Cam Ward removes own mask as Rangers shot enters net (gif and rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This is how a real man does it:

No ref coming to bail him out.

Yeah been there, done that:

camwardsave.png

Godlike13

Dec 20, 2011
This issue is ridicules. The real miss call was the non goalie interference call (Looks like Brassard though the puck was under Ward or something). How can u guys complain when its the Rangers that got away with one.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
That looks like there should have been goaltender interference called before that even happened. It sure looked like the Ranger jabbed Ward in the back of the head and that is goaltender interference at least.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Aside from the rule where play should have continued

Which doesn't apply, because there was no scoring chance at right that moment. The rule is meant for scenes where the puck gets put in right away, for example a rebound, not when the team first had to gain possession of the puck prior to creating a chance.

And yes, that probably should have been goaltender interference, so if anything the Rangers got lucky.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Which doesn't apply, because there was no scoring chance at right that moment. The rule is meant for scenes where the puck gets put in right away, for example a rebound, not when the team first had to gain possession of the puck prior to creating a chance.

And yes, that probably should have been goaltender interference, so if anything the Rangers got lucky.

I mean no scoring chance aside from the goal that was scored

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Calling that a punch to the back of Ward's head is really reaching. There was incidental contact, but that wasn't the call on the play as indicated by where the face off was no?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I am neither a Carolina fan or a NYR fan but honestly, c'mon people. Ward removed the mask the moment he could like he should. This is not the first time a goalie has done this so I don't understand why so many people are not getting the point.

edit: Upon further review I am not even sure Cam Ward even knew where the puck was and blindly removed his helmet. So to say he removed it just because the Rangers were in a scoring position is ludicrous.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I am neither a Carolina fan or a NYR fan but honestly, c'mon people. Ward removed the mask the moment he could like he should. This is not the first time a goalie has done this so I don't understand why so many people are not getting the point.

He can take his mask off, I don't really care about that. According to the rule book play should not have been stopped.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
did his mask break because that offensive player hit him in the back of the head, breaking his mask?!?!?!? based on the gif that is what it looks like happened...

Davebo*

He can take his mask off, I don't really care about that. According to the rule book play should not have been stopped.

So - a rangers goal is more important to you than player safety? Unreal...

Goal doesn't count as play is dead as soon as that mask comes off. The ranger player shouldn't have shot the puck - then you - and apparently only you - wouldn't feel so bad.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Nothing feels safer than a puck incoming at 100 mph towards you without a mask on.

It happened within half a second of each other.

How is this thread still going, and how are people trying to vilify Ward for this? The referee saw Ward remove his mask while losing sight of the puck. It's really as simple as that.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I mean no scoring chance aside from the goal that was scored

Which happened way after the mask got damaged. You can even see that Ward reacts to his mask being broken, and that is way prior to a shot being fired at the net. Simply put, at the time the ref noticed something was wrong, there was no scoring chance whatsoever.

Again, the Rangers had to regain possession of the puck first, that isn't an immediate scoring chance anymore.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
It happened within half a second of each other.

How is this thread still going, and how are people trying to vilify Ward for this? The referee saw Ward remove his mask while losing sight of the puck. It's really as simple as that.

Vilify? I'm just questioning the 'it's a safety first move to take off your helmet while you lose the sight of the puck and there might be a puck incoming straight to your face.
:)

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Nothing feels safer than a puck incoming at 100 mph towards you without a mask on.

keep-calm-and-safety-first-6.png

Vilify? I'm just questioning the 'it's a safety first move to take off your helmet while you lose the sight of the puck and there might be a puck incoming straight to your face.
:)

He didn't know a puck was coming towards him. He took his mask off without knowing a shot was taken.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
But people said he lost the sight of the puck so one should maybe assume that's a possibility when you play the goalie position :)

Because that's what literally every goaltender has been trained to do. Being unable to see is unsafe too.

This whole thread is just going in circles with people talking at each other. Par for the course, really.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Because that's what literally every goaltender has been trained to do. Being unable to see is unsafe too.

This whole thread is just going in circles with people talking at each other. Par for the course, really.

What? Every goalie is trained to throw their mask away when they lose the sight of the puck? :sarcasm:

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I also disagree with the way the rule is written is stupid. It's basically saying a team can shoot the puck at a mask-less goalie all because the goalie's team didn't gain possession of the puck. It's a good thing that refs never call it like this, and actually use common sense most of the time in situations like this. No player should never have to be put into a vulnerable situation like that.

It still amazes me how goalies back in the old days didn't wear masks. But stick technology back then is nowhere near what it is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad