Can the KHL survive now

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I think the KHL will continue to exist, but without the teams outside of the potential Union State (so basically the Russia teams and Minsk). Barys might still play in the league given how Kazakhstan usually is allied with Russia, but we shall see, and Red Star Kunlun's existence is more dependent on the future viability of hockey in China than anything else, especially with how the men's hockey team fell flat on their face, then ass, then face again at the Beijing Olympics.

Even so, the economic state of Russia may change thanks to outside corporations from the West (North America and Western Europe) choosing not to do business with them, forcing the smaller teams to either fold, merge, or drop down to the Supreme Hockey League.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Small minds

LOL it takes a small mind to think that is the reason.

Continental hockey is a money losing venture. You can't make money with such a league. And outside of Russia, hockey is in the entertainment business. Teams are run to at least not lose money.

Basketball is the only one that has a continental league, which is run along with domestic leagues by the way, and their budgets are small enough and run in a manner reflective of intelligent business practices.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
LOL it takes a small mind to think that is the reason.

Continental hockey is a money losing venture. You can't make money with such a league. And outside of Russia, hockey is in the entertainment business. Teams are run to at least not lose money.

Basketball is the only one that has a continental league, which is run along with domestic leagues by the way, and their budgets are small enough and run in a manner reflective of intelligent business practices.
You portray it this binary choice of either provincial national leagues or the NHL, which is the definition of a small mind. I’ve spoke my peace on scaling up slightly via merit of promotion/relegation from multiple countries into higher leagues.

Reactions: Lackhalak

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
You portray it this binary choice of either provincial national leagues or the NHL, which is the definition of a small mind. I’ve spoke my peace on scaling up slightly via merit of promotion/relegation from multiple countries into higher leagues.
So, what's wrong with the CHL format?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

So the Champions League style Champions Hockey League does not provide international play via merit while remaining financially stable? lol have fun with that scenario

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
You portray it this binary choice of either provincial national leagues or the NHL, which is the definition of a small mind.

Exactly! That's the good ol' black-and-white thinking and incurable Debbie Downer attitude – safest to ignore.

Anyway, we're in the wrong forum section with these contemplations, because it's obvious that the KHL is not the answer, given that it's a dead project now from an international point of view.

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
In the worlds best league NHL they've two teams in sunny Los Angeles, USA's second city and a team in the middle of dessert in Las Vegas. Not much snow and ice there. They've have developed their league emerging into new cities and markets since they started with their "original six" teams in cold areas.

I think if you want develop hockey in Norway you can't be som damn conservative and old fashioned as you are.
I admit, my remark about the weather in Bergen was a bit flippant.

But I wasn't talking about about developing hockey in Norway. It was about a hypothetical pan-European league and which place in Norway aside from Oslo should have a team. Given the financial instability of a new league like this it makes a whole lot more sense to include Hamar which had the second highest attendance in Norway instead of Bergen which doesn't have the same hockey culture and thus the same potential viability or immediate profitability in its market (Norske idrettslag sortert etter gjennomsnittlige tilskuertall – Wikipedia).

I would love to see Bergen develop into a hockey region in Norway, since it would help Norway become a better hockey nation, but at the moment there just isn't much sign of it. Attendence at Bergen's games is waaay down the list and they play two leagues below the top teams. It has big potential, but it would be a huge risk. And given the shaky financial start this pan-European league would have it just doesn't make sense to have risk like Bergen included instead of a more sure bet like Hamar. That isn't too say I don't want hockey developed in Bergen, it's just that it doesn't make sense in this scenario.

But this is way off topic from this thread. If you want to keep discussing this just tag me in one of the Norway threads :thumbu:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Robert Rooba doesn't think the KHL might exist next season with all the money wells being dried up:

With Severstal dropping out due to lack of funds, it's going to be an interesting summer.

Reactions: nickp91

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
A lot of mediocre Russian players will still be going to accept their salary in rubles, the same goes for most other team expenses.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Robert Rooba doesn't think the KHL might exist next season with all the money wells being dried up:

With Severstal dropping out due to lack of funds, it's going to be an interesting summer.

This is talked about every year, and reading up the language used is 'may' leave the KHL next season.

In fact it is said they are considering leaving the KHL and joining the VHL for one season, until their owner (who has been heavily sanctioned by the EU) can sort his finances out.

Severstal are the only 100% privately funded club, so the owner and his company taking such a huge hit financially is no surprise they are considering cutting costs for a year (although they state the money they spend on Severstal is minimal anyway). Also, it is mentioned that 2022 funding is already in place and with teams like Yugra spending around 200m rubles in the VHL they won't even save much by dropping a league.

Some of the news is here - «Северсталь» рассмотрит вариант ухода из КХЛ but plenty of links to find and read

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
"Lack of funds" would be a very interesting excuse for Mordashov, who is still the richest Russian oligarch even though he is under sanctions. Still he would be happy to get rid of the team and could use that excuse, although there is a good chance he'd receive a call about the importance of being responsible in the current situation.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Vityaz will move from their hometown Podolsk to Balashikha (Moscow), saying its 'closer to Moscow, better infrastructure and fan base'

Doesn't sound great for their actual fans though?

They play in a 5,5000 seat arena and have never had more than 4.200 average attendance for a season. Their average is in the 3.000s and are constant bottom 5 in attendance. I am to guess the thought is they can't do worse than they are doing right now. If you cannot even sell out in a small arena, try your luck elsewhere.

Reactions: Rigafan

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think the wealthiest clubs in Europe should branch out and make their own super league. A couple teams form the KHL, SHL, Liiga, extra, etc.

Obviously won’t happen, but it would be really coole to see an actual euro league.

Reactions: Lackhalak

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I think the wealthiest clubs in Europe should branch out and make their own super league. A couple teams form the KHL, SHL, Liiga, extra, etc.

Obviously won’t happen, but it would be really coole to see an actual euro league.

It would be "really coole" to see the super league collapse after two years for the 6 pages of evidence and demonstrated reasons you obviously didn't read through before posting this while ruining the fiscally responsible and financially sustainable growth they've had in the last 15 years?

Or would it be even more "really coole" to see not a single team or ownership group consider the offer to create a super league? And for every team's fan group to ridicule and rip apart the super league idea on top of that?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Just let it go. It's not happening. Hockey is too small a sport in Europe.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I think that the intent of creating the KHL was for Russia to create a methodology to return to the days when Russian teams were dominant contenders in international tournaments. From that standpoint, it is a complete failure, as recent WC and Olympic Games where NHL talent was unavailable has shown. It has also failed in providing top level entertainment to Russian domestic audiences, mainly because it was impossible to keep top-level talents away from the NHL. If you are good, you are gone, so to speak. There aren't enough really talented players to get excited about. Also, there is no parity in the league, since some oligarchs are much richer than others. That is a return to more or less the same position that the RSL was in, and there is no visible prospect of exceeding that level of mediocrity.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad