Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Uhh nobody is comparing their careers against each other. I'm comparing these last 2 seasons. Talbot has been better since last season, plain and simple.

Staal said Talbot is an All-Star, and you use it as fact he is actually an All-Star... That's ridiculous. Staal calling Talbot an All-Star is the same as a mother saying her kid is the most handsome kid in the world. Take it with a grain of salt. It's just something nice to say. There will never be a teammate who will say Talbot needs some work and to prove himself over a longer period of time. Or say he is better than Lundqvist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Staal said Talbot is an All-Star, and you use it as fact he is actually an All-Star... That's ridiculous. Staal calling Talbot an All-Star is the same as a mother saying her kid is the most handsome kid in the world. Take it with a grain of salt. It's just something nice to say. There will never be a teammate who will say Talbot needs some work and to prove himself over a longer period of time. Or say he is better than Lundqvist.

I think you're reading too much into Staal's statement. I think he's saying Talbot is playing like an All-Star--which, for the period Lundqvist has been out is true.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Uhh nobody is comparing their careers against each other. I'm comparing these last 2 seasons. Talbot has been better since last season, plain and simple.

Where most of Talbot's games were hand picked for him because they were the easiest games, and therefore the best choices for a backup.

Solid comparison.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Cam's save percentage is .956 over his last 11 games and he's only given up 9 goals in his last 8 games. Wow! :amazed:

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Talbot 3rd in sv%, 4th in GAA.

He could have 40 GP, that's a pretty huge workload for a goalie.

Watching the games, I really feel he deserves those good stats to his name because he's played really well on a sometimes questionable defense.

If he had RFA status, I think he would've fetched a huge return.

Funny thing is, I made a mockery of him with my user title and he's played like the best goalie in the world since. He's proving the doubters (especially me) wrong.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Cam's save percentage is .956 over his last 11 games and he's only given up 9 goals in his last 8 games. Wow! :amazed:

These are the kinds of posts that can actually generate positive discussion without causing a schism :).

Talbot has been phenomenal!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

He recovered well after that soft goal he gave up early. Reminded me a bit of the Isles game where he just passed it to Tavares. That game we also had to come back from behind after an unnecessary goal.

Talbot was great afterwards and I'm happy he is our backup

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Talbot 3rd in sv%, 4th in GAA.

He could have 40 GP, that's a pretty huge workload for a goalie.

18-7-4 with 2.14GAA and .928SV% is very strong over 31 games. This year due to Lundqvist's injury, he's essentially been a co-starter, playing 31 games to Henrik's 39 so far. Talbot has not had an easy schedule either. Since Lundqvist went down, T-Bone played against 10 playoff teams and 9 nonplayoff teams. That's not handpicking anything, that's a very solid opposition including 2 games against Nashville, 2 against Chicago, 2 against the Isles. The two games Talbot sat were against the worst team in the NHL where he could've padded his stats.

While as a backup he got easier games last year, his 1.64 and .944 were downright insane. He just abused teams last year. And in both years, he passed the eye test. The guy is definitely good enough to be a starter on many NHL teams.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
He recovered well after that soft goal he gave up early. Reminded me a bit of the Isles game where he just passed it to Tavares. That game we also had to come back from behind after an unnecessary goal.

Talbot was great afterwards and I'm happy he is our backup

He let in 4 more goals in that game...

I'm happy he's our backup, but let's not pretend he wasn't abysmal for a while. Consistency is what separates the backups from the starters. Talbot seems like he's either lights out or God awful. Not much in between.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I'm happy he's our backup, but let's not pretend he wasn't abysmal for a while. Consistency is what separates the backups from the starters. Talbot seems like he's either lights out or God awful. Not much in between.

That's my problem with him. He's Hasek one moment and Biron the next. Nightmares haunting of a 5-hole the size of the Lincoln tunnel faded away when Biron retired, but there are games where I am holding my breath with every shot on goal when Talbot is playing.

He was on a cold streak, now he's on a hot streak. It's great, but he is still not NHL starter material

CaptainMcD

Jan 30, 2012
I like Cam and I was wrong I do think he could be an NHL starter... BUT I don't think Edmonton, Buffalo or another bottom feeder will allow that to happen. Best case for Cam (not for the Rangers obviously) is if a team like Calgary or Winnipeg trades for him. There's competent players on those teams who will allow for his development as he is not a finished product yet. Like others have said he hasn't developed starter consistency (although lately he's been close) and teams like Winnipeg or Calgary have the D that can bail out mistakes. Now, as a Rangers fan and not a Cam fan, I'd much rather see him go to Edmonton in exchange for PIT's 1st rounder but don't discount those decent teams with lackluster goaltending for being able to make a competitive offer of either picks or top-shelf prospects.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York

All NHL goalies have hot and cold streaks but the fact of the matter is that Talbot's overall NHL save % is .933. To say he wouldn't make a good starter (right now) is just bias, IMO.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Those that say Cam Talbot is an elite top-5 NHL goalie are incredibly misguided. It's a ludicrous assertion to make.

That being said, it is equally as ludicrous to state that Cam Talbot is simply "not starter material". He has shown this year that he is definitely capable of being the starting netminder on a lot of teams. And not just bottom feeders either.

He's a very good goalie.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Cam continues to prove his doubters wrong!

Nobody doubts Talbot. Get over it. He's a good goalie, but not the best goalie on the Rangers. He is not a top goalie in the NHL either. His numbers are nice, but he has not even played a full season in games. This was his 55th career NHL game

Last edited:

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
Those that say Cam Talbot is an elite top-5 NHL goalie are incredibly misguided. It's a ludicrous assertion to make.

That being said, it is equally as ludicrous to state that Cam Talbot is simply "not starter material". He has shown this year that he is definitely capable of being the starting netminder on a lot of teams. And not just bottom feeders either.

He's a very good goalie.

Not necessarily ludicrous. McDonagh might have been the Mo Lewis our franchise needs to reach dynasty mode. We might have found our Brady and it might be time to put the Bledsoe out to pasture. Come playoff time feed the hot guy.

When Talbot wins this town a cup in a couple months we might have a new king.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Not necessarily ludicrous. McDonagh might have been the Mo Lewis our franchise needs to reach dynasty mode. We might have found our Brady and it might be time to put the Bledsoe out to pasture. Come playoff time feed the hot guy.

When Talbot wins this town a cup in a couple months we might have a new king.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read in my life on these boards.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Nobody doubts Talbot. Get over it. He's a good goalie, but not the best goalie on the Rangers. He is not a top goalie in the NHL either. His numbers are nice, but he has not even played a full season in games. This was his 55th career NHL goal

Very impressive for a goaltender.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This is the most ridiculous thing I've read in my life on these boards.

And that is saying something since we've had a guy claming Enver Lisin was the real deal, Chad Johnson was named Prince Chad, and Del Zotto was going to be our Bobby Orr hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad