Recalled/Assigned: Calvin Pickard

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Considering he hasn't had a single call up since, I would say it's been quite a bit of a questionable way of treating him but he's also had some injuries along the way which probably hasn't helped.

he also isn't very good. McElhinney is better and sparks and pickard are close enough to equal that selecting the one with the better NHL experience is totally justified

member 262271

Oh I didn't know Curtis was hurt, thought this might spell the end of his tenure. Classy move to bring up Calvin to face his former team.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sparks will have a solid AHL-career.

Pickard looks like he could possibly have some sort of NHL career.

Not a difficult decision in my eyes.

Why hasn't Pickard outplayed Sparks in any of his AHL years then? He's also older by almost a year.

Weird to me how the older player can have more potential? Almost makes no sense and you're just saying things.

Reactions: bobermay

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
he also isn't very good. McElhinney is better and sparks and pickard are close enough to equal that selecting the one with the better NHL experience is totally justified

If Sparks isn't good, neither is Pickard.

McBackup is a fine goaltender and no reason to believe that Sparks or even Pickard can't have better careers.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Why hasn't Pickard outplayed Sparks in any of his AHL years then? He's also older by almost a year.

Weird to me how the older player can have more potential? Almost makes no sense and you're just saying things.
You can keep telling yourself that Sparks is being treated unfairly but that won't make it true.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You can keep telling yourself that Sparks is being treated unfairly but that won't make it true.

I'm saying Sparks is better, and he has been better, and deserved it more. How is this untrue?

You're saying Pickard is better and with more potential but Sparks has been better and is younger.

Lordy lord have mercy.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If Sparks isn't good, neither is Pickard.

McBackup is a fine goaltender and no reason to believe that Sparks or even Pickard can't have better careers.

right both aren't very good. so we called up the one with the better resume in the NHL its a pretty simple decision. that's what depth is it isn't going to be better than what they are replacing.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
right both aren't very good. so we called up the one with the better resume in the NHL its a pretty simple decision. that's what depth is it isn't going to be better than what they are replacing.

And what I'm saying is that Sparks has been better and thus based on merit, it should have gone to him.

Good golly I think it makes perfect sense, don't you?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
TJ Brennan has been incredible in the AHL.

We should look to re-acquire him as well.

Since when is a 22 YO NHL goaltender (Age Sparks was when he debuted in the NHL), a bust?

Sparks has done nothing but prove that he deserves a legitimate shot at the NHL during his career in the AHL.

I really don't get this Sparks hate around here... Goaltenders take a while to develop... Sparks is just 24 years old.... Its silly to write him off right now.

Reactions: Elephanto

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
And what I'm saying is that Sparks has been better and thus based on merit, it should have gone to him.

Speaking in a demeaning tone won't make you correct either.

Act like an adult. It's just a conversation.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

eh, at that level of needing an injury replacement short term. I go with the guy who proved more in the NHL over AHL numbers.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
eh, at that level of needing an injury replacement short term. I go with the guy who proved more in the NHL over AHL numbers.

You can't possibly ever prove your NHL worth if you don't get a shot. That makes no sense.

Should we also call up Greening over Kapanen next time?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
No but it'll make me feel better knowing that I can make sarcastic comments.

It does feel better.
I see that you're in a mood.

Regardless, I don't think they could have gone wrong with either Sparks or Pickard. My personal preference is Pickard and in reality, it'll just be for one game anyways.

This would be a much bigger discussion had it been Andersen that went down.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

More NHL experience likely the reason, and not potential. He would also have some insight into the players he might face.

You would really have to stretch to suggest Pickard is currently the better goaltender.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
ok but professional management team with scouts and development coaches decided Pickard was the better option.

Justin Bourne, Marlies video analyst from 2015-2017 and now Athletic NHL columnist, also agrees that Sparks should have been called up. The only reason why he wasn't was probably because of his recent injury and probably isn't 100% quite yet despite being able to play.

Appealing to authority means literally nothing. I can make my own opinions on the matter. Pro scouts and management teams also thought that waiving Malcom Subban was a good idea.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
If this is an emergency recall it's likely only for a single game or two.
But sure..lets get the discussion going on who's better than who. And who's mistreating who.
If Mcbackup departs from this team in the offseason and a spot opens, then, we can discuss who's the better option.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
As a few others mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if playing the Avs played into the decision to call up Pickard.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It could be the injury to Sparks, but there's been quite a few indications that the team doesn't really think that highly of Sparks as an NHL goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00