WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Whatever our favorite Hockey club of Canada (Vancouver,Toronto,Winnipeg,Ottawa,Montréal) we'll all stand up together for the Canadian Flag when it comes to an international competition. Honestly,the only dude I know is Victor Mete, the others I'll learn to know their names during this competition :D
I can get behind this sentiment! But does Alberta like not qualify as Canada or what lol.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
They are not "pathetic", as a group they are one of the better ones, top 3 forward group no doubt, the D is better than the forwards, so it's not ok, again as a group it might be the best with only Sweden edging them out.

I would say the forward group is closer to the bottom 3 than the top 3.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Ok, then you are living in dreamland.
From what I saw against Denmark, yes Denmark is slow, but this is what is saw team Canada do:

Team Canada was extremely fast at moving the puck out of their zone and extremely fast at entering the opposition zone. Now this could be because of their opponent but Canada was faster at getting to the pucks

They did register 50 shots on nets but I don't know from where most of their shots were

If Canada is faster to the puck and tenacious at getting the puck then this to me means the other team doesn't have the puck as much. Isn't this a good thing ?

Anyways. We will see how this develops.

But if I remember correctly last year this time I also read the same critics about team Canada and they didn't do to badly.

Reactions: 99664987

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
From what I saw against Denmark, yes Denmark is slow, but this is what is saw team Canada do:

Team Canada was extremely fast at moving the puck out of their zone and extremely fast at entering the opposition zone. Now this could be because of their opponent but Canada was faster at getting to the pucks

They did register 50 shots on nets but I don't know from where most of their shots were

If Canada is faster to the puck and tenacious at getting the puck then this to me means the other team doesn't have the puck as much. Isn't this a good thing ?

Anyways. We will see how this develops.

But if I remember correctly last year this time I also read the same critics about team Canada and they didn't do to badly.

Yes Canada will have to work hard and work as a team to get it done, but they can.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Still no explanation on your "Point is terrible" comment?

I thought it kind of explains itself but if you want more he has poor positioning and isn't overly fast, plays in a super weak league and doesn't do anything well enough that he should be here over the better options out there.

He was badly outplayed in the camp/pre-tournament games and doesn't have the resume to overlook that.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
I thought it kind of explains itself but if you want more he has poor positioning and isn't overly fast, plays in a super weak league and doesn't do anything well enough that he should be here over the better options out there.

He was badly outplayed in the camp/pre-tournament games and doesn't have the resume to overlook that.

This is so ignorant and foolish. You'll deny it - but it's pretty clear you had never heard about Point until this week and barely follow or respect (if at all) NCAA hockey and you're just assuming...

Point plays on a pretty awful team - but the sole reason they're actually pretty good this year is Colton Point. He has allowed 31 goals in 16 games played (1.90 GAA) with a .938 SPCT. In the two games Colgate played without him (concussion) they got bombed for ten goals (five each night)...

Offensively his team has scored 44 goals total and just 29 (in 18 GP) at even strength. So they've absolutely needed every single save. With that offense and Point they're 8-4-4 in games he's played. 0-2-0 otherwise...

If you don't know who he is, ask - don't actively make yourself look stupid. If he played for the US, he would have pushed Oettinger and Woll to be the starter. The way he's played this year I would have liked to see him win the job.

Canada won't miss a beat if Point has to play extended minutes. As your backup - playing the Denmark game - you have NOTHING to worry about. Whining about Point (or the back-up goalie in general) proves you just want to complain. And just on this take alone, I have to assume your takes on the other positions are just as off-base (now I'm pretty worried about Canada!). The rest of the Canadians scoffing at everything you say clinches it...

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
With all the hatred towards this year's team, I assume Busterman won't be watching.

I love the WJHC so I likely will watch but I won't plan around the games like I have in the past so if something comes up I likely will skip games this year where there was no way that would have happened in the past.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This is so ignorant and foolish. You'll deny it - but it's pretty clear you had never heard about Point until this week and barely follow or respect (if at all) NCAA hockey and you're just assuming...

Point plays on a pretty awful team - but the sole reason they're actually pretty good this year is Colton Point. He has allowed 31 goals in 16 games played (1.90 GAA) with a .938 SPCT. In the two games Colgate played without him (concussion) they got bombed for ten goals (five each night)...

Offensively his team has scored 44 goals total and just 29 (in 18 GP) at even strength. So they've absolutely needed every single save...

If you don't know who he is, ask - don't actively make yourself look stupid. If he played for the US, he would have pushed Oettinger and Woll to be the starter. The way he's played this year I would have liked to see him win the job.

Canada won't miss a beat if Point has to play extended minutes. As your backup - playing the Denmark game - you have NOTHING to worry about. Whining about Point (or the back-up goalie in general) proves you just want to complain. And just on this take alone, I have to assume your takes on the other positions are just as off-base (now I'm pretty worried about Canada!). The rest of the Canadians scoffing at everything you say clinches it...

Your pretty much wrong on everything in regards to me but I guess it's easier to go with the super weak "you've never seen him" argument than dare to realize someone might have a different opinion than you.

I am a big WJHC fan so I have been tracking a lot of these guys for awhile so definitely have heard about him before now.

You were right with one thing though I do not respect NCAA hockey at all.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Saying a high end goalie prospect who is posting absurd numbers in the NCAA (which is certainly not a weak league by any means) and is getting high praise from goalie coaches is terrible explains absolutely nothing.

You must be watching a different Colton Point because that is not Point at all and you'll struggle to find anyone (scouts/goalie coaches) who agree with you. Point is a powerful goalie who has learned quickly how best to use the monster frame he's been given which gives him an advantage over many goalies who are still struggling to learn. He's also fine in the quickness department due to his edge control and has an impressive explosive game due to his leg strength. Point's technical abilities are only behind Hart's. DiPietro needs to focus on improving that part of his game in order to be ready as the starter for Team Canada next year.

He was most certainly not outplayed in camp or pre-tournament except for maybe the 2nd U Sports/Canada game. Everyone was raving about his camp and then he helped shutout Team Canada with Carter Hart in impressive fashion. DiPietro's or Harvey's resumes are no more impressive than Point's. The only difference between them is the level of exposure they get especially in DiPietro's case where Windsor got a bye to the Memorial Cup.

I'm more than happy to be the first to criticize Hockey Canada or any organization for their lack of goalie evaluations but in this case I'll be the first to say that Hockey Canada picked the two most talented Canadian goalies available for this tournament.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Saying a high end goalie prospect who is posting absurd numbers in the NCAA (which is certainly not a weak league by any means) and is getting high praise from goalie coaches is terrible explains absolutely nothing.

You must be watching a different Colton Point because that is not Point at all and you'll struggle to find anyone (scouts/goalie coaches) who agree with you. Point is a powerful goalie who has learned quickly how best to use the monster frame he's been given which gives him an advantage over many goalies who are still struggling to learn. He's also fine in the quickness department due to his edge control and has an impressive explosive game due to his leg strength. Point's technical abilities are only behind Hart's. DiPietro needs to focus on improving that part of his game in order to be ready as the starter for Team Canada next year.

He was most certainly not outplayed in camp or pre-tournament except for maybe the 2nd U Sports/Canada game. Everyone was raving about his camp and then he helped shutout Team Canada with Carter Hart in impressive fashion. DiPietro's or Harvey's resumes are no more impressive than Point's. The only difference between them is the level of exposure they get especially in DiPietro's case where Windsor got a bye to the Memorial Cup.

I'm more than happy to be the first to criticize Hockey Canada or any organization for their lack of goalie evaluations but in this case I'll be the first to say that Hockey Canada picked the two most talented Canadian goalies available for this tournament.

I absolutely agree with your points, and the reason why i thought Colton Point should have been on the team instead of DiPietro. DiPietro will be back next year- but this year, i thought Hart and Point were the most talented goalies available for Canada for some of the reasons you mentioned.

Reactions: NewHampshire

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Your pretty much wrong on everything in regards to me but I guess it's easier to go with the super weak "you've never seen him" argument than dare to realize someone might have a different opinion than you.

I am a big WJHC fan so I have been tracking a lot of these guys for awhile so definitely have heard about him before now.

You were right with one thing though I do not respect NCAA hockey at all.

LOL

I still don't believe you. But if you've seen him and that is still your opinion than that's even more embarrassing you...

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014

Offensively his team has scored 44 goals total and just 29 (in 18 GP) at even strength. So they've absolutely needed every single save. With that offense and Point they're 8-4-4 in games he's played. 0-2-0 otherwise...

Nice answer

Team Canada must have seen something in him to pick him over dipietro. Dipierro will be here next year. Even the guys on tsn rave about point. If hart plays well he will get the starting job for the medal rounds. Point will need to basically shut out every team to knock hart out. Or hart needs to lay eggs

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
This has turned into quite the embarrassing thread for [mod].

Getting buried in facts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
It seems like the only people disappointed with the selections are the ones who are here to cheer for their NHL prospects rather than the countries. I'm not totally surprised about the team and for the true fans of this Canadian team should be feeling pretty good honestly. The coaching is great, last year they led a fairly weak team to the Gold Medal game and their best players were Cirelli and Stephens. Nobody should be shocked though (if you followed the team), those 2 players were excellent in the Summer Camp and are TB prospects. Katchouk, Howden, Foote, and Raddysh are also TB prospects. I think that's pretty ironic. Unlike previous years, we have a good coaching staff who know what they are doing.

Has anybody seen the size of Suzuki and Glass from when they got cut. Really skinny kids and I know hockey isn't about how strong you are, but in this tournament these kids are 18 and going to easily get out muscled. Robert Thomas is a strong player, Batherson a strong player and same with most the players on this team.

These players can either play a good possession game or they can move around the ice quick. They clearly want to build a team that can keep the puck in the offensive zone for extended period of times. That's why guys like Comtois, Gadjovich, Katchouk, Batherson, Howden, Raddysh, Thomas, Dube made the team. Bringing the best 13 forwards and telling them to play hockey will hardly win you a tournament especially this year where there isn't many dominant players available for any country.

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
It seems like the only people disappointed with the selections are the ones who are here to cheer for their NHL prospects rather than the countries. I'm not totally surprised about the team and for the true fans of this Canadian team should be feeling pretty good honestly. The coaching is great, last year they led a fairly weak team to the Gold Medal game and their best players were Cirelli and Stephens. Nobody should be shocked though (if you followed the team), those 2 players were excellent in the Summer Camp and are TB prospects. Katchouk, Howden, Foote, and Raddysh are also TB prospects. I think that's pretty ironic. Unlike previous years, we have a good coaching staff who know what they are doing.

Has anybody seen the size of Suzuki and Glass from when they got cut. Really skinny kids and I know hockey isn't about how strong you are, but in this tournament these kids are 18 and going to easily get out muscled. Robert Thomas is a strong player, Batherson a strong player and same with most the players on this team.

These players can either play a good possession game or they can move around the ice quick. They clearly want to build a team that can keep the puck in the offensive zone for extended period of times. That's why guys like Comtois, Gadjovich, Katchouk, Batherson, Howden, Raddysh, Thomas, Dube made the team. Bringing the best 13 forwards and telling them to play hockey will hardly win you a tournament especially this year where there isn't many dominant players available for any country.

Said what I was thinking, good post.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007

Last year was not fairly weak, 16' was weaker.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Crosby, McDavid, Newhook.

Kid is in line to be "the next one". Should have been on this team.

Mr. Met

Nov 8, 2017
I agree, Newhook is a very, very good hockey player.

At the age of 16 though, I'm not sure thats a possibility

Reactions: Guerzy

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
As of right now Newhook looks to be a top 10 pick, certainly not in the class of Crosby or McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad