Post-Game Talk: Can you say "anti-climatic?" Jets start strong then stumble to a 4-1 loss to the Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Unfortunately other teams in the NHL can scrutinize yesterdays video and use that as a model on how they too can beat the Jets, easily.
Claude now has the task to create a different game plan

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Unfortunately other teams in the NHL can scrutinize yesterdays video and use that as a model on how they too can beat the Jets, easily.

Don't if that is the case as much as the players being out of shape and really showing a real lack of intensity (surprising). Couple of posts, a couple of soft goals, a couple of bad defensive miscues, eliminate those and it could have been a different game. The one thing I didn't like was the Jets being out shot badly at home.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011

Honestly it's no great mystery. As I suggest in my other post, all you do is play the trap on the Jets. Wait for failure in Jets' zone in the form of turnovers, or poor break outs.... it WILL happen.

Any team that plays the trap, Noel fails to react accordingly. The Jets will try to stick handle through the middle or force passes that simply don't exist.

Oddly enough I think they have the youth and legs to beat the trap, they just don't adapt. Every team we faced last year that employed any form of trap was a handful for the Jets.

Ottawa knew this coming in. I said it before Paul Maclean adjusted his defense accordingly, and played a boring, bogged down, grindy playstyle in a hostile environment where both teams would inevitably be sloppy and rusty. Kudos to him.

Now my question is, when do we start realizing this all of this and adjusting for it?

I personally refuse to blame players individually at this point. In 5 games our perspective of individuals may flip greatly. Unfortunately 5 games is a respectable chunk of the 2013 season!

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011
Hey Jets fans, tough loss. Watching the first period I thought the Jets were going to blow out the sens, just couldn't capitalize. A poor PP gave the Sens some confidence and allowed them back in the game.

I thought Scheifle looked pretty decent, skated well (balance and strength issues aside) and created some chances. Jokinen looked really good.

On the defence I thought Hainsey was the worst by far. He couldn't make the simple play and was responsible for a few giveaways.

Better luck next time!

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Hey Jets fans, tough loss. Watching the first period I thought the Jets were going to blow out the sens, just couldn't capitalize. A poor PP gave the Sens some confidence and allowed them back in the game.

I thought Scheifle looked pretty decent, skated well (balance and strength issues aside) and created some chances. Jokinen looked really good.

On the defence I thought Hainsey was the worst by far. He couldn't make the simple play and was responsible for a few giveaways.

Better luck next time!

Clearly you didn't see Postma, Clitsome or Stuart.

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
Very soft effort. No wonder they picked up Peluso and Wright. Need to inject some heart and toughness in soon for this butter soft team

yup to that.the first 2 goals were brain cramps for sure. postma obviously on the first one and the second one all stuey there i thought.he had neil in front to cover and turned his back to him like he was scared or something(maybe from the earlier hit not sure).and stuey is generally an in your face kind of guy. buff was best player on ice.other than that not too much. ottawa looked a lot more disciplined as well. we still give away too many odd man rushes

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Game plan?

Unless the Jets game plan was to throw the puck around aimlessly, commit soft turnovers at both ends, and generally look rusty and out of shape, I don't think there's any game plan to scrutinize.

The only task Claude has is to get the Jets playing competent regular season hockey, as opposed to the reckless pond hockey they played yesterday. My fear is that by the time he gets that to happen, the Jets could be in an 0-4 hole.

Only good news is that, the the way this season seems to be playing out, any one of Boston, Washington and Pittsburgh could end up gifting the Jets a game they have no business winning.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
On another note, anyone else starting to feel ill, I may not be able to make it in to work tomorrow or may have to go home at noon.;)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
As much as I've been upset about how TC was handled/moves, let's remember this is one game. One sloppy game as teams try to get back into the groove.

USSR Line was great. Clearly showed they had all been playing, great puck control, in your face, gotta be happy with that emotion and offensive puck control while playing easily the hardest minutes. Love Antro going after Alfie, also saw him dominant Spezza in the corners a couple of times, that is a shutdown line with offense, love it. Don't like Noel screwing with the lines, in particular the USSR line, so fast. Stick with the lines for the game. Burmistrov was solid, throwing hits, working hard, the offense will come, the line had several great chances.

Don't think Postma was nearly as bad as people say. He had the one bad turnover, but really that should have stopped anyways.

I hope they give Scheifele a real chance with Joki and Kane, and stick with that.

I hope this is the lineup on Monday

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Scheifele
Ponikarovsky - Antropov - Burmistrov
Wright - Slater - Thorburn

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Postma
Stuart - Redmond

(As an aside, Machacek scores the only goal in the STJ game today...)

I thought Wellwood was one of the better and more creative forwards to be honest.

Against the Broons I`d scratch Thorbs and play Peluso. Let`s see what the kid can do.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I thought Wellwood was one of the better and more creative forwards to be honest.

Against the Broons I`d scratch Thorbs and play Peluso. Let`s see what the kid can do.

Would like to see that as well, Thorbs has been a good warrior for the franchise over the years but does he really bring a lot to the team, he is no threat to score, is just an okay PK'er and he doesn't seem to bring that spunk/fire/intensity a guy in his position should be bringing on a nightly basis.

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
Maybe we will draft Crosby #2 and force him to play defense till he will forget how to play offense (like we do to Burmi and Scheifele)

Now nobody has doubts we don't have even 2 D who know how to play defense

Now it is clear that Jets should play nothing but dump and chase. Our transaction game not even good for AHL. With this amount of turnovers Pavelec could face 2k shots in short this short season

Jets have no fore-checkers, we have 2 Noel wants them to be, but none real one

We know for sure that Kane can't and doesn't want to pass, so his line-mates should stop expecting him to do it.

It is better for Scheifele and Burmi to not play in NHL if they won't be playing top-6

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Some people need to put into perspective that this was the first game back from a shortened season where our team's players played the least amount of hockey during their time off.

I just feel like we need a larger sample size to really start ragging on our players. Keep in mind we've changed the whole dynamic of the second line, the third line has a newly added player that has to learn the whole system from scratch.

Yes, our defense is a concern without Bogosian as he was the anchor on the second pairing and spread out the D minutes to where they should be for each given player's skill level. It's going to hurt a bit till February when he hopefully makes it back but there's obviously going to be major rust there as well.

Last edited:

Beazley

Duke of the Dale
Oct 2, 2008
Winnipeg
I was yammering on early in the game about how I thought Postma looked pretty good. I believe I was saying something about his puck-moving at the exact moment he dinked that weak flip clearing attempt. :help:

#facepalm

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I know it is a big HF board taboo - but I don't mind losing this year. Deep draft, lots of picks - and we could use another potential stud. I'm not saying tank - but losses aren't the worst thing that could happen this year.

Stop winnin' for MacKinnon. Play like lazy bones to draft Seth Jones. ;)

*sounds of rage from other posters, commence*

In all reality, if we can make a tape to tape pass, our chances improve dramatically. Wayyy too many giveaways yesterday.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Just chiming in with some negativity here:

1. Hainsey was (and is) just awful. People blaming Stuart for the 2nd goal must have missed the part where Hainsey gave the puck away by trying to skate it through 2 Sens. After the give away, he falls on Pavelec and then tries to make the save himself by sticking his glove out to catch it. I suppose Stuart should have found the puck before Neil, but he probably wasn't counting on a) the turn over and b) his goalie being taken out by his partner. Hainsey is a lazy, soft multi-million dollar pylon.

2. The short term answer to our defensive woes can surely not be pairing Postma with Hainsey on the 2nd pairing. Postma was terrible defensively. 4 giveaways. I noticed that some were saying "Buff had 4 giveaways too"...umm, did you watch the game? How many of Buffs giveaways were in the offensive zone where he was quite literally the only player creating offence. The short term answer is that there is none until Bogo gets back. Hainsey and Stuart stay in the 2nd pairing until then.
I really wished the Jets would have picked up tough shot blocking shutdown guy like Bryan Allen, but sadly we didn't. Our 3rd pairing will always be bad if we think we can address our goals against through the waiver wire. We have 4 defensemen (Meech, Postma, Redmond, Clitsome) who would be 7th on any other team.

Sunshine36616

I actually HAVE witnessed Pavs have a worse opening night.
DSC_0141.jpg

It's amazing how year after year, even after changing cities the same problems exist. I am thinking that after the team settled in the first season and now that the lockout is over, they will start adding some real pieces, at least I hope so for you guys' sake. I swear every complaint has been hanging over the team for at least 5 years.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

No different than last year. Challenge the puck carrier at the blue line aggressively, and they'll almost always dump it in. Either intercept the dump in, or use one D to "block" the puck carrier while the other one gets it. Just keep plugging up the middle, since we never pass to a winger or do a drop pass.

As far as offence go into corner and pass it in front of the net for a back door play. Pavelec plays too far out of position and our D doesn't cover the back door properly (see Neil goal).

It's really sad how we don't seem to change any of this. We win board battles a lot and have the talent to go far, but the above two hold us back drastically.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
IMO, Postma and Stuart looked weak because they were playing more minutes than they should be. Stuart is a bottom pairing defenceman and Postma needs to play extremely sheltered minutes in order to be effective (think Marc-Andre Bergeron).

The problem is, as bad as Postma looked, I'd still take him over Clitsome in the line up. Thus you're forced to pair together either Postma and Hainsey or Redmond and Hainsey on the second pairing. Postma is more experienced, but Redmond can surely play better defence.

Until Bogosian returns, I hope we see something like:

Byfuglien-Enstrom
Redmond-Hainsey
Postma-Stuart
(Meech)

That's right, Meech called up and Clitsome sent down. Hell, I'd even be comfortable with Meech playing regular minutes on the 3rd pairing if Postma continues to struggle.

Last edited:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I liked Noel's postgame review of Scheifele and Postma.

Scheifele: "I thought he took advantage of the situation he was in" - "created some chances" - "had a good game"

Postmas : "was....okay. I wouldn't give him a really high rating."

Hoping Scheifele sees some minutes on the 2nd or 3rd line tomorrow.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I liked Noel's postgame review of Scheifele and Postma.

Scheifele: "I thought he took advantage of the situation he was in" - "created some chances" - "had a good game"

Postmas : "was....okay. I wouldn't give him a really high rating."

Hoping Scheifele sees some minutes on the 2nd or 3rd line tomorrow.

I'd prefer the 2nd line in that case. 3rd line was really clicking yesterday, want to see them continue that.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
IMO, Postma and Stuart looked weak because they were playing more minutes than they should be. Stuart is a bottom pairing defenceman and Postma needs to play extremely sheltered minutes in order to be effective (think Marc-Andre Bergeron).

The problem is, as bad as Postma looked, I'd still take him over Clitsome in the line up. Thus you're forced to pair together either Postma and Hainsey or Redmond and Hainsey on the second pairing. Postma is more experienced, but Redmond can surely play better defence.

Byfuglien-Enstrom
Redmond-Hainsey
Postma-Stuart
(Meech)

That's right, Meech called up and Clitsome sent down. Hell, I'd even be comfortable with Meech playing regular minutes on the 3rd pairing if Postma continues to struggle.

Pretty much my thoughts.
*Buff and Toby looked good because those two always are good when they are together... problems they have usually arise when they are apart
*Hainsey looks bad because he's playing unsheltered minutes as the *main* guy... he is fine, maybe even great, when he's the support piece, like he is when he is with Bogosian... putting him with sub-par second pairing, whether that be Stuart, Postma, Clitsome, and Meech are all going to make those guys and him look bad unfortunately... maybe - just maybe - Redmond can shine here but with Noel I doubt he's going to give a rookie a chance
*Stuart can't be a top4 guy... he's NEVER EVER been successful there... he showed last year that if you shelter him (look at last year when he was paired with Jones) he can play strong against 3rd and 4th liners
*Marc Andre-Bergeron is a great example... honestly we've all seen how deadly Postma can be when pitted against bottom6 guys... place him with Stuart on the 3rd pairing so Stuart can be the safe guy and let Postma skate past 4th line pylons

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

Byfuglien-Enstrom
Redmond-Hainsey
Postma-Stuart
(Meech)

Hainsey is playing more minutes than he should be. Stuart was 9th in shot blocking last year and 10th in hits, for defensemen in the whole league. He's a warrior. Granted, he may be a bottom pairing defenseman but he's the only defender we have that defends. The only top 10 list Hainsey has ever made was in 09-10 when he was 4th in the league for Goals On Ice Against, with 104 and 7th in the league in Power Play Goals Against. Unless there is some advanced stat I'm unaware of that tracks not hitting guys? Losing coverage and then flopping around the crease trying to make saves with your glove? There is no such thing as sheltering someone with Hainsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad