Player Discussion Cam Talbot

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Agree, but every player should try to get better if we want to reach the goal of sipping from Stanley !

I tried to set up this as 'player discussion' so we could analyze our new number 1.

Side note: hope scrivens is working on his weaknesses as I'm not sold on our backup yet . Ben may get an opportunity soon with injuries, etc...

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think he has only been marginally better than Scriven and Fathe last year.

I should clarify that by marginally I mean the distinct difference from very good back-up and NHL average starter.

The team/systems/coaching in front of Talbot is most certainly leagues better than what Scrivs or Fasthe seen.

I hope we can get Nilsson in for another good performance asap. Because I actually see a tiny bit higher upside in Nilsson over Talbot.

I think both are in contract years and both overall have played well, but before I would commit any "real" money or term to either, if I were the Oilers I would want to see them more and hopefully a bit better as well.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
He hasnt been very good period. Even the Montreal game which they should have lost he has them chasing 3-0 from the start.

So far Oiler goalies have won only 1 game for the team this year and that was against Vancouver with Nilsson.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
He'll bounce back, bad game tonight though. Still our best goaltender since Roli.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
He'll bounce back, bad game tonight though. Still our best goaltender since Roli.

No, he's really not.

To be completely honest, I'd say our best goalie since Roli was Dubnyk, despite his last season with us.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Overworked....no backup, call scrivens
Nilsson is fine IMHO. The necessity of playing Ference so much really was an issue this game. The D is paper thin right now so if we have our regular D healthy that cuts a few of those bone headed plays down. I'm not saying the D is great but it is much better when we have a healthy D and don't have to dress our no. 9 D man in Ference.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Yup. Stand by him, he'll redeem himself. He's going to be a great #1, this is just a hiccup.

I agree. He doesn't get emotional or rattled. This is more of a team issue right now. Also if we got the proper call on the goal that got waived off it's a completely different dynamic and we likely win.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Nilsson is fine IMHO. The necessity of playing Ference so much really was an issue this game. The D is paper thin right now so if we have our regular D healthy that cuts a few of those bone headed plays down. I'm not saying the D is great but it is much better when we have a healthy D and don't have to dress our no. 9 D man in Ference.

Maybe, but nilsson showed lack of focus last game, and before that too, that's why talbot has played since. These guys may be better then scrives but for now, if ya can't play nilsson....

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Gotta remember the guy is just learning to be a starter, dealing with the workload and the pressure. He's another guy with not that much history in the NHL that we've gifted a starter job to. I think he has potential, but, like the rest of this team, there will be bumps along the way.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

I can't believe how reactive this board is and how quick they are to create a scapegoat. I'd be harder on Talbot but just look at the awful defensive play of the team in front of him. It's hard to blame him when the shot count is what it is night after night.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
In defense of Talbot the Oilers scored 2 goals in first 2 periods against a beyond useless Flames team and need 2 in the 3rd just to tie. Sucks that Talbot had another bad game but he's had several great games as well. No way should a game against the Flames be close to begin with.

With Calgary on a back to back we should've been able to blow them out of the rink.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010

I can't believe how reactive this board is and how quick they are to create a scapegoat. I'd be harder on Talbot but just look at the awful defensive play of the team in front of him. It's hard to blame him when the shot count is what it is night after night.

Agree, team d is our biggest problem. We also need a solid backup to spell talbot off. Our shot count would burn out quick. Nilsson
May be the answer but not so far....

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He's been very good all season. One bad game shouldn't mean he's incapable of being a starter or the Oilers must start looking elsewhere...

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
His last 5 games save percentage

CAL- .844
MTL- .857
MIN- 857
LAK - .912
WSH - .889

Even if you give him a pass for the Washington game in relief (only 9 shots against), he's been awful the last 5 games. I mean it is only 10 games, but I am starting to worry.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015

Could not agree more with this. I get that he gave up an absolutely unforgivable goal tonight and everyone is ready to run him out of town. But he is still a legitimate goalie and gives the team a chance to win most nights.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Other than tonight, he's been pretty good. At least he's been keeping us in most of the games he's played. With all the Oilers turnovers and horrible defence.. I just don't see many goalies around that will post nice save percentages and low goals against averages. Tonight's game though was totally on him and I'm sure he feels like crap letting the team down. Hopefully he can rebound well.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
His last 5 games save percentage

CAL- .844
MTL- .857
MIN- 857
LAK - .912
WSH - .889

Even if you give him a pass for the Washington game in relief (only 9 shots against), he's been awful the last 5 games. I mean it is only 10 games, but I am starting to worry.
How can anyone call him awful in the LA, Minnesota, and Montreal games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad