Can the KHL survive now

EstesSquare

Feb 24, 2022
TSN reporting many players are defecting. 2 teams likely leaving the KHL or folding. And now all the investors involved with the KHL have zero access to funding. What are the chances the KHL devolves for the next season or two or maybe even longer. I just can not see how it can operate and quite honestly I can see it shutting down for a long time cause of what is happening.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
KHL in its current format will not survive, no. The league will not, however, shut down or cease to exist. The most likely scenario is that it goes back to the Superleague days with less economic inventives since foreign players will most likely be extremely limited. I guess a decent comparison would be how it was during the 90s or early 2000s.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I can see it shutting down for a long time cause of what is happening.
Yeah that's not happening. Scenario Exarz laid out is the most likely one but even if it's even worse than that, the league isn't going anywhere. Players will play for less and few might even leave Russia to play abroad like some did in the 90s. That's literally the worst-case scenario.

Few more teams might drop down to the VHL as well but it would just improve the level of play there so not even really detrimental.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I am hoping for VHL teams to be able to promote to RSL if KHL cease to exist.
What's the point of creating a league with an even bigger disparity? Yugra, the most successful independent VHL team, has played in the KHL already. Did anyone at all really benefit from them being there?

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
What's the point of creating a league with an even bigger disparity? Yugra, the most successful independent VHL team, has played in the KHL already. Did anyone at all really benefit from them being there?

If there will be less money in russian hockey (due to sanctions) maybe there will be lesser disparity between RSL/KHL and winner of VHL ? :)

Reactions: mattihp

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Could be the beginning of the end for the KHL. Might make other leagues bring in more money to attract players such as the SHL, Swiss league, heck China might even form their own hockey league. Maybe even Europe will just have their own hockey league.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
TSN reporting many players are defecting. 2 teams likely leaving the KHL or folding. And now all the investors involved with the KHL have zero access to funding. What are the chances the KHL devolves for the next season or two or maybe even longer. I just can not see how it can operate and quite honestly I can see it shutting down for a long time cause of what is happening.
I don’t know, ask Vorky he was convinced KHL was the way forward for European hockey. :sarcasm: Foreign players have lost like 50 % of their earnings just because of the rubel depreciation, and teams are leaving the league. Add that the maffia no longer can finance their teams and you have to ask who the f will be interested playing in KHL. :naughty: This will of course be a good thing for euro leagues and even the NHL will benefit since there are a lot of KHL players that make the cut in NHL especially ruskies. :D

Reactions: oilers'72

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
Unless they somehow stop their best players from leaving, the level will be on par with Soviet First Division (Tier II league).

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
I am wondering if Jokerit and Dinamo Riga can create something new and better, attracting best teams from Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia... maybe Ukraine when the war is over...

Reactions: oilers'72

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I am wondering if Jokerit and Dinamo Riga can create something new and better, attracting best teams from Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia... maybe Ukraine when the war is over...

Thankfully they won't. KHL showed that travel is too expensive, fans prefer domestic games to international, etc.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Speak for yourself. Definitely not true in every country. Of course, the KHL is dead now, but a different international league is the way to go in the future. (Hell, the NHL is an international league, too, not "domestic".)

Haven't you been spouting "KHL will conquer Europa" garbage for years now? You have changed your tone that quickly? What a surprise. I thought Slovan was joining the KHL next year still based on many of your posts.

If an international league was feasible, it would have happened by now. No one here is a great genius thinking about it for the first time and how hockey heads at the top are morons for not thinking about it. Travel costs would kill it before it starts. Fans have proven by their support of the KHL European teams and mostly lackluster CHL attendance that they they don't care about international games. Red Bull owner says he wants both teams in domestic leagues going back to 2010 for these reason. He said the KHL's venture into Europa will fail. And he was very correct. It took Poprad, Praha, Zagreb, Slovan, Donbass, Jokerit staying while losing 10MIL per season, and you still think international hockey is something feasible? Your ignorance must be blissful.

You know what the way to go in the future is? Domestic leagues. Where teams are run as legitimate businesses not burdened with financial ruin by travel and where fans actually care about and attend games.

The NHL is an international league, too. But nothing Europa will come up with will ever match the NHL, so I'm not sure why you're even mentioning them as a comparison.

eal

Sep 5, 2014
What is the main reason a European hockey league isn’t feasible? Why can basketball, handball, volleyball, etc manage it but hockey can’t?

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Yes and no.

Players with foreign passports will be attempting to leave en masse. That border station from Russia to Finland is about to overwhelmed.

Putin will keep the KHL running. They'll just borrow to keep the teams operating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad