Speculation: Can Montreal land a mega-star in the next 10 years or so?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Maybe we have a mega star in our midst already and maybe we should look at what we already have instead of what we need.

Not if we want the Habs to win a Stanley Cup within the decade, the Habs were good against Eastern Division opponents, but are sorely lacking the offence to compete with our Western Division opponents. There are at least 6 teams from the West that would embarrass the Habs in a Stanley Cup Final, IMHO.:nod:

Saintpatrick*

Galchenyuk could be our super star if a certain coach's pet wasn't taking his spot. If he doesn't get top 6 minutes at center within the next two seasons it could seriously hurt his development.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Galchenyuk could be our super star if a certain coach's pet wasn't taking his spot. If he doesn't get top 6 minutes at center within the next two seasons it could seriously hurt his development.

lol@this post

If Galchenyuk was ready or nearly ready to be our superstar, he'd easily wrestle the position from DD.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
lol@this post

If Galchenyuk was ready or nearly ready to be our superstar, he'd easily wrestle the position from DD.
He should've wrestled it away from DD last year but our coach is in the way.

Should Cube have been on the PP? No. Hell, should he even have been in the lineup? No. But our coach does what he wants to do. Don't think for a second though that this validates an opinion that Galchenyuk isn't as good as DD or better.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
He should've wrestled it away from DD last year but our coach is in the way.

Should Cube have been on the PP? No. Hell, should he even have been in the lineup? No. But our coach does what he wants to do. Don't think for a second though that this validates an opinion that Galchenyuk isn't as good as DD or better.

We're talking about a Crosby/OV/etc-level superstar according to OP, right ?

MauriceTheGreat*

Don't you know the rule? DD is this and DD is that, because of him Galchenyuk is no Crosby. Damn DD!!!!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Come on people...when I said "Let's turn every thread into a DD one"...I was joking....;)

Lionel Mandrake

Why settle for a mega-star. We should only look into giga-stars from this point on.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Price… Subban… Galch…

we've got more budding/established superstars/mega-stars than we've had in decades.

priority should be on maximizing their development (galch at center anyone?) and building the necessary pieces around them for a long run of contention.

young cap-friendly talent : Patches, Gallagher, Eller, Tinordi, Beaulieu, (tbd Emelin, Bournival, and any of the upcoming prospects)

Check

solid veterans on reasonable contracts : Pleks, Markov, Parenteau(TBD), Bourque (p/o bourque yeah, other version nay),

Check

solid veterans on cap friendly deals : Gilbert, Maholtra (both TBD)

could do for some more work in that area…

Limit bad contracts or players whose impact doesn't fit/justify their role and usage : Desharnais, Bourque (regular season thus far)…

not terrible, but as long as DD's presence limits Galch development opportunities, it's an issue… hopefully we don't see bouillion brought back for the same reason (re. tinordi/beaulieu)

we're in a good situation. As long as we avoid making more of the Briere/Desharnais type mistakes and do a better job of mining for low-risk "high" upside vets in the UFA/trade market to fill specific needs at below market value.

Price, Subban, Galch is a pretty stellar young talent base to work with at the key positions (provided MT doesn't mess up Galch's progression into an NHL center, which he clearly has the skill sets to be).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's talking about a big star forward yes. And I don't think we need that level to win. We've got stars at other positions.

And there's no way to get one other than to draft one or trade for him before he becomes one. Very, very difficult to get superstar scorers in their prime.

Galchenyuk is not going to be a mega star but he could be a top shelf 1st liner. We have to give him more opportunities than we have. We've already got a superstar goalie and blueliner. We've got a star forward. If we could add another star center (or develop one) then we'd be in really, really good shape.

I don't see us landing a true superstar forward. You'd have to give up a king's ransom and its something we just don't have. Best we could hope for is a rental on a star forward ala Vanek from last year.

To your point though... that Galchenyuk can't even beat out DD for the role of first line center, that's nonsense. Our coach is in the way, that's the only reason.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal

We're talking about a mega star here not a potentially #1 center.

Galchenyuk is nowhere near a "mega star"

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
We're talking about a mega star here not a potentially #1 center.

Galchenyuk is nowhere near a "mega star"

It's not even guaranteed Galchenyuk will be the "superstar" many here peg him for, let alone a "mega star". The kid's got a lot of growing to do as a hockey player.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

I wouldn't go that far. Compare Galchenyuk and Seguin. The latter was putting up damn good numbers and practically forced Boston to either put him at center or make a trade. Galchenyuk isn't there yet (and may never be), even if he would benefit from not having DD in his way.

ByeByeBylsma*

Wait: At 9mil per anum, isn't Subban a mega star...??

Here's to that. A shame it took such a fight for Montreal's management to give up the bucks.

In a league where Toews and Kane just set the standard bycommanding $10.5 M a piece and God knows what'll happen with Stamkos in a couple of years, elite talent has its price.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs have certainly built a great team base over the last few yrs., whether they are mega stars or were parts of stars isn't really a concern for this guy! Carey Price, IMHO is already the best goalie in the world, PK Subban has become a great defenceman, learning from some really good dmen in Montreal.(Hal Gill, Josh Gorges, Roman Hamrlik, Andrei [the little General] Markov and numerous others on his way) Max Pacioretty has honed his skills to near perfect shooting, compared with the first few seasons, always in great shape.(nearly zero body fat every year as a Hab) Now I haven't got enough time to give every player a write up, but they all work their butts off trying to be the best they can entertaining the fanbase. None of them deserve any type of abuse, however insignificant it may be, time to realize they are people that try to be exemplary citizens and role models for the children that watch the Habs. Oh yeah, Galchenyuk has just started to bring it during the playoffs after his injury, I guess he thought he was Pacioretty(Wolverine) no worries this kid is going to amaze, just like his ex-roommate Brendan Gallagher the guy that just keeps skating, hitting and yakking it up all the time he's on the ice.

In closing, just cheer on our team, they are going to win the Stanley Cup within 3years, IMHO. What that counts for I don't know, but it's surprising how many bets I win, so don't bet against that happening, OK!:handclap:

Saintpatrick*

lol@this post

How many games has Chucky been allowed to play center exactly? Hard to wrestle DD's position away from him when he hasn't been given the chance. I'm not talking about a few games here and there that he's been getting I'm talking about 20-30 games at center in a row.

I wouldn't go that far. Compare Galchenyuk and Seguin. The latter was putting up damn good numbers and practically forced Boston to either put him at center or make a trade. Galchenyuk isn't there yet (and may never be), even if he would benefit from not having DD in his way.

The thing is Boston eventually gave Segin the opportunity to play at center. The EGG line was lighting it up at the beginning of last year and Chucky was putting up pretty good numbers but was broken up to get DD going. Not bashing DD I'm putting the blame on Therrien and the favoritism he shows DD.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I must say...

P.K. is pretty big right now, it's his personality, not just his hockey.

Now he's got the money, if he get's the "C" he's got the power, but hey where the F is the women?

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Most entertaining player in NHL (imo)
Superstar
Megastar
Mega Playoffs Warrior
Whatever you want to call him...he's a Hab!! (PK Subban, of course!).

Chelios...traded him...#$%^&*#%**%!
Roy...booed him/traded him for nothing...#$%%^&*#%!

PK Subban...fans better not boo Subbie, and management better not trade him (for some reason this happens to the players who win CUPS for us:shakehead:cry:).

And we have a superstar goalie (Price).

Star center in the making...Galchenyuk.

All is well...we just have to keep them and not boo them this time. Still can't beleive some fans booed Roy ('86 Cup, '89 Cup Finals, '93 Cup...some Hab fans sometimes:shakehead).

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The Habs currently have the most "star power" they've had in decades.

Price and Subban are legitimate superstars. Can't really achieve a much higher status than these two in this league. Unless you're called Crosby or Ovechkin. In which case, the question should be, when will the Habs draft their next generational talent? To which I reply, maybe, if we're lucky, once over the next hundred years.

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Living in Toronto Pk is an obvious star.

He's black and from Toronto, and a captain of a Canadian team making play off runs..

The amount of leaf conversions he's doing in this town are unreal.

I can't imagine anyone doing better either than stamkos, and even he wouldn't cross all demographics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad