strong contender. Mete played well and received a long look at the camp last year.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Hey guys, so the US summer camp roster and schedule is out. Looks like Canada will be bringing two teams to start (red and white) like the States and cutting it down and we'll get some Canada vs USA hockey to end off the summer/start the season. Hopefully that's the start of an annual super series. Can't wait to see Canada's summer camp rosters

Date

Game

Time (ET)

Sat., July 29 USA White vs. Finland 1:00 p.m.
USA Blue vs. Sweden 4:00 p.m.
Sun., July 30 USA Blue vs. Finland 1:00 p.m.
USA White vs. Sweden 4:00 p.m.
Tues., Aug. 1 Canada Red vs. USA White 4:08 p.m.
Canada White vs. USA Blue 7:08 p.m.

Wed., Aug. 2 Canada vs. Finland 1:08 p.m.
USA vs. Sweden 4:08 p.m.
Fri., Aug. 4 Sweden vs. Canada 1:08 p.m.
Finland vs. USA 4:08 p.m.
Sat., Aug. 5 Sweden vs. Finland 4:08 p.m.
USA vs. Canada 7:08 p.m.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Interesting, don't notice any real surprises. Only five 99s overall. I expect a few more 2017 draftees to be under consideration as the tournament approaches, especially if and when some players stick in the NHL.

a couple of surprises. And will Patrick even participate in this or will he take the 'I'm a Top Prospect opt out? He'll probably still be nursing injuries in any event.

I'd rather they put all those name you'd expect to be on the Christmas team on to 1 team here, and thereby anybody who stands out on the 2nd. team will be a little more significant. I'd rather see what Suzuki could do with wingers who are lower on the elite talent scale. Katchouk, Smith or Benson. Not really a fan of any of these 3 invitees. When it comes to December camp, Benson will be on IR anyway.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
a couple of surprises. And will Patrick even participate in this or will he take the 'I'm a Top Prospect opt out? He'll probably still be nursing injuries in any event.

I'd rather they put all those name you'd expect to be on the Christmas team on to 1 team here, and thereby anybody who stands out on the 2nd. team will be a little more significant. I'd rather see what Suzuki could do with wingers who are lower on the elite talent scale. Katchouk, Smith or Benson. Not really a fan of any of these 3 invitees. When it comes to December camp, Benson will be on IR anyway.

Those are fine players as invites, I don't see anything wrong with them. I'm fine with all selections except maybe I'd have Wall over Wells.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Those are fine players as invites, I don't see anything wrong with them. I'm fine with all selections except maybe I'd have Wall over Wells.

I don't see anything wrong with those 3 as summer camp invitees either. I'd rather have better than those 3 on the final Christmas roster if we are going to be legit contenders.

Would I drop either one of those 3 to have Rasmussen there? You bet. wouldn't think twice.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Who knows with Patrick. If he goes second then maybe he will go to the camp. Surprises are I guess that bigger forwards like Rasmussen or Ratcliffe (neither of whom I am a fan of) weren't invited, but it's not a shock. The camp is just camp anyway, it's interesting to see how guys perform but historically no one makes the team, or plays themself off the team, based solely on the camp. I somewhat like Benson if he's used in the right role on North American ice, but yes I wouldn't put money on him being healthy come December (or November or October).

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
not picking the 2nd best goalie because hes a newfoundlander

I like Evan Fitzpatrick but his consistency needs work before he can be considered for this roster. He was at least invited to the Program of Excellence Goalie Camp when goalies like Tyler Wall/Colton Point weren't. All the goalies (except Skinner but he had a massive playoffs) were highly consistent in the regular season. Fitzpatrick needs to nail down his mental game moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->