Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Another rough outing by The Bot today, giving up a goal. His GAA (1.62) and SV% (.940) is the best in the league, as is the percentage of games he's won of those he played.

His 10 wins still puts him in the top-30 in the league, on par with the lower-end starters, which is remarkable for a kid who started the season in the AHL and is now a backup to a superstar goalie.

I know everyone's waiting for him to collapse, but people have been waiting for that since his stellar play in Alabama in 2009. But I'm sure it will happen any second now...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This season could have been in free fall without him. He's had one so-so outing in 15 games played. Most of his performances have been great. 10 wins by your backup at the 50 game mark is really good.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
For some reasons, the team does seem to play better in front of him. Maybe subconsciously, they feel Hank can handle whereas Cam is like a little bro that you try to protect more. Funny that Kreids kisses him after every win. Dunno if he does that with Hank.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This season could have been in free fall without him. He's had one so-so outing in 15 games played. Most of his performances have been great. 10 wins by your backup at the 50 game mark is really good.

Without him, we'd probably have someone like Biron as the backup and if you replace 10 wins with just 5 wins, we are last in the Division, with the same number of points as the Islanders, but in more games played.

He came in and stabilized the team. Lundqvist finally felt like he doesn't always need to be perfect. He's been the most important backup this team has had since Richter-Beezer were playing together.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Talbot brings a sense of confidence that it's awesome to have as a fan. If we've learned one harsh reality this year, it's that Hank isn't perfect. And I'm not throwing Hank under the bus here. Nobody is perfect. It's just nice to know that if Hank has a bad streak, we have a goalie that can take a couple of games. It's nice to know that if there's a back to back against two good teams, we have a goalie that can take any game. If Hank ever got banged up, we have a goalie that could keep our heads above water.

There's always been the horror question of "what if something happened to Hank?" I'm not too afraid of that with Talbot. And again, I'm not saying we'd be just fine if Hank got hurt for a whole season or if he had left in free agency. But say he missed two weeks, heaven forbid. We would sail above water with Talbot.

It's nice to have that extra layer.

If anything, if Talbot keeps up his play over a larger sample size, since Lundqvist is here to stay, we may be able to flip him in a trade for an asset we use every night. Which would also be awesome.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
With Hank going, and CamBOT providing a worry-free night off, goaltending is good in Rangerland

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Hank isn't perfect. And I'm not throwing Hank under the bus here. Nobody is perfect. It's just nice to know that if Hank has a bad streak, we have a goalie that can take a couple of games.

This also makes it less likely that Lundqvist will have a cold streak.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
A *very* pleasant surprise after we lost 5-hole to retirement. He's not perfect, but he's been solid, and has in my opinion had our backs when we struggled the most and needed a win to stay afloat. Questionable goal to give up today, but overall a solid performance to keep the Rangers train running.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
5 more wins and he'll have the highest number we've had from a backup since the 04-05 lockout.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Talbot brings a sense of confidence that it's awesome to have as a fan. If we've learned one harsh reality this year, it's that Hank isn't perfect. And I'm not throwing Hank under the bus here. Nobody is perfect. It's just nice to know that if Hank has a bad streak, we have a goalie that can take a couple of games. It's nice to know that if there's a back to back against two good teams, we have a goalie that can take any game. If Hank ever got banged up, we have a goalie that could keep our heads above water.

There's always been the horror question of "what if something happened to Hank?" I'm not too afraid of that with Talbot. And again, I'm not saying we'd be just fine if Hank got hurt for a whole season or if he had left in free agency. But say he missed two weeks, heaven forbid. We would sail above water with Talbot.

It's nice to have that extra layer.

If anything, if Talbot keeps up his play over a larger sample size, since Lundqvist is here to stay, we may be able to flip him in a trade for an asset we use every night. Which would also be awesome.

Ehhh, as much as I love what Talbot has brought, it's just so different being a starter versus being a backup. Who knows how Talbot would handle the pressure of being THE GUY for EVERY GAME. We have no idea how he'd handle that heavy of a workload.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
A *very* pleasant surprise after we lost 5-hole to retirement. He's not perfect, but he's been solid, and has in my opinion had our backs when we struggled the most and needed a win to stay afloat. Questionable goal to give up today, but overall a solid performance to keep the Rangers train running.

I think his performance has been more than solid. He's been downright ridiculous. Oh, and while the goal he gave up today isn't the best moment of his career, to make 29 saves on 30 shots is terrific anyway.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Who knows how Talbot would handle the pressure of being THE GUY for EVERY GAME. We have no idea how he'd handle that heavy of a workload.

We kind of do from his AHL performance when he had to play something like 30 games in a row behind the league's worst defensive team. People will say that the AHL is different than the NHL, and no doubt it is, but the chances he faced there were ridiculous. On a regular basis, usually in the third period, the team would break down and start giving up the puck right in front of him half a dozen times in half a period.

AHL players are inferior to NHLers, but I don't think it's easier to stop a breakaway in the AHL than it is to stop a slapper from the blue line.

There's nothing to suggest he can't handle a massive game load and keep up his performance. That's been his MO in Alabama and Hartford. If anything, there were questions how he'd handle playing one every other week as a backup.

Richter915

Feb 2, 2010
For some reasons, the team does seem to play better in front of him. Maybe subconsciously, they feel Hank can handle whereas Cam is like a little bro that you try to protect more. Funny that Kreids kisses him after every win. Dunno if he does that with Hank.
this has been the team's attitude since 2007 pretty much.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Another rough outing by The Bot today, giving up a goal. His GAA (1.62) and SV% (.940) is the best in the league, as is the percentage of games he's won of those he played.

His 10 wins still puts him in the top-30 in the league, on par with the lower-end starters, which is remarkable for a kid who started the season in the AHL and is now a backup to a superstar goalie.

I know everyone's waiting for him to collapse, but people have been waiting for that since his stellar play in Alabama in 2009. But I'm sure it will happen any second now...

Not sure why there is a taunting nature to your post. We are all happy that Talbot is playing so well.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Who's waiting for him to collapse? There's people around here that have suggesting trading Hank and sticking with Talbot.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It's really nice to have faith in the back up, for once.

He has such a calming demeanor it's almost scary. Like you could fire a puck at his face and he wouldn't flinch.

He's making the big saves to keep his team in the game, and they've been responding with goals.

I'm also very impressed that he plays at high levels even after long stretches of not playing.

Keep it up Cambot. We need you.

crowder

Goalbuster
Apr 29, 2009
Talbot is a wonderful goaltending addition to the Rangers. He's been able to take some of the heat off Lundy, and get us a lot of important points.

And with that helmet o his, I now refer to him as the Goalbuster.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Talbot is a wonderful goaltending addition to the Rangers. He's been able to take some of the heat off Lundy, and get us a lot of important points.

And with that helmet o his, I now refer to him as the Goalbuster.

LOLed at Goalbuster. Will use it in the future.

crowder

Goalbuster
Apr 29, 2009
Speakin o which, surprise start tonight in net for the one and only Goalbuster! hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad