Confirmed with Link: Cammy and DSP being bought out

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So... Does this bring us below the floor? Does it mean we have to add a significant free agent to get there? :)

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
That's exactly what it is clearing space for kids to play. You don't make this move before you make a trade or signing you do it after.

The window to talk to UFAs has been open for a week practically. As pointed out the buyout deadline was today, you can't make this move after. More likely is he was trying to see if he could get anything from someone before doing this or waiting to hear if a player was open to committing.

We had space for kids to play before these moves are made. We're not rolling half the forward lines with young players at the start of the season. It's waiving a white flag to the rest of the league as well as fans and prospective season ticket holders. THAT is something no team does.

It seems pretty clear that Ray has irons in the fire and we're going to see activity over the next few days.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I think we're ~$7 million below the floor

once we sign all our RFAs and stuff we should get there.

Yea, pretty damn close if not all. Severson, Noesen, Mueller, Blandisi alone likely eat up most of it by themselves if we assume Severson gets 3-4 per and figure 1-2 for Mueller.

The floor is not an issue whatsoever nor are the moves a harbinger of a big splash.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm fairly confident there were a lot of people saying it was too long. Ripping it? No but a lot of people definitely questioned it.

It seemed most of the people who weren't happy with it were more mad that we weren't blowing it up and rebuilding and instead signing another 30+ year old UFA.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Surprised to see Cammalleri getting bought out – last year was tough, but he had a good first two seasons with NJ and I thought he could’ve had a bounce back year. So either Ray is looking for more of a youth movement and/or he has some free agent forwards lined up. Though Cammalleri would often help the youth movement by being injured a few times a year.

At least the cap hit isn’t too bad at $1.67MM for 4 years. Would rather absorb more of hit now while they’re so far away from being a cap team, but I doubt that really hurts NJ in years 3-4 either.

Would be nice to see Nico wearing #13, even if it is in one of those hideous new jerseys.

So right now the Devils have just 5 definite forwards in Hall, Zajac, Palmieri, Henrique and Zacha. Noesen, Wood, Nico and one of Bennett or Josefson (likely Bennett) should all make the team as well, bringing the total to 9.

That leaves 5 spots open for UFA’s or younger players like McLeod, Speers, Blandisi, Lappin, Quennville, Coleman, or Pietila to fight for.

So see Ray signing a player or two in UFA.

Glad to see DSP gone.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Why?

$25 million for 5 years for a guy who scored as much as he had up to that point? Aside from him already being often injured and the contract taking him to age 36, what exactly was wrong with it?

A horrible deal? Rolston was a horrible deal, Volchenkov was a horrible deal, the second Zubrus contract was a horrible deal.

Certainly seemed like a fair contract at the time. If anything, people were concerned about the 5th year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Possible one of the trades or two that Shero is trying to get done involves contracts coming back? Maybe that is why he felt we needed to clear space and money.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Henrique was rotating it with Camm if I am correct. Wonder if they just give to Rico or continue to rotate it.

If that's the case, yeah maybe just Zajac and Henrique with the A's...though NJ has said they want to see Hall take more of a leadership role this season, so maybe he's in it as well.

Wouldn't mind a home/away rotation between Zajac, Henrique, Hall and Palms.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Would be nice if the Sharks bought out Boedker and re-signed Marleau and Thornton and we get Shattenkirk and I'd be really happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad