Confirmed with Link: Cammy and DSP being bought out

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
i really don't get buying out Cam. We don't need the space, and his value is awful right now.

You don't need to buy him out to take on any contracts, since you can be 10% above the cap ceiling.

And if anything, you give other teams more options in free agency for a LW (assuming there is any traction w/ Kovalchuk).

As far as DSP? Meh who cares. I'm glad we re-signed him last year. You had to. But it turns out he was only a flash in the pan for that one ~20 game stretch

Edit: Before this past season, Cammalleri had: GP = 779, Goals = 277, Assists = 305, 582 point. 582 points in 779 games, which is like .61 ppg.

I get how bad he looked last year. But to cut bait on that asset. You gotta wonder if it was an aberration? His MO was that he would get hurt, but would always produce.

Last edited:

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Thank the lord Camm is gone. His tenure here was nothing but constant frustration. Stinks that they had to go the buyout route but no one was touching that contract. I'm still surprised they did it though.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
i really don't get buying out Cam. We don't need the space, and his value is awful right now.

I think it just comes down to the team wanting to open up a spot for Blandisi or Quenneville to earn. If Nico's competing for a center spot, that's gonna push Henrique or Zacha to left wing as well.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think the organization was just done with Cammalleri. Unfortunately they picked the worst option to dispose of him, but he also might be finished.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think it just comes down to the team wanting to open up a spot for Blandisi or Quenneville to earn. If Nico's competing for a center spot, that's gonna push Henrique or Zacha to left wing as well.

Ya open up a spot for a young guy.

The fact that it was a Lou guy signing I'm sure it made it easier for Shero when pushing the idea to ownership.

I think the organization was just done with Cammalleri. Unfortunately they picked the worst option to dispose of him, but he also might be finished.

Agree, in addition to always being hurt, and being not part of the direction this team was heading, Camm didn't much look like he wanted to be out there. And when Shero talked of wanting more intensity how could you not think of Camm in that regard.

Someone noted DSP's lazy play late in a game, but Camm had that icing shooting on an open net late in a game when he could have just skated the clock out.

Was benched soon after.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
i'm fairly (as in some amount more than 0%) than Camm's play was a bit of a mirage last season, since the whole team was a horrible garbage fire. But it's hard to expect any rebound out of him when you can only count on about 50 games a season from him. I think he's still a much better hockey player than he showed last year, but even with a bit of a resurgence i doubt we would've gotten much for him at the deadline or otherwise, assuming he was ever healthy enough to trade.

I think that this is mostly about cutting bait with the last of Lou's moves and opening up spots for better, younger players. Cap space is just a bonus.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
We definitely need space on LW

1LW - Hall
2LW - One of Zacha/Henrique
3LW - One of Zacha/Henrique, Blandisi, Wood, or Quenneville
4LW - Noesen, Coleman, Pietila, etc.

LW is arguably our strongest side and we have plenty of left-handed left wings in the system or the prospect pool. Depending on how the center situation shakes out, we may even have both Zacha and Henrique at LW.

Cammalleri has been pushed out to 3LW with the addition of Hall and he's pretty useless there, as we saw last year.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
We definitely need space on LW

1LW - Hall
2LW - One of Zacha/Henrique
3LW - One of Zacha/Henrique, Blandisi, Wood, or Quenneville
4LW - Noesen, Coleman, Pietila, etc.

LW is arguably our strongest side and we have plenty of left-handed left wings in the system or the prospect pool. Depending on how the center situation shakes out, we may even have both Zacha and Henrique at LW.

Cammalleri has been pushed out to 3LW with the addition of Hall and he's pretty useless there, as we saw last year.
I would expect Blandisi to be 4th line center, Noesen to be 4th line RW.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Cammy getting bought means Rico is not getting moved.

We might have a lot of LW's but not a lot of vet lw's.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Me as well.

Then hopefully JQ pushes his way into there either this year oe next.

I think Q will push his way in this year, maybe at the start, maybe midseason, but if he doesn't push his way in by next year, he might never.

I know that's writing a guy off early, but I think the timeline doesn't extend further out then that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad