Confirmed with Link: Cammy and DSP being bought out

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Another Lou contract erased by Shero

I don't think any of us really thought of that as a bad contract, up until about 6 months ago and even if he scored 40-ish points (probably would have missed enough games not to do so) it wouldn't have been a bad contract.

Of all the contracts you could rip Lou on, I don't think this was one at all.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I don't think any of us really thought of that as a bad contract, up until about 6 months ago and even if he scored 40-ish points (probably would have missed enough games not to do so) it wouldn't have been a bad contract.

I wasn't ripping it, it was more that every contract Lou handed out not named zajac,palmier Shero had essentially gotten rid of

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This is important to note.

It's perfectly fine to go with a youth movement, but too much responsibility can stunt development. What their responsibilities are matters a ton too.

I can't see any more than 4 rooks/young forwards on the team at one time regularly
and this includes Zacha. Zacha, Hischier, maybe McLeod, and one of the Blandisi/JQ/Wood crew, or two of them if McLeod isn't ready.

I expect we could see as many as 6 young guys in the lineup for stretches.

Maybe even more later in the season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I never liked it. Older oft injured player.

But effective, until this season where he just looked uninterested/unmotivated. I still look at off ice issues as a possible reasoning and kind of thought he could rebound.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Yes. Clearing a roster space and cap space. Hope it is for Shatty

Also Cammy sucks so

we could sign Shatty 3 times over even without the buyout. this doesnt indicate anything other than getting rid of an old Lou contract

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
IMO Camm being bought out is very much about the young kids playing, I'd be pretty surprised if they brought in a LW.

DSP was just dead weight.

RW is the spot that needs attention, but that was needed regardless of Camm.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The issue with a Cammalleri buyout is that it goes on the cap for four years. I'm fine with buying him out, but they couldn't trade him at 50% retention for a 7th round pick? That to me is better than a buyout - it's cheaper and it saves that cap room in Years 3 and 4.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
The issue with a Cammalleri buyout is that it goes on the cap for four years. I'm fine with buying him out, but they couldn't trade him at 50% retention for a 7th round pick? That to me is better than a buyout - it's cheaper and it saves that cap room in Years 3 and 4.

They tried trading him for the last year. Apparently no one wanted him

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Lavoie said they have been trying to trade him since last year, so I guess not.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

I wish I was here when he was signed it was a horrible deal.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Lavoie said they have been trying to trade him since last year, so I guess not.

Right, but how much salary were they willing to retain in that deal, or how much were they willing to take back? I'm just skeptical that no one wanted Cammalleri at 2.5M for 2 more years, but maybe it's the 2 years that's the issue. Or maybe Cammalleri nixed all the deals with his NTC thinking he can get paid more this way, but I'm skeptical of that too.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If the Devils are going to do salary retention with Kovalchuk, then buying Cammalleri out versus trading him could make some sense because they'd only be down to one salary retention slot, but would they really need two more, and how can they count on Kovalchuk actually signing?

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Wasn't DSP the one who had that massive lazy gaffe in the final minutes of a tied game in the latter part of the season? I think Hynes called him out on it in the presser.

Correctomundo. I don't recall which game it was, but that was basically the end of his time here.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
IMO Camm being bought out is very much about the young kids playing, I'd be pretty surprised if they brought in a LW.

DSP was just dead weight.

RW is the spot that needs attention, but that was needed regardless of Camm.

That's exactly what it is clearing space for kids to play. You don't make this move before you make a trade or signing you do it after.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Why?

$25 million for 5 years for a guy who scored as much as he had up to that point? Aside from him already being often injured and the contract taking him to age 36, what exactly was wrong with it?

A horrible deal? Rolston was a horrible deal, Volchenkov was a horrible deal, the second Zubrus contract was a horrible deal.

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey

It wasn't really viewed as a bad contract at the time - if anything, the reaction was very positive; some of the deals that free agency were disgusting, and we got a solid, proven scoring winger which we needed desperately at a fair price

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I'm fairly confident there were a lot of people saying it was too long. Ripping it? No but a lot of people definitely questioned it.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
well yea, except the buyout window closes today at 5pm.

If anyone files for arbitration on the Devils, the second buyout window would've opened sometime in August and the Devils could've bought Cammalleri out then. The Devils have several arbitration-eligible players and they could do the old trick they used to do with Mark Fraser to open up this window.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If anyone files for arbitration on the Devils, the second buyout window would've opened sometime in August and the Devils could've bought Cammalleri out then. The Devils have several arbitration-eligible players and they could do the old trick they used to do with Mark Fraser to open up this window.

fair point. I had forgotten about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad