Recalled/Assigned: Calvin Pickard

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Pickard is a mediocre goaltender at the AHL level, and that is putting it kindly. I have to hand it to him though, he has a lot of people convinced to the contrary despite being a barely AHL caliber goalie.
You could not be more wrong if you tried. He is our best Goal prospect and has proven he is an NHL caliber goaltender as well as proven on the world stage he is a very talented goalie.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Strange that the NHL rules would allow emergency recalls when a normal recall could be made and the necessary cap space was available. We had an open spot with Kap being sent down and the necessary cap space. I get why the Leafs would do it this way if it meant being able to avoid waivers to send him back down, but it's weird that the league rules would allow for emergency recalls when a normal recall could have been done to solve the issue at hand.
He was eligible to be called up without clearing waivers on the way back down as when he had not used his waiver eligibility when he was claimed is my belief. As well was Kap not sent down because we recalled Marincin and we were at Max roster spots

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He was eligible to be called up without clearing waivers on the way back down as when he had not used his waiver eligibility when he was claimed is my belief. As well was Kap not sent down because we recalled Marincin and we were at Max roster spots

Who waived a guy is irrelevant. The waiver time and uses move with the player. It's the same 30 days or 10 games for us as it would have been for Vegas, once that passed it's just like a normal player again. It seems like we were able to use an emergency recall loophole of sorts to avoid waivers on the demotion again. I just thought it was strange how we could use an emergency recall when a normal recall was completely doable.

The roster was at 22, Marincin's spot was opened up by Zaitsev going on IR. Kap was sent down without a reciprocal move which left us at 22 before Pickard's recall.

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Who waived a guy is irrelevant. The waiver time and uses move with the player. It's the same 30 days or 10 games for us as it would have been for Vegas, once that passed it's just like a normal player again. It seems like we were able to use an emergency recall loophole of sorts to avoid waivers on the demotion again. I just thought it was strange how we could use an emergency recall when a normal recall was completely doable.

The roster was at 22, Marincin's spot was opened up by Zaitsev going on IR. Kap was sent down without a reciprocal move which left us at 22 before Pickard's recall.

I think it would be in the best interest of the NHLPA to allow waiver eligible players to be brought up to NHL and bypass waivers in the event that you need them temporarily due to injury. If a club has a younger waiver exempt player in AHL, and an older waiver eligible player in AHL, it would provide incentive to teams to let the waiver eligible player not get the temporary replacement money and opportunity.

Why not allow “emergency” recalls all the time when the circumstances are injury? It’s in everyone’s best interest.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think it would be in the best interest of the NHLPA to allow waiver eligible players to be brought up to NHL and bypass waivers in the event that you need them temporarily due to injury. If a club has a younger waiver exempt player in AHL, and an older waiver eligible player in AHL, it would provide incentive to teams to let the waiver eligible player not get the temporary replacement money and opportunity.

Why not allow “emergency” recalls all the time when the circumstances are injury? It’s in everyone’s best interest.

I already said I'm completely fine with the procedure to allow that. I just find it odd that it's called emergency which in the CBA is often used to describe times when teams don't have the sufficient roster spot or cap space available to make such a move but need more players to ice a sufficient team. Ergo it's an emergency to recall this player which they are unable to do under other means.

It could just as easily be called an temporary injury recall with those specifications. Which is all semantics anyway, my only point was that I found it odd that a recall termed "emergency" can be used when a normal recall was completely possible. Seems to go against the definition of emergency.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I already said I'm completely fine with the procedure to allow that. I just find it odd that it's called emergency which in the CBA is often used to describe times when teams don't have the sufficient roster spot or cap space available to make such a move but need more players to ice a sufficient team. Ergo it's an emergency to recall this player which they are unable to do under other means.

It could just as easily be called an temporary injury recall with those specifications. Which is all semantics anyway, my only point was that I found it odd that a recall termed "emergency" can be used when a normal recall was completely possible. Seems to go against the definition of emergency.

Yea I wasn’t implying that you were against this or anything. It’s just you referred to it as a loophole which implies Leafs are somehow gaming the system, but I can see an angle in which this is all fair play for all parties and intentionally incorporated into the procedure.

On a tangent, do we know it was actually an official emergency recall, versus Leafs somehow getting permission from Pickard to recall him while waiving his right to waivers? Sometimes media make assumptions on matters that Leafs management otherwise have tightly covered.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Yea I wasn’t implying that you were against this or anything. It’s just you referred to it as a loophole which implies Leafs are somehow gaming the system, but I can see an angle in which this is all fair play for all parties and intentionally incorporated into the procedure.

On a tangent, do we know it was actually an official emergency recall, versus Leafs somehow getting permission from Pickard to recall him while waiving his right to waivers? Sometimes media make assumptions on matters that Leafs management otherwise have tightly covered.

Fair enough. I probably shouldn't have said loophole, as it's more likely that that's the purpose of the rule and not some workaround someone found to exploit.

As for the last part I'm not sure. I don't believe a player is able to waive their right to waivers though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->