Recalled/Assigned: Calvin Pickard

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Well...this will hopefully shut everyone up about the "trade mcbackup" crap everytime the poor bastard lets in a goal.

Reactions: DarkKnight

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I feel like Sparks gets a lot of flack for his NHL stint, which wasn't great but that Horachek squad was beyond awful.. He's been excellent the last few seasons in the A and if 100% healthy he should have been the go too option.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I feel like Sparks gets a lot of flack for his NHL stint, which wasn't great but that Horachek squad was beyond awful.. He's been excellent the last few seasons in the A and if 100% healthy he should have been the go too option.

I see no reason why he won’t get another shot if he keeps up his play. His numbers have been very solid and very consistent ever since he went back to the Marlies two years ago.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
As a few others mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if playing the Avs played into the decision to call up Pickard.

No id almost guarantee they called up the guy that they think will give us the best chance to win. This could be due to sparks being injured of course, but I highly doubt there was a "oh we are playing colarado lets call pickard"

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Lots of need for a short term goalie around the league. Maybe there is more interest in Pickard and that had some influence in the call up decision.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm not sure it matters much either way. Both guys have played well. Sparks has better numbers in the AHL right now, but there are probably more factors involved then just looking at their stats and calling up a guy based on that.

Maybe they feel that playing him against his old team will be effective or that he'll be more capable of flying out to Colorado on short notice and putting up a good performance. It isn't just calling up a guy but potentially playing him upon arrival. And Denver as a city is pretty elevated. Might be harder on Sparks to suddenly fly out there and be thrown out for a game.

In the end I don't see the problem. Pickard has some skills, let's see what he can do.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Good to finally see what we have with Pickard. I'm sure he's more than fired up to show his stuff., especially against the team that let him go.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Justin Bourne, Marlies video analyst from 2015-2017 and now Athletic NHL columnist, also agrees that Sparks should have been called up. The only reason why he wasn't was probably because of his recent injury and probably isn't 100% quite yet despite being able to play.

Appealing to authority means literally nothing. I can make my own opinions on the matter. Pro scouts and management teams also thought that waiving Malcom Subban was a good idea.

Its not really appealing to authority they are nearly identical level goaltenders one has a better more extensive NHL resume. It is for a couple of games at most, why bring up sparks and hope when numbers suggest at the NHL level pickard can do a better job for us?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Lots of need for a short term goalie around the league. Maybe there is more interest in Pickard and that had some influence in the call up decision.

how much do you think either player is going to add to their value by playing 1 game maybe 2? when is our next back to back?. they are both worth a 3rd at absolute most, low level backups. Also if their is more interest in Pickard then he would likely be the better goaltender then we should keep him and trade sparks or neither and keep our depth instead of a 3rd or more likely 4th round pick

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Its not really appealing to authority they are nearly identical level goaltenders one has a better more extensive NHL resume. It is for a couple of games at most, why bring up sparks and hope when numbers suggest at the NHL level pickard can do a better job for us?

Because I think he deserves the call up more based on recent results. It's not a big deal and Pickard likely will do just fine.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It could be the injury to Sparks, but there's been quite a few indications that the team doesn't really think that highly of Sparks as an NHL goalie.
Up unti, this season, he was really just a placeholder, due to our lack of depth at the position. I'll say this, Sparks has been very impressive this year, but I agree the organization really wasn't that high on him (and for good reason, he didn't look like anything more than a backup at best).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Because I think he deserves the call up more based on recent results. It's not a big deal and Pickard likely will do just fine.

it really isn't,

anyway lets hope for a shutout tonight
:cheers: enjoy one free virtual beer on me

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
I predict (as I did earlier in the week) that Andy will play again tonite and also in Vegas ( if he has a good game tonite).

Pickard played poorly Weds so Sparks goes tonite. Dont think it would be fair to start Calvin after a long flight, especially when there are 2 points to be had. Our offense has it mojo back, Vegas still has us as -120 to -140 favorites.

I believe Pickard has to clear waivers if he is sent back to the AHL so I would think there is a deal in the wind including him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I predict (as I did earlier in the week) that Andy will play again tonite and also in Vegas ( if he has a good game tonite).

Pickard played poorly Weds so Sparks goes tonite. Dont think it would be fair to start Calvin after a long flight, especially when there are 2 points to be had. Our offense has it mojo back, Vegas still has us as -120 to -140 favorites.

I believe Pickard has to clear waivers if he is sent back to the AHL so I would think there is a deal in the wind including him.

Reactions: 54thecup

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think they are open to keeping one of Pickard or Sparks as McE's replacement going forward. Both need game time with the big club to prove themselves so it doesn't matter who comes up first. Also CP has the NHL experience so with any kind of a showing as a call up he has trade value which Sparks doesn't have. Agree Sparks has been the more dominant but I wouldn't want to give up on one without being certain I was keeping the right guy. Looking forward to seeing if Pickard is an NHL goalie or not. McE could get Wally Pipped for sure, but 2.78 and .916 is not bad for a backup so I would guess Pickard would need to really rock it for that to happen.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Time for us non-McElhinney fans to put our money where our mouth is, so to speak.
I hope he plays well.

I'm curious about the conditions. Is it 10 games, or 30 days, which ever comes first or last?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Considering he hasn't had a single call up since, I would say it's been quite a bit of a questionable way of treating him but he's also had some injuries along the way which probably hasn't helped.

Didn't he make some questionable comment on Twitter or Instagram some time ago? Could that be one reason why?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Didn't he make some questionable comment on Twitter or Instagram some time ago? Could that be one reason why?

IIRC, he was defending a disabled person but said "you sound like a 13 year old girl" at the end of his message which got him in trouble with the Leafs.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Hope he plays well and thus allowing us to flip McBackup. He's been great but if Pickard shows he's an NHL back up caliber goalie then we might as get assets back.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Sparks has only played one game since December 16th and that was 2 days ago when he gave up 5 goals. I'm sure he'd have got the call if he had been playing regularly. Pickard played the 4 games from the 17th to the 26th so is more game ready. I think it's that simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad