Speculation: Can Montreal land a mega-star in the next 10 years or so?

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I sense Bergy is up to something, we definitely have room for an addition with the cap space, but I think we're good with what we have now.

We have a world-class goaltender, a very good defensive squad, and adequate offense.

We're only missing a guy like Toews or an all-star RW to spark the offense.

Don't forget we have Chucky. He could be the guy very soon.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
All I want to add is that if you think Koviu was close then I want the pills you are on.

The best way to get the mega superstars is finish last and draft them, want to do that?

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
All I want to add is that if you think Koviu was close then I want the pills you are on.

The best way to get the mega superstars is finish last and draft them, want to do that?

Yes.....? McDavid 1C /Galchenyuk 2C ------>:hyper:

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
What mega stars have been available for us to get anyways?

Suter? Seguin? Habs had no chance of getting those 2.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Maybe Molson can have a chat with Charles Wang and his co-owners about selling John Tavares to the Habs. This would give them a distinct advantage in the lottery the yrs. following the 2015 Entry Draft, in which they traded their 1st to Buffalo. But if they sold him to the Habs say at the trade deadline, it wouldn't be so hard to take especially with gaining the Habs 1st in 2015/2016/2017 along with DD so they would have a good offensive center still. Just a thought, I really can't remember the Habs last blockbuster trade that went in their favor. It seems like the Habs have been giving away players for nothing forever, I assume too help the lower teams reach parity.

The list of players given away over the last three decades or more is atrocious,IMHO. The last time trades worked was for the 1993 team, before Bergevin & Dudley came on board, there should be favors stacked up for yrs. from all the guys that walked away under the UFA status from Montreal, IMHO.:nod:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Maybe Molson can have a chat with Charles Wang and his co-owners about selling John Tavares to the Habs. This would give them a distinct advantage in the lottery the yrs. following the 2015 Entry Draft, in which they traded their 1st to Buffalo. But if they sold him to the Habs say at the trade deadline, it wouldn't be so hard to take especially with gaining the Habs 1st in 2015/2016/2017 along with DD so they would have a good offensive center still. Just a thought, I really can't remember the Habs last blockbuster trade that went in their favor. It seems like the Habs have been giving away players for nothing forever, I assume too help the lower teams reach parity.

The list of players given away over the last three decades or more is atrocious,IMHO. The last time trades worked was for the 1993 team, before Bergevin & Dudley came on board, there should be favors stacked up for yrs. from all the guys that walked away under the UFA status from Montreal, IMHO.:nod:

I'm pretty sure if Molson wants Tavares he's going to have to buy the NYI. Truth be told with all the buyouts, their small market arena and lack of success he's the only thing that has value in that franchise(I'm exaggerating). Trading Tavares is a huge no no for that franchise(or any for that matter).

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Outside of Pittsburgh, which took two mega superstars, how many of leagues best have taken their teams to the Stanley Cup?

You need multiple stars with quality depth, not just a superstar

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

Seguin? Mega star? I just spat my beer all over my computer. Thank god it's only an Alpine Lager.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

I just wanted to say that the trade for Tomas Vanek was the arguably the most block buster trade of the deadline... And it was in our favour.

I'd also consider Cole for Ryder a block buster trade.

When we traded Cole he was a 60 point player just the year before. It's akin to if pacioretty started this year in a slump, then we traded him.

If by blockbuster you mean someone like Carey or P.K. going in a trade... You'll be waiting a long time. 'Face of the Franchise' guy's don't get traded often anymore.. Bettman will block the trade. It has to do with money and marketing.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I think Subban is already better than Suter. Good chance Galchenyuk can be better than Seguin. We've got Price already.

By the way OP, is a megastar better than a superstar, or between an ultrastar and an uberstar? Is he merely generational, or epochal?

Christ, I can't wait for actual hockey.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I think Subban is already better than Suter. Good chance Galchenyuk can be better than Seguin. We've got Price already.

By the way OP, is a megastar better than a superstar, or between an ultrastar and an uberstar? Is he merely generational, or epochal?

Maybe one of our posters here would be inclined to ask Don & Ron on Coaches Corner to give the breakdown on these most difficult questions for us peons or is that pee-ons? I just don't know these days, with all the new fangled Ideas!:sarcasm:

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Seguin? Mega star? I just spat my beer all over my computer. Thank god it's only an Alpine Lager.

Semantics (mega star, superstar, elite player, etc). Anyways if a ppg #1 C isn't a star player then I don't see why people are throwing in Galchenyuk's name itt.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Stars are drafted not acquired. If we want one we need to draft him. Since we don't look like a lottery team, we will have to sell a good player for a draft pick and get lucky or we will have to hit the jackpot one year with a Getzlaf-Giroux style pick.

I'll argue we already drafted at least 2(Subban and Price), and possibly have already drafted the offensive star in Galchenyuk. Who knows, we may have to rebuild after PK's new contract. (Or not.) 10 years is a long time.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Let's just see. Right now this argument seems at best optimistic until Galchenyuk shows he can take over games.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

How can you even claim that. I love Galchenyuk and thinks he has a lot of upside but I really don't see what Galchenyuk did so far so that you can say that Galchenyuk has good chance to be better than a guy that just scored 37 goals and 84 pts in 80 games.

Not saying that Galchenyuk will never be a 80 pts player but I think it's a little bit too soon to claim that Galchenyuk have good chance to be better than Seguin, who I think will confirm his place in the ELITE category next season.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
How can you even claim that. I love Galchenyuk and thinks he has a lot of upside but I really don't see what Galchenyuk did so far so that you can say that Galchenyuk has good chance to be better than a guy that just scored 37 goals and 84 pts in 80 games.

Not saying that Galchenyuk will never be a 80 pts player but I think it's a little bit too soon to claim that Galchenyuk have good chance to be better than Seguin, who I think will confirm his place in the ELITE category next season.

If I had said... good chance he will be better.... that would be jumping the gun. Seguin is obviously currently a superior player, but don't forget he's 2 years older and has an extra year of junior hockey under his belt.

Galchenyuk has some crazy skills and plays a very cerebral game. He definitely needs more minutes, and tougher ones at that. I agree that time will tell.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs certainly have two in Price & Subban, Pacioretty is very close to breaking into their company as is Galchenyuk. That's 4 high quality NHLers, another great Dman would certainly help the Habs offence, Eller has developed into a possibility at center behind Galchenyuk. Not a mega star, but very competent two way center, that will give the Habs a good one-two punch at center within 2-3 yrs.

Entry Drafts like the 2013 & 2015 strong and deep drafts certainly give the Habs a good chance of drafting a possible star player that falls to them.(like Teravainen did in 2013 to the Chicago Blackhawks) So it's not without precedence, depending on where the Habs finish in the regular season. If Carey Price were to be injured out for the season, the Habs with all the rookies in the lineup, could be in for a very long season. Possibly low enough in the standings for a Top Five pick, perhaps winning the lottery, which would allow them to draft Connor McDavid.

McDavid would definitely rank as a mega star, he's a generational player, one the Habs could build a dynasty around. That's really dreaming though, but like I said in 2013 there were many prospects that will become stars in the NHL. The Habs will have a greater opportunity to draft a player of star quality in the 2015 draft, than in most yrs.other than Galchenyuk's when they finished last in the East.

Many fans are looking at N.Roy (C/RW) as a possibility, with good reason IMHO. His game at the Ivan Hlinka tournament was impressive, another player that have fans interest is J.Roy(RHD). Very talented offensive Dman that plays solid positional hockey and could be a first pairing Dman with Subban. Or split them with Beaulieu & Tinordi, giving the Habs a great defence, Roy with Tinordi as his partner, Beaulieu & Subban making our Top Four Dmen.

The Habs are very close to having an Elite SC contending team, for yrs. to come. A couple of good draft picks like the two Roy's could be exactly what the Habs need to become SC Champions again.:nod::nod:

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Scherbak could very easily turn into a 90 point RW some day; the only reason he was'nt top 15 or top 10 was because he was on the weakest team in the CHL. Ehlers would have easily been the top pick if he was 5'9-6'0-6'1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad