Post-Game Talk: Can-do-no-wrong Bolts win in Shootout!

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Thought that Gallagher had his best game of the season. He showed speed on the forecheck, was hard on the puck in the offensive zone and battled in front of the Tampa net all game long. Took more abuse than most of our players and should have drawn multiple penalties that would have been called in most other arenas.

Funny, one of my staffers, a huge Leafs fan, said he fears facing Tampa in the playoffs because of the favourable refereeing the Bolts always seem to benefit from. He may be right. Despite his misguided loyalties.
On the other hand, Kovacevic had his worse game of the season. Some of his miscues were almost comical to watch as he flubbed shots and flopped around on the ice like a drunken seal.

Harris, despite his many detractors here, had a solid game using his above average speed to make multiple recoveries and was a calm presence in our defensive zone. This kid has a place in the NHL, whether with Canadiens, or with another team if we are foolish enough to trade him.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The NHL wants Tampa in the playoffs, there is no doubt about it. The refs turned a blind eye to quite a bit last night, the most biased ref job I have watched all season. We needed the loss but we outplayed them in the first and then spent most of the second period short-handed. They ran interference all night and the high stick "missed" call on Evans had me in a fit of sarcastic laughter but we got called for everything lol.

I don't usually give a shit about the officiating but there are games when the outcomes are 'nudged along" and it isn't just Habs games, I watch plenty of other teams. There is big money at stake with certain outcomes. You can disagree with me but please refrain from tin foil hat shade in my direction, you can simply agree or disagree and move on.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
They are making progress as a young team. These young players are learning a ton. Progress

Credit where credit is due, Habs put together two consecutive strong games and pushed two of the toughest teams to face to the SO.

Useless point in terms of the tank. But these last two games is a step in the right direction.

Considering the amount of 1 goal losses and OT losses despite the injuries and the youth, I think this team is growing and going into the right direction. As the youth gets in the roster and they gain more experience, the playoffs might be closer than I thought.
Agree completely. After this summer, we'll have three top picks and a bunch of promising prospects to show for three years of bad hockey. Next year we should start cashing in on all that potential. Progress isn't just expected, it's essential. I'm not expecting to make the playoffs next season, but I am expecting to be in the conversation, bobbing around a wildcard spot. Look at Detroit – they were terrible three/four years ago, .500 last year, and a playoff team this season. Habs' roster has more potential than the Wings; hopefully we start seeing it in the standings.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Agree completely. After this summer, we'll have three top picks and a bunch of promising prospects to show for three years of bad hockey. Next year we should start cashing in on all that potential. Progress isn't just expected, it's essential. I'm not expecting to make the playoffs next season, but I am expecting to be in the conversation, bobbing around a wildcard spot. Look at Detroit – they were terrible three/four years ago, .500 last year, and a playoff team this season. Habs' roster has more potential than the Wings; hopefully we start seeing it in the standings.
The problem is Price contract. If somehow a team wants the contract after the bonus payment, then Hughes will have the required flexibility to make a move to win now. But I think it will be more probable at summer 25.

Last edited:

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
sorry lads, was flipping between Canada - Costa rica, CF Mtl and Habs. my unsolicited thoughts.

big boy hockey. TB knows how to win, plays extremely dirty, has a large defence that is also dirty and runs loads of interference and most of the habs stood up.

-we see the importance of Arber, holy shit, the liberties TB was taking. He played great, physical, solid first pass...he's coming along.
-Thought Guhle also had a good game - the D in general was relatively solid.
-1st line was invisible. They played against an elite checking line and were contained. Up until CC's goal (Anderson's goal?), which was because of Anderson at the net, CC was invisible; playing the periphery and doing very little. I love him but he worries me because of how small he is and ineffective vs large physical defences.
-We see the importance of having big forwards in a game like this. We see when Anderson decides to wake up. slaf also played well. Armia too.
-Whats the point of Ylonen if he can't even score in the SO? no goals in 39 games. They needed Pezz tonight. Stupid not to dress him. maybe they're shopping jesse.

sweet dreams suckers!
CC got robbed by Vasilevsky at least twice on very good opportunities right in the slot, plus he created the 3rd goal with his shot. Was not invisible at all yesterday.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Everytime I've seen ylonen in the shootout, he beats the goalie but just can't finish. It would be maddening if it wasn't comical at this point.

Reactions: Pomee

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Thought that Gallagher had his best game of the season. He showed speed on the forecheck, was hard on the puck in the offensive zone and battled in front of the Tampa net all game long. Took more abuse than most of our players and should have drawn multiple penalties that would have been called in most other arenas.

Funny, one of my staffers, a huge Leafs fan, said he fears facing Tampa in the playoffs because of the favourable refereeing the Bolts always seem to benefit from. He may be right. Despite his misguided loyalties.

It's been happening for a long time. I remember Sergechev driving gallaghers' head into the ice and cutting him open. I know Gallagher doesn't get calls, but that play symbolized the level of tolerance the officials have for them.

Anyways, this era is coming to a close for them. The officiating won't be giving them the same leniancies as this group continues to fade.

Reactions: dcyhabs

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
I get tanking but that the same time in order to do that we’d have to play poorly aka zero or negative development which we’ve seen on D and no growth on the bottom 6. Losing games where they outplay the opponent is fine but at some point winning trumps any tank. Being a bubble team next year for example…would you just want to keep tanking? I keep thinking that some people on here don’t understand gradual improvement lol

I clearly am conflicted here. It’s like a morals thing to me

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The problem is Price contract. If somehow a team wants the contract after the bonus payment, then Hughes will have the required flexibility to make a move to win now. But I think it will be more probable at summer 25.
Luckily, next season isn't the time to win-now. At least, it shouldn't be. I'm expecting progress, not miracles. We can achieve that with our existing roster, without adding new players or big contracts. That extra year of experience should make a difference, provided key players (like Dach) are healthy.

Price's contract will be an issue the year after, in 2025/26. By then, we should be competitive. It's Price's final year on the books; either we flip his contract to a team just starting its own rebuild or we work around it for one last season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Luckily, next season isn't the time to win-now. At least, it shouldn't be. I'm expecting progress, not miracles. We can achieve that with our existing roster, without adding new players or big contracts. That extra year of experience should make a difference, provided key players (like Dach) are healthy.

Price's contract will be an issue the year after, in 2025/26. By then, we should be competitive. It's Price's final year on the books; either we flip his contract to a team just starting its own rebuild or we work around it for one last season.
Why is the Price contract an issue? He's on LTIR so that shouldn't matter as it doesn't count against the cap.

Reactions: Andrei79 and Tyson

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
There was speculation Arizona would want his contract to reach the cap. There would be some savings cap vs real salary. We’ll see where they stand relative to the cap floor next season.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Very solid effort again last night. They're playing their best hockey of season in this stretch. It'll be a fun season next year if we add a nice piece or two!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00