WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
As a Sens fan, I am thrilled to see Formenton and Batherson come out of nowhere to take spots from more established players.

I suspected both would be on the team simply by the way the Senators treated them post draft. Both are signed. Formenton played a game in the NHL and Batherson showed well at camp. When Batherson was hurt, he was sent to Belleville to work with the AHL team. This is how you treat top prospects.

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
So ppl are commenting that Suzuki and Glass didn't have good camps. Did raddysh and McLeod have good camps? Haven't heard a peep about these 2.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
just for shits and giggles....because there's not much left to discuss until Boxing Day. and + it always annoys others that we (Canadians) discuss players who are not available and so called 'B teams'

Even though I'm disappointed in Mascherin's season, I'd still take him over Benson. but Benson does seem to be putting in a decent season. So, honorable mention to him.

I'd probably take this team to win over the 'A Team'.

T JOSTP.L. DUBOIS K LIND
M RASMUSSENN PATRICKS METTHEOS
O TIPPETTC GLASSN SUZUKI
A MASCHERINC PUJ ANG
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
T BENSON T KASPICK
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
S GIRARD E BOUCHARD
J CHYCHRUND QUENNEVILLE
J MAHURA
D CHOLOWSKI / M FERRARO
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M DIPIETRO
S HARVEY
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
One of Glass or Suzuki had to be picked I think that sucks. Stoked on the defense tho.. few questions. Who do you think will be our...
1) Top Pair Defense
2) Best Hitter
3) Most Goals
4) Most Points
5) Biggest surprise Good/Bad

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
just for ****s and giggles....because there's not much left to discuss until Boxing Day. and + it always annoys others that we (Canadians) discuss players who are not available and so called 'B teams'

Even though I'm disappointed in Mascherin's season, I'd still take him over Benson. but Benson does seem to be putting in a decent season. So, honorable mention to him.

I'd probably take this team to win over the 'A Team'.

T JOSTP.L. DUBOIS K LIND
M RASMUSSENN PATRICKS METTHEOS
O TIPPETTC GLASSN SUZUKI
A MASCHERINC PUJ ANG
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
T BENSON T KASPICK
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
S GIRARD E BOUCHARD
J CHYCHRUND QUENNEVILLE
J MAHURA
D CHOLOWSKI / M FERRARO
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M DIPIETRO
S HARVEY
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I mean adding 5 players currently in the NHL and not available to the team....Yeah it would be pretty close but I don't think it really makes any sense trying to call that the "B Team" when 5 of the players on that team just straight up aren't option for any version of a Team Canada....A real Canadian B team would be full of all players not on the team in the CHL/NCAA. Players that actually could be on the team.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Gonna guess
1) Top Pair - Mete - Timmins
2) Best Hit - Foote?
3) Most Goals - Steenbergen/Kyrou 5 each
4) Most Points - Kyrou/Steel 9 each
5) No Suprise - Bean... Sucks

Reactions: jj cale

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
The top pair is gonna be Clague-Fabbro I think. Definitely going to matchup against other teams best players imo.
I do agree with that pairing and that role. Guess that would make them top pair lol. 1A 1B minutes wise, maybe Mete - Timmins will get more spot light for putting up more points.

CRhockey

Dec 16, 2017
I have been following this tournament and specifically Team Canada since the initial national team 1982.
Always my favorite time of year and hockey tournament.
I have seen some so called average skilled Canadian teams win gold many times. It’s the team that matters!
This team starts from the net out in Hart and could have a great defense in playing up tempo puck possession hockey.
It’s Canada and the debate over who coulda shoulda been on the team is never ending when it comes to Canadians and there team.
I may not have picked Howdon or Comtois, I liked Lind in the super series but the Coaching staff is picking the Team and this process started a year ago.
I Was there at General Motors Place 2006 when we smoked the Russians. That team also had no skill and scoring, that worked out pretty good. That year We kept hearing about the Americans and Russian and how good they were.
I give this team a 100% chance to win gold . Many of these forwards may surprise the critics.
Going for gold!!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Every Canadian team has the potential to win Gold.

That's just the way it is in this kind of tournament which favors larger hockey countries.

Weaker teams have succeeded on the basis of stellar goaltending in the past.

If anything, that's the major culprit over Canada's recent stretch of failing to win.

Reactions: CRhockey

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
So ppl are commenting that Suzuki and Glass didn't have good camps. Did raddysh and McLeod have good camps? Haven't heard a peep about these 2.

That is a good point. Raddysh did absolutely nothing, McLeod did very little. I don't agree with them being automatic picks for the team given that Raddysh basically just lit up one terrible team last year and McLeod was the most marginal forward on the team and probably shouldn't even have been there. It's just not common for returning players to get cut. At least Raddysh brings some size though and McLeod brings a nice speed element.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
One of Glass or Suzuki had to be picked I think that sucks. Stoked on the defense tho.. few questions. Who do you think will be our...
1) Top Pair Defense
2) Best Hitter
3) Most Goals
4) Most Points
5) Biggest surprise Good/Bad

1) Kale Clague- Dante Fabbro

2) Jonah Gadjovich

3) Taylor Raddysh

4) Robert Thomas

5) Good: Drake Batherson ends up playing a top 6 role by the end of the tournament and scores some timely goals.

Bad: Sam Steel has a quiet tournament putting up less than a PPG.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No... they really aren’t.

Yeah I'd say Sweden or USA have just as much of a shot this year. I don't have a lot of faith in this roster outside of the goaltending and defence. The forwards are fast sure, but a lot of them lack the IQ and high end skill for a tourny of this calibre. We have a very blue collar team on offence. They'll have to work their asses off to score goals, hopefully they are up for the challenge.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That is a good point. Raddysh did absolutely nothing, McLeod did very little. I don't agree with them being automatic picks for the team given that Raddysh basically just lit up one terrible team last year and McLeod was the most marginal forward on the team and probably shouldn't even have been there. It's just not common for returning players to get cut. At least Raddysh brings some size though and McLeod brings a nice speed element.

In all fairness, both of Raddysh and McLeod have actually played and have scored goals in the actual tournament which probably went a long way in securing their spots. McLeod had a primary assist in the final game against the US as the "most marginal forward". Never discount the been there done that factor. Both Raddysh and McLeod are likely much better players than they were last year. Hard to say a very short camp was really much of a difference maker for the team. Maybe for this year's marginal players but the body of work of the returnees probably played a much bigger role in their selections.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
To me, the Team Canada brass took a very thoughtful approach to constructing this team. Did they over think it? Not for me to say. Normally the approach is to take the best talent and go from there but the reality is no team in this tournament has a game changer we're used to seeing. The U.S. doesn't and my guess the identity of that team with be very similar to what Canada ended up with.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
In all fairness, both of Raddysh and McLeod have actually played and have scored goals in the actual tournament which probably went a long way in securing their spots. McLeod had a primary assist in the final game against the US as the "most marginal forward". Never discount the been there done that factor. Both Raddysh and McLeod are likely much better players than they were last year. Hard to say a very short camp was really much of a difference maker for the team. Maybe for this year's marginal players but the body of work of the returnees probably played a much bigger role in their selections.

I know that them having played is an obvious factor, I was saying that it probably shouldn't be a very big factor as they were both marginal players last year. It's a plus for them but everything we have heard indicates that they were locks as returning players and that shouldn't have been the case. They are on the team though and I am hoping for the best. If utilized properly they could be useful, particularly McLeod in a more two way role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad